Author Topic: "90% approval rating" (Whistles)  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
"90% approval rating" (Whistles)
« on: November 15, 2001, 02:29:00 PM »
"I love the nightlife, I love to boogie..."

:)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2001, 02:38:00 PM »

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2001, 02:42:00 PM »
i thought it was "i love the nightlife, i love the boogie"

i like to think of it as THE boogie  :D i love THE boogie baby owww

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2001, 02:44:00 PM »
heh, not sure, never paid too much attention to Disco lyrics because I always had my Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin cranked up too loud.  :D

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort:
heh, not sure, never paid too much attention to Disco lyrics because I always had my Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin cranked up too loud.   :D

I was too busy playing pong or atari  :) on them disco niiiiiiiiights yeah.

:D

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2001, 03:48:00 PM »
Wars are almost always good for a politician's popularity. Nothing new here.

It's why Maggie Thatcher defended the Falklands.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2001, 04:15:00 PM »
It's also why that moron Galtieri invaded the Falklands in the first place.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2001, 04:19:00 PM »
LMAO that 2nd pic made me spit little chunks of turkey and stuffing on my monitor. Thanks alot Rip.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2001, 05:33:00 PM »
True, Hangtime.

A waste of good lives over some freezing piece of rock.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2001, 06:47:00 PM »
and dont forget the huge oil reserve thought to be deep under the falklands that presently is thought to be too deep for our current drilling technology.
Some estimate there is enough oil under there to supply the worlds petrol needs for some 10 years.

worthless peice of freezing rock eh?  :)

Offline GWH

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2001, 07:43:00 PM »
What Dowding said.

For example, Giuliani's also benefited from these unfortunate events.  I've always sorta liked the guy, but it was something to see many of his historical detractors praise him.  Weird, but nice.   :)

It's just like what happened to Dubya's dad during Desert Shield/Desert Storm.  These sorts of events tend to get the population rallying around their leaders.  When things settle down a bit things we'll see what happens (anyone remember the economy or the potential erosion of civil rights?).

Also, keep in mind that before this all went down, Dubya's rating was around or below 50%, depending on which poll you looked at.

Besides, high approvals don't mean that the boy has become any more competent or intelligent than he when he was before these unfortunate happenings.  Regardless, let's all be glad that Cheney's running the show from at least 5 miles away.   :)

Anyhow, I hear ya' on the Zep and Floyd!   :)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2001, 07:52:00 PM »
..and his reduction of the nuke arsenal?

Without years of negotiation?

Any complaints?

Or is this a bad thing and I just don't realize that?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline GWH

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2001, 09:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Toad:
[QB]..and his reduction of the nuke arsenal?

Without years of negotiation?

QB]

These speeches were positive, but the negotiations have yet to happen because there's been no attempt to formalize this into an international agreement.  As I read it, both parties agree that getting rid of up to two-thirds of their Cold War-era long-range nuclear arsenals would be a good thing, but there are disagreements as to the details.  I would guess that Dubya's priority for these talks was the ABM/NMD issue, which was not resolved.

And, given the current situation, I don't know if this would even register on Dubya's popularity meter (he can't get much higher).  Hell, I bet many people are unaware of it, which is a shame.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2001, 09:42:00 PM »
Well, GW's the boss and he said at his press conference that WE were gonna just do it.

So this is a BAD thing?

Still leaves us with 2000+, IIRC.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline GWH

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2001, 10:31:00 PM »
Yep, Bush had been considering significant reductions (w/o similar Russian reductions) before these talks.  That seems fine by me, of course, it's not OUR nukes that we should necessarily be worried about.   :(  ~2,200 long-range warheads seems like it would be enough, but M.A.D. strategizing (or is it strategerizing now? - j/k) isn't my area of expertise.   :)

I don't know what this has to do with Dubya's current approval ratings, though, since those pretty clearly due to other circumstances.