Author Topic: For those following the WWIIO saga...  (Read 897 times)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
For those following the WWIIO saga...
« on: November 18, 2001, 04:28:00 PM »
Layoffs have occurred, one of them being Hoof. Not good, not good at all. Can't post there to say "Sorry, Hoof", so I'll say it here.  :(

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2001, 05:00:00 PM »
For whom the bell tolls...

Where did you hear this?

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2001, 05:09:00 PM »
Straight off the board. At first a rumor, confirmed by Killer, then Hoof stepped forward as one of the released. It is true.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2001, 05:41:00 PM »
That's really too bad.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2001, 05:46:00 PM »
You know what rodents do when the ship sinks.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2001, 08:28:00 PM »
Just a case of someone in Texas descriminating against a webfoot.

Hope it works out for you Hoof<S>

AKDejaVu

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2001, 03:29:00 PM »
Well it was not just Hoof. Borrowed from "elsewhere" (a public place but also seen on a private source) is a list of those reportedly laid off. And there's several there I recognize as "founts" for the patently false pre-release hype and bullsh&t:

Gryf
Snail
Hoof
Hoss
Caligula
Vandal
Kango
Tongue
---
Salad
Meat (these two apparently quit)
---
Plus all of the Mac development people.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2001, 03:33:00 PM »
Hmmm... that's quite a list.  Just who the hell does that leave?  Killer?

AKDejaVu

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2001, 03:42:00 PM »
Mo, Hatch, Killer, Frying Tiger, DocDoom, Rafter, Ramp as a few names not tossed about as having already left (like Flapz) or been booted.

Westy

Offline -moto-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2001, 03:54:00 PM »
Hmm,
No mac software boy is MG gonna be pissed
LOL  :cool:

Moto

Offline Cabby44

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2001, 03:54:00 PM »
Hoss
Caligula

That is/was the Mac Team.  

This is sad.  WWIIOL has the best idea in WWII MMP Sims, but it's many problems with the initial release hurt it badly.  I know many of you AH FanBoys can't stomach anything but Aces HIgh Uber Alles, but if(as Air Warrior did)WWIIOL dies, or if WBIII dies, we ALL will lose a lot too.  A lot.

Whether ANY Online MMP WWII Air Combat Sim can survive economically is very much in doubt.  We may end up having to play on somebody's dedicated server(like we do with NASCAR 4, Grand Prix Legends, Falcon 4, and possibly IL-2, and SOMEBODY has to pay for the bandwidth/equipment) with very "mission specific" gameplay.

Some people, especially the "hardcore grognards" may like this, but many, many players won't.........

I can't believe some of you jack-asses take pleasure in the  financial demise, or the financial struggles of, a bunch of people trying their damndest to bring a concept to life that they BELIEVE in very much but, on upon further consideration based on reading the Aces High BBS from it's inception, i'm not surprised at all........

Cabby

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Cabby44 ]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2001, 04:04:00 PM »
You are correct Cabby.  Most of us "AH fanboys" just sit back and criticize CorneredRat for no real reason.  Its not like any of us went and spent $40 on the game when it was first released only to find one of the most buggy poorly implemented MMPGs we'd ever seen.  Nah... its just blind jealousy.

You guys that stuck with the game are the real heroes.  The ones that insisted that all the bugs, CTDs and framerate problems would be fixed in the next patch.  The ones that insisted that intentions merrited support as opposed to results.  The ones that insisted that any problems were end-user issues and couldn't possibly by CR's fault.

Yep.. we're just fanboys over here.

AKDejaVu

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2001, 04:31:00 PM »
While I was vocal on the WWIIO boards about things, and while I was hammered for doing so, I still don't like to see people become unemployed.

Cabby, your ad hoc attack on the AH community in this case is unmerited. There are people here that do play the other game, have played the other game, and assuming some day it is playable, will play the other game. I played, I found it unsuitable to me, I left. Is that so bad?

Like AKD said, some of us paid money (therefore supported the project) and have a right to our opinions. That said, I don't see anyone clicking their heels in glee that people have lost their jobs.

Step down off the soapbox. I understand the free market society as well as any, and competition is good. I feel options for the consumer are good, too. I didn't find the other sim appealing, and tragically neither did the majority of people who bought the game. And, like AKD, I grew very tired of being told the game was great when it wasn't, and that all the probs were end-user. I do feel sorry for those that are released; I must say however I feel the others will follow shortly. The writing is on the wall.

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2001, 06:31:00 PM »
That's sad to hear.  :(
Some good folks are out of work.

If not for Gryf helping a newbie like me, I would have given up on online flight sims almost 3 years ago.

But hell, you got to give them credit for taking a chance and giving it a good shot. <S>

Offline -moto-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2001, 06:44:00 PM »
Hey Cabby'
I payed my 40 bucks for WW2 so i can say whatever I f@#KING LIKE ABOUT THAT toejam SOFTWARE.It is sad that Hoss and Cal got canned  :(
now go back to your beloved WB3   :rolleyes:

Moto