Author Topic: so long habeus corpus.  (Read 5851 times)

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 11:50:17 AM »
gracious choirboy
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Bluefish

• Copper Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 12:21:07 PM »
I don't suppose it's significant that Abraham Lincoln suspended the writ of habeas corpus without even bothering to ask Congress, and for much the same reason ("...[D]isloyal persons are not adequately restrained by the ordinary processes of law from hindering this measure [suppression of the rebellion] and from giving aid and comfort in various ways to the insurrection." ).  BTW, in the same proclamation he also set up military tribunals to try civilians.  (http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?document=425).

History seems to have forgiven him, despite the fact that he was a Republican too.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 12:26:15 PM by Bluefish »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 12:30:12 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
I got a couple of PMs asking for links about this, figured I'd post them here:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2579729
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/10/17/olbermann-the-day-habeas-corpus-died/

Crooks and liars!?! :rofl Why not just link Democratic underground?:lol

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 12:30:24 PM »
Lincoln's actions had a tremendous long term effect on our liberties.  I'm no fan of the South and the politics that it espoused, but I believe Lincoln's actions were unconstitutional as well.  Armed rebellion is almost encouraged in the documents that establish our country, and changing the rules mid-stream the way he did set a dangerous precedent.  Today's signing is another brick in that road that leads away from the image our founding fathers had.  I don't know where this road is going, but I suspect it is not Oz.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 12:32:35 PM »
Rip, care to comment on the content?  I know you understand the definition Holden McGroin provided earlier in this thread.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 12:36:14 PM »
Just wondering how long it is till the goons start knocking on doors delcaring us to be 'enemy combatants"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 12:39:13 PM »
Hmm, preventing representation for enemy combatants of the US who want to bring in a nuclear weapon and vaporize your community...or eliminating habeus corpus....tough decision...

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 12:41:00 PM »
so Chairboy, please tell us how you would fight the terrorists that will kill women and childern, (maybe you or your neighbors), and call themselves heros.

tell us please, or maybe more important , tell the president and congress.

save us Chairboy, save us.

Chairboy has no answers, he can only criticize, he wants to give the protections of the constitution to those that willingly kill women and childern.

appeaser.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 12:44:06 PM by john9001 »

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 12:45:45 PM »
Originally posted by Hawco
Just wondering how long it is till the goons start knocking on doors delcaring us to be 'enemy combatants"

They're just waiting for our guns to be taken away.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 12:47:00 PM »
just because you think that somebody might want to nook you doesnt mean that the government should EVER exclude the rights of any citizen to know thier accuser, know what charges are being brought against them or have the right to a public trial with legal representation.

suddenly, we find ourselves in an war against an unnamed enemy with no clear way of knowing when it is over.

i dont like it.  not one bit.

for the life of me i cannot understand how anyone who was raised to believe in a fair and equitable society could.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 01:17:33 PM by JB88 »
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 12:47:41 PM »
"Chairboy has no answers, he can only criticize, he wants to give the protections of the constitution to those that willingly kill women and childern."

If said killers are US citizens, they deserve the protection of the constitution.  Without that, all you're left with is vigilante justice.

J_A_B

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 12:49:34 PM »
Originally posted by JB88
just because you think that somebody might want to nook you doesnt mean that the government should EVER eclude the rights of any citizen to know thier accuser, know what charges are being brought against them or have the right to a public trial with legal representation.

suddenly, we find ourselves in an war against an unnamed enemy with no clear way of knowing when it is over.

i dont like it.  not one bit.

and for the life of me i cannot understand how anyone who was raised to believe in a fair and equitable society could.
So release everyone in Gitmo and house them in the liberal households of the US. Problem solved!

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 12:54:42 PM »
JAB, you talk about vigilante justice like it's a bad thing.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 01:11:50 PM »
it makes great made-for-TV movies

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 01:25:01 PM »
whatever happened to H.R. Pufnstuf?  We could sure use some of that flute action around here :rolleyes:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns