Author Topic: Pointless Gameplay.  (Read 8790 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2006, 03:47:12 PM »
I too have no respect for someone who head fakes like he's not going to HO but instead go for a conventional merge then pulls for a HO at the last second. To me that indicates a person who doesn't really want to fight, but not only that, is so insecure about the HO crapshoot he doesn't want to pre-emptively telegraph his intention to HO for fear of reciprocation from someone who may have better aim/luck... So, in a way, he is worse than the pure Ho-rat.

My personal philosophy is this. I enjoy fights I love to fight but if I have no other viable option I will HO. There are occasions where the correct move is to HO. An example would be on a rope where the great climbing turny plane has just enough E left to nose up and spray in your direction as you are coming over the top for a shot. In that situation you have gravity assist on your side and he has gravity fighting him causing his nose to bounce all over. In that situation you almost always want to take that HO rather than blowing some more E relative to him to try for a more favorable attack position. Another situation where HO'ing is the right move is if you're engaged with a lightly armed plane like the fm2 or p51b who is determined to sacrafice E/angles for the HO and you are in a heavy cannon plane with little or no opportunity to manuever for a rear quarter shot. I'll almost always olidge that type.

Generally speaking, someone who has other viable options, especially in a co-alt/co-e same plane encounter, but still HO's, is devoid of imagination, totally inept, or stupid, or some combination of those three. Why would anyone gamble 50/50 when they could fight unless they believe their chance of winning an even fight is less than 50/50, which is a self-admission they suck. By taking the HO in those situations, they guarentee they will always suck and never improve...

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
you got pawned

i Ho because the noobs keep turning their nose at me and wont give me a nice 6 shot and if i get a chance i ram them, it really upsets them.:D
your a lamer no skill!  Don't post in this thread!  You are outclassed to say the least!

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2006, 04:02:43 PM »
Originally posted by NCLawman
I watched the film from both your "perspectives".  I did not see the rudder kick you described.  It was difficult to make out when watching the film from "your" plane.  But when I watched it from "the other plane's front", it appeared that you dove underneath and were beginning a rolling climb and pulled up right in front of his guns giving a snap cross shot of your fuselage.  He took the shot and took off your plane's tail section.

However, the one issue I see when watching the film:  After you began the climb, you pulled in front of his nose.  He banged off a few rounds in the snapshot that appeared to miss and you were then clear of his gunsight and front end.  Yet, the computer started scoring hits and knocked off your tail after it appeared your were safely clear.  There were clearly tracer rounds firing off underneath you after you passed.  On the film the snap shot clearly appeared late.

I always overestimate angular advantage by around 20% to account for net lag.  It sux seeing tracers fly past your plane and then parts fall off.

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2006, 04:03:12 PM »
Originally posted by megadud
akelfy, i would call it a HO

:rofl  The way Bat described it, I thought it was someone good :lol

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2006, 04:03:49 PM »
Originally posted by BlauK
Funny... blaming the other one in a 2-player HO for you not squeezing your own trigger :D
If you dont want to get shot in a HO, dont fly towards the other planes nose, or go to DA and set up a duel with rules.... "only shooting heroically from behind is allowed" :p
Another loser comment!  Its a game.  There were only two in the sector!  Why play a game and win by HO!  HO is like turning the chess board over while you have one more pwn than the other guy!  IT's idiot behavior in this game where the fight is what is being simulated! Anyone who has been playing this game for more than two years and HO's in that situation is a coward virtual game player!  I will say to Bat , however, don't give the idiot coward the opportunity next time.

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2006, 04:06:23 PM »
Originally posted by TW9
if in ma regardless of the situation if u gave me a shot at the merge i would have taken it ;) .. u probably pulled a tad too soon trying to get an advantage on the next pass but he caught ya..
Are you saying you would have taken that shot in that situation?  LMAO!  What kind of gratification on God's earth might you get from "winning" that way??   Or is it just a stat to you?  Just asking!

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2006, 04:08:31 PM »
youre right 031(and others) i should not put myself in 'that' situation if i know the other guy will shoot. And may i take this oppertunity to appologise for hoing you the other day in that furball :p

the points people make that this isnt aHO situation regarding me not having guns on are invalid. i choose, quite clearly not to bring my nose on target, its not like i didnt have 6000yrds to decide to if i was that way inclined.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2006, 04:13:37 PM »
Originally posted by 2Slow
"the enemy digs his rudder as hard as he can and shoots me right in the face, tearing me to shreds......"

I hate to say it but, pretty cool tactic.  
Another lamer response!  Anyone who would enjoy winning a one on one, by HOing on the first merge, in a sector devoid of planes is a bush league player in my opinion!

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2006, 04:14:57 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
youre right 031(and others) i should not put myself in 'that' situation if i know the other guy will shoot. And may i take this oppertunity to appologise for hoing you the other day in that furball :p

the points people make that this isnt aHO situation regarding me not having guns on are invalid. i choose, quite clearly not to bring my nose on target, its not like i didnt have 6000yrds to decide to if i was that way inclined.
No apology needed bro, in a furball I expect them from everybody.  I was a little bananaed that I was too slow to dodge yours! :D

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2006, 04:15:34 PM »
the points people make that this isnt aHO situation regarding me not having guns on are invalid

No it's not ... the term HO is so loosely used around here that its true meaning gets watered down and used inappropriately.

Your title says it all ... calling it an HO was a mistake ... it was not an HO ... it was poor and pointless gameplay, to which I agree 100%.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2006, 04:16:30 PM »
I happened to be on when this occured and caught Bats comments on 200. I have not watched the clip prior to writing this. I think the real question here is mindset. Like Bat I'm always looking for the good fight....I'd rather lose a knck down drag out fight then land 5 "picks"...hell I'd rather win one then land 10.

As a counterpoint I posted a film in the training forum between me and a Ki-84. you will notice that we both flew a cold merge and ignored the possible HO. so the bottom line is sometimes you meet another "knight of the sky"....and sometimes you just get lanced:).....

when in doubt.....lite em up:aok

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2006, 04:19:12 PM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
Are you saying you would have taken that shot in that situation?  LMAO!  What kind of gratification on God's earth might you get from "winning" that way??   Or is it just a stat to you?  Just asking!

did u watch the film rock? he did exactly what i thought he did which was pull too soon and ended up getting his tail shot off.. why wouldnt he take the shot?  in the other players perspective he probably saw nothing but belly and arnold.. nothing close to a ho..

so he wants to merge? yet he breaks soon instead of actually merging  trying to gain an advantage and he's mad he got shot for it.. im sorry but elfy didnt do anything wrong here..
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2006, 04:22:48 PM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
i dunno that rudder kick at the last second and getting hits on target - sounds pretty pro to me...

kinda like a faking punt for a touchdown for the win if ya ask me....:rofl
LMAO!  Lamer response that was expected from skilless pancake boi!  I won!  I won!  I won!  :rolleyes:

Offline chaingun

• Copper Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2006, 04:37:14 PM »
ok i was, in a il2 im gonna take the face shot on the merge, sorry for the bs i was playing w/ ya, didnt

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Pointless Gameplay.
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2006, 04:39:49 PM »
Bottom line is expecting someone not to HO is not very realistic in the AH environment.  It's still up to you whether you choose to however.  Sometimes you get lucky and the guy also wants to fight.

I had a good brawl with Skyrock the other night, his F4U1A to my 38G.  I knew when he didn't shoot HO at the merge that I was going to get a fight and was probably in trouble.  There were 2-3 times at least where either of us could have HO'd but didn't looking for the angle shot.  

I got lucky as he was going up and then stall turned it as I was reaching the stall as well.  Even then I hesitated for a second cause it was going to be a front quarter shot. I took the snap shot as I was starting to fall as he passed me very close.   I remember distinctly watching 4 flashes starting from right behind the engine cowling, then right in front of the cockpit, right on the rear of the cockpt and the top of the fuselage behind the cockpit.

I know it was an OK shot from my end, but I also knew that it might have looked different from his end.

He didn't complain so I felt a bit better about taking it.  That being said, it's on me if I choose to take it or not and I can't expect the other guy not to just because I choose not to.

And as I said in my previous post.  I do believe less people are taking the HO then before.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters