Author Topic: "Training" hop.....  (Read 959 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
"Training" hop.....
« on: December 07, 2006, 01:45:29 AM »
I spent some time in the TA earlier in the week working with a player with some previous time in AW/WB. My personal thoughts have always been that the best way to learn ACM is by doing ACM and we spent 30 or 40 min flying. Like most people with reasonable flying skills and a basic grasp of tactics the initial "issues" relate to "comfort level" with the plane he's flying. Learning a fundemental level of 3 dimesnsional "awareness" of ACM and throttle/rudder input management. None of these things seem to come togeather intuitively and normally you pick up bits and pieces and then one day it "clicks" a bit. After we were done I told him if he switched to knights i'd be happy to wing him or he could ride as an observer. This clip is one of three flights he rode with me earlier tonight. The goal was to give him some overall concept of flying in the MA and demonstrate "angles" style fighting from both an offensive and defensive perspective. The total hop was about 30 min but I cut the clip down to about 12 min or so. There is some running commentary that might be helpful....

http://www.az-dsl.com/snaphook/109clips/MA%20hop

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
"Training" hop.....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 04:21:38 AM »
Humble I especially liked this move:
 !#)(*$@)$_#_)($_#)$(@_(*#_)&*$)@(#*@)#&@*($&@(*

Link doesnt work for me:)

:)
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
"Training" hop.....
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 05:52:52 AM »
Humble, your file wasn't saved to the /109clips directory with any extension (i.e. .ahf if it's an aces high film), so it can't be opened.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
"Training" hop.....
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 06:04:05 AM »
Just renaming it with the ahf extension worked for me.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
"Training" hop.....
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 07:54:35 AM »
Originally posted by Silat
Humble I especially liked this move:
 !#)(*$@)$_#_)($_#)$(@_(*#_)&*$)@(#*@)#&@*($&@(*

Link doesnt work for me:)

:)

hehe.....guess it was a bit late for me:)

http://www.az-dsl.com/snaphook/MAhop.ahf
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 07:56:45 AM by humble »

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
"Training" hop.....
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 01:08:51 PM »
Humble. Thanks for posting that film. I can find films here on the BB, but very few of them have the detailed commentary that go along with them. Your comments about flight controlls are very helpful. For instance: you say "rudder roll". This helps me a lot cause I just can't seem to learn where and when to use rudders. You talk about using the throttle (something else I can't seem to learn). Also, you tell what each plane is doing and what to expect in each situation. You give details of their speed, there alt, and what they are thinking. All of this gives me and idea of how to approach a fighter sortie that I just can't figure out how to do on my on.

There are guys that let me join them that are damn good sticks, and I really appreciate this,(:aok), but the way join missions works is somewhat limited for these reasons: The person who joins does not see the rounds (tracers), any of the pilot views, red outs, or black outs. Also, the  stall horn does not sound.  So when I film the sortie I join, and go back to study it, basically I have a dash board to look at and commentary that is not very helpful because there are none of these options I have mentioned to go along with the join film.

So this brings me to ask if you, sir, (or anybody else ) would mind making more of these films. I would love one like this using a spit 16. :)

Once again, thank you, thank you, thank you, for making this film for us. I have been wanting so bad, (you just can't imagine), for so long, to get my hands on a film like this to learn from. I have watched it 10 times already. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

:aok

Edit: I may be wrong about pilot views not showing up in joined sorties that I film. I'm not sure at this point, but it seems that I just viewed a film from a sortied that I joined and the views did show up. Or maybe it was my views that showed up in the film and not the pilots views????. Maybe it has something to do with pilots that use the mouse for their views????.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 02:57:31 PM by Clutz »

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
"Training" hop.....
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 04:05:52 PM »
That was a fun film to watch. I liked the narration, it gives a peek into the thought process and an explanation of what and why a move was done.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
"Training" hop.....
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 04:37:03 PM »
Originally posted by Clutz
Humble. Thanks for posting that film. I can find films here on the BB, but very few of them have the detailed commentary that go along with them. Your comments about flight controlls are very helpful. For instance: you say "rudder roll". This helps me a lot cause I just can't seem to learn where and when to use rudders. You talk about using the throttle (something else I can't seem to learn). Also, you tell what each plane is doing and what to expect in each situation. You give details of their speed, there alt, and what they are thinking. All of this gives me and idea of how to approach a fighter sortie that I just can't figure out how to do on my on.

There are guys that let me join them that are damn good sticks, and I really appreciate this,(:aok), but the way join missions works is somewhat limited for these reasons: The person who joins does not see the rounds (tracers), any of the pilot views, red outs, or black outs. Also, the  stall horn does not sound.  So when I film the sortie I join, and go back to study it, basically I have a dash board to look at and commentary that is not very helpful because there are none of these options I have mentioned to go along with the join film.

So this brings me to ask if you, sir, (or anybody else ) would mind making more of these films. I would love one like this using a spit 16. :)

Once again, thank you, thank you, thank you, for making this film for us. I have been wanting so bad, (you just can't imagine), for so long, to get my hands on a film like this to learn from. I have watched it 10 times already. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

:aok

Edit: I may be wrong about pilot views not showing up in joined sorties that I film. I'm not sure at this point, but it seems that I just viewed a film from a sortied that I joined and the views did show up. Or maybe it was my views that showed up in the film and not the pilots views????. Maybe it has something to do with pilots that use the mouse for their views????.

Glad it helped....

I've had a couple of guys join me as "observers" ...1cemanVS for example went along for a pony ride last night. Just give me a shout on text if you see me up (I fly knights as snaphook).....you can either tag along on the current sortie or join me for one in the plane of your choice.

Offline loctite

• Zinc Member
"Training" hop.....
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 05:24:21 PM »
Snaphook is a great instructor. There are quite a few who have all the skills and knowledge that can fly planes on the edge and come out ontop 9 times outa 10.. But few who have the desire or "knack" of getting that knowledge into pilots who really need it.
     Thanks again for the training...I still haven't even had a chance to watch the film yet...Just getting off work now...I'll load it it up as soon as I get home!!

Offline 1cemanVS

• Copper Member
"Training" hop.....
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 07:04:29 PM »
i too found that video helpful, and when i went up with snap (like he mentioned) that was even more helpful as he took time off his squad vox to comment for me, which shows real wanting to teach other people...since that lesson ive become alot more proficient in my 51, and feel alot more comfortable when entering into a fight, that i know what im doing, and have an idea of what to expect...

i did to have the problems with the join hop that i cudnt see snaps tracers, or the POV's he was using..but it still helped nonetheless..i think ill ask for another hop another time, but not right now, dont want to hog all his time, plus i have a few things to practice in the mean time :D

keep up the good work snap, and i hope every other trainer decides to take on the "commentary" part of instruction video's, alot easier to follow than text

- Ice

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
We all learn differently......
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 08:10:56 PM »
so the variety of skills and styles that the official trainers and "tag alongs" like me have should enable anyone who is the least bit serious to find someone they click with. The key is to "browse" till you find the right fit for your skill level, learning style and temperment. If you try and fit my "flying style" into a 38 or 190 cockpit you'll leave parts floating thru the digital atmosphere an awful lot:eek:

Offline nickf620

• Copper Member
"Training" hop.....
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 09:17:13 AM »
same thing with my fly style humble
i try to throw what ever i am in into some sort of turn fight
i have been told that i too fly aggressive cause i am always maneuvering

but i would like to some day tag along with you to learn more about the game than i already do

what server are you in mostly and what times
Since tour 75

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
"Training" hop.....
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 09:40:40 AM »
I fly knight....normally late war since thats where the #'s are....

Offline nickf620

• Copper Member
"Training" hop.....
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 10:15:10 AM »
rgr any usual time or just anytime throughout the day
Since tour 75