Author Topic: Squad leaders and XOs  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Bode

• Zinc Member
Squad leaders and XOs
« on: December 13, 2006, 07:33:01 PM »
Squad leaders and XOs, I logged on earlier today noticed a person that i know has not been playing this game very long, He just so happen to have a squad name very similar to ours,  His name was Bongboy,Dimebag is squad leader, Tr1gg and I  throughly checked web-site for any other squad even close to ours before we made it almost 8 mounths ago,  I think we flew with him when we flew Nits for a few months. He is very aware of the fact that our squad exist. Now to explan why we have a few different abv, for the beginning of squad name, MFAS stands for Marine Fighter Attack Squadron. We are fully aware that the orginal name was VMF, but we did not want to copy it totaly. just pay Hommage to the legendary Black Sheep and Papy Boyington. So to get back to my point, Why would these fellow AHers do this?
I am at a loss. :furious

Hitech and crew you do not allow others to copy Callsign why let them copy squad names.

I am sure to get alot of flack from this,I spend enough time on 200 talking crap, but no worries I put myself out there for you to pick this apart for anything you disagree with By posting this thread, And I am sure I will be attacked, But put yourself in Our place for a second before you respond. And has any other squads had this happen to them and how did you handle

By no means Am I am speaking for all Black Sheep,  My thoughts are my own and XO of the squad I am speaking my opinion.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Squad leaders and XOs
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 08:01:25 PM »
No one person or squad has any "ownership" claim on a historical squad.

Currently you have....

two 242 squad
two 106th
two 1/4Gav Pacau Brazil
three 31st (2 fighter/1 bomber)
three 332nd
two 339th
two 352nd

Thats just a few....

So why shouldnt anyone else "pay homage"....or maybe we need a shoot out system. Each "historical squad has a designated champion and you fight for the name....loser disbands or renames....till next month
:aok

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
Squad leaders and XOs
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 08:05:45 PM »
Well Bode I am a member of the Flying Circus, just a few days ago I saw someone land kills in L&L Flying Circus, dont even remember the fellows call sign.

It was kinda funny because one of my squadies wanted to know who the new squad member was:)

Just remember the members make the squad, not the name.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Squad leaders and XOs
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 08:11:26 PM »
Originally posted by Shamus
Well Bode I am a member of the Flying Circus, just a few days ago I saw someone land kills in L&L Flying Circus, dont even remember the fellows call sign.

It was kinda funny because one of my squadies wanted to know who the new squad member was:)

Just remember the members make the squad, not the name.

shamus

Ain't this the truth, ya got Mr. Wulf, OB-Gyn, you, throw in a little Hajjjjj and those big red shoes get a movin!   :)

I believe shamus is the "ringleader".
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Squad leaders and XOs
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 08:11:34 PM »
I am the C.O. of “one” of the 332nd Squads. 332nd Flying Mongrels

Personally it is not a fight I choose. Someone wants to pick a name much like ours, so be it. Ya I would rather they didn’t, but I am not going to duel em for it, call HTC about it, or make any other kind of fuss. It just is not big on my priority list.

Eight out of ten squads don’t last 6 months. Just wait it out. If they do last, your just make sure you squad is better than theirs. ;) What Shamus said is right on.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Squad leaders and XOs
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 08:15:00 PM »
your just make sure you squad is better than theirs
Man I am tired. lol
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Exactly....
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 08:22:01 PM »
Originally posted by daddog
I am the C.O. of “one” of the 332nd Squads. 332nd Flying Mongrels

Personally it is not a fight I choose. Someone wants to pick a name much like ours, so be it. Ya I would rather they didn’t, but I am not going to duel em for it, call HTC about it, or make any other kind of fuss. It just is not big on my priority list.

Eight out of ten squads don’t last 6 months. Just wait it out. If they do last, your just make sure you squad is better than theirs. ;) What Shamus said is right on.

The people make the squad. I was awful suprised to find "three of you"....but to anyone who's been around the block you guys ARE the 332nd. The squad makes the "name"....not the other way around.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
Squad leaders and XOs
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 08:31:20 PM »
imagine my suprise when i first saw other squads with birds of prey as the first part of their name land kills!!

they were clever and have names like:

birds of prey  peregrines, merlins, golden eagles, ospreys, raptors etc.

rather than fight it i chose to just let them "think" they were all BoPs...im fortunate in that they are all bish squads....
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Re: Squad leaders and XOs
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 08:54:03 PM »
Originally posted by Bode
XO MFAS-214- "Blacksheep"

You are aware of course that you are not the first one even very recently to use the 214 squad name? Because of the TV show there will always be 214 squads in the game, more than one usually.

Personally, I find the story of VMF-211 more interesting.

BTW, my dad was CO of the real VMA-214 from '85-'87. He was the last CO of the squad when they flew A-4 Skyhawks, with the next CO they transitioned to AV8-B's.

storch

Squad leaders and XOs
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 09:26:01 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 07:36:10 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
Squad leaders and XOs
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 09:57:52 PM »
Did you try asking them if they would consider using a different name?  Our squad had a similar situation and when we asked (nicely) the new squad that was using the same name agreed to go with a different one.  Sometimes people can actually be pretty good about this kinda thing.
If not, then probably your best option is to ignore em. :)
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Squad leaders and XOs
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 10:01:08 PM »
Originally posted by storch
See Rule #4

typical
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 07:36:43 AM by Skuzzy »
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
Squad leaders and XOs
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 02:06:16 AM »
Originally posted by 1Boner
typical

Aint it tho?

Standard tardlet.

Still hates that falc kicked his butt

shamus
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 02:08:49 AM by Shamus »
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Squad leaders and XOs
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 02:11:15 AM »
When the 475th Squad from Warbirds moved to AH, they talked to Twinboom, CO of the present 475th and they worked out a compromise where both carry the 475th tag but have a different squadron designation before the Group name.

Both groups were very good about working together on it.  It can be done if folks actually talk to each other I think.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Squad leaders and XOs
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 06:39:01 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
When the 475th Squad from Warbirds moved to AH, they talked to Twinboom, CO of the present 475th and they worked out a compromise where both carry the 475th tag but have a different squadron designation before the Group name.

Both groups were very good about working together on it.  It can be done if folks actually talk to each other I think.

So it true what I heard about  A Goat,A virgin,a ransom fee,and a volcano ?
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation