Author Topic: Respect  (Read 571 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Respect
« on: December 16, 2006, 12:05:15 PM »
OK, I know I'll get flamed for this one but the respect level really has diminished in the LW main arenas.

Last night I flew about 10 sorties.  I wanted to try out different rides;  one's I've never, or rarely flown.

So, I had about 15 merge opportunities.  I gave the opponent the benefit of the doubt in each opportunity.  They took the HO shot 14 of 15 times killing me twice.  Lesson: Expect the HO and give it back.

I managed to find 2-3 nice one on ones.  Fun and challenging until their buddies arrived and I was now 1 on 3-5.  Lesson: B'n'Z or cherry pick.  Don't ever get into a 1 on 1 turn fight.

I killed a guy last night.  Took his wing off and as he was spiraling to the ground one of my countrymen swooped in taking the kill and leaving me with an assist.  Lesson: It's OK to steal kills.

I was in a 1 on 2 last night.  One of my countrymen respectfully asked if I needed a hand.  I told him I was good.  He joined anyway.  Lesson: See the last lesson.

OK,OK.  I know this stuff has always happend.  It's just seems to have gotten a lot worse lately as we've been crammed into these small maps/fronts making it a lot harder to have a good time.  This was just one night.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
Re: Respect
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 12:26:59 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
OK, I know I'll get flamed for this one but the respect level really has diminished in the LW main arenas.
No.  Its been pretty low for quite some time IMO

Last night I flew about 10 sorties.  I wanted to try out different rides;  one's I've never, or rarely flown.

So, I had about 15 merge opportunities.  I gave the opponent the benefit of the doubt in each opportunity.  They took the HO shot 14 of 15 times killing me twice.  Lesson: Expect the HO and give it back.
No.  You can avoid such things most times.  Just play your game

I managed to find 2-3 nice one on ones.  Fun and challenging until their buddies arrived and I was now 1 on 3-5.  Lesson: B'n'Z or cherry pick.  Don't ever get into a 1 on 1 turn fight.
No.  You dont have to resort to pickin and grinnin.  If its fun do it, if you worry about your score then you will not be having fun for long, I'd wager

I killed a guy last night.  Took his wing off and as he was spiraling to the ground one of my countrymen swooped in taking the kill and leaving me with an assist.  Lesson: It's OK to steal kills.
No.  er....yes :D

I was in a 1 on 2 last night.  One of my countrymen respectfully asked if I needed a hand.  I told him I was good.  He joined anyway.  Lesson: See the last lesson.

OK,OK.  I know this stuff has always happend.  It's just seems to have gotten a lot worse lately as we've been crammed into these small maps/fronts making it a lot harder to have a good time.  This was just one night.

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline Big Mickey

• Zinc Member
Respect
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 12:46:30 PM »
Being as I was away from the game for about 2 years and just came back about a month ago, I would have to agree with your assessment. The LW arenas have much more of the first person shooter mentality than they used too. For the most part though I have tried to remain faithful to the style of play that I believe in. I will not steal a kill, I don't jump into a 1v1 unless I know my teammate is in trouble etc... the one exception to this is HOing. I find that each time I try to refrain from it in the LW arena I just get shot in the face. So I have given up my grasp on that level of chivalry in the LW.

I do find that in the MW and EW it seems to be less prominent. In these arenas I will only use a HO as a last ditch, have to save my bacon, effort. I actually had one of those moments the other night fighting RVFlyer in the MW. I was in a D11 against his Spit and it was the only option left after he pulled some great evades getting me lower and slower each pass. If I remember right the fight turned into a draw as I had to extend out and couldn't get the kill. It was one of those fights that keep you paying the 15 frog pelts a month to play.

I will add that it is not always the case in the EW/MW arenas. I was in the EW the next night and was in a 3v1 fight, me being the 1, and I was getting ho'ed by all 3. A bit sad but all part of the game.

Lastly I say fly the way you feel like flying. If your ethics say "don't ho" then don't do it. But certainly don't expect that any other player in the arena will follow your beliefs. Your chivalry may get you killed more often and it may effect your score, but you at least can know that your doing your part to keep the game from turning into Doom with wings. :aok

Big Mickey

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Respect
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 01:42:58 PM »
Kick the subscription price up to $29.95 or even $39.95

That will weed out the feeble minded tardlings....

Problem is HTC couldnt take the hit since that would be 60 percent of the playuhs so we just learns to deal with the menchildren.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Wannab

• Zinc Member
Respect
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 02:05:40 PM »
<------- Feable

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Respect
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 03:06:54 PM »
What you describe is a result of the 600 player single arena. It will take some time to undo the damage, but if you're going to do the same things, you lose the right to complain about them.

I have to laugh at the idea that higher charges = better people. Money doesn't have anything to do with class, respect, or fanaticism for realistic gameplay. The only thing higher subscription fees would guarantee is that you would be paying more every month.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
Respect
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 06:10:29 PM »
There is still some left in the MA. Not alot mind you but a lil.

The times that you do find it with a grasious win or lose , an the Well done to you on 200 tends to help make the "You Suk" , "Learn some ACM you loser" , the typical remarks you hear , less meaningful.

I got my first FU A-hole last night from a vet last night. I was like...what did I do for that? Then I watched as he ripped at me abit , not saying anything more than, "I'll just let you stew , have a good day " ....

Funny part was there was 2 or 3 thee stating how much we should all respect this person on 200. I was like....yeah...ok.

I've had my shre of blowups. No way around it.

But the MA now days....and the other arenas for that matter are full of ego maniacs. Don't dare shoot em down. You'll be everything they can think of after that.

I ask if someone needs help and am more than happy to find a fight someplace else when they say no.

I don't HO unless I am outnumberd and its a last resort. Even then I don't very often. I just die.

I try to win grasiously in cruddy fights and lose more grasiously in great fights. No shame in 'ing and saying nice fight or giving praise where praise is due. Even if it was a dumb mistake that got ya shot down.

It is a game....but....playing it with a bit of a smile and nice words would make the MA alot better IMO.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Big Mickey

• Zinc Member
Respect
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 06:30:35 PM »
Very well put RedTop S!!

Big Mickey

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Respect
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 06:38:23 PM »
It's up to me how I handle myself.  I don't expect anything of anyone else, but try and set a good example in how I present myself in the game.  That's all I can do.  

Still my choice if I get worked up by a guy losing his cool on 200

Far more good people in the game then 'mouths' from what I can see
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
Respect
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 06:56:29 PM »
I try to show respect to everyone I fly with or against, I can't think of a time where I yelled at someone for killin me, I'll salute them and if I actually faught well and lost I'll give them a Nice flying...or WTG when they land their kills. I'm here for the fun of it, It's just a game. I actually like it when people explode on 200 when I'm on a long bombing mission, it makes it more amusing.
Lagger

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Respect
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 07:14:57 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
What you describe is a result of the 600 player single arena. It will take some time to undo the damage, but if you're going to do the same things, you lose the right to complain about them.

I have to laugh at the idea that higher charges = better people. Money doesn't have anything to do with class, respect, or fanaticism for realistic gameplay. The only thing higher subscription fees would guarantee is that you would be paying more every month.

Who are you?  And what have you done with the real Hub?

Offline Gryffin

• Nickel Member
Re: Respect
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 08:05:46 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
Lesson: Expect the HO and give it back.

Or use it as an opportunity to set up a lead turn and get the advantage. Unless you like don't like having the advantage of course, then by all means fly right at them like a lemming.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Respect
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 08:34:33 PM »
personally I always try to be polite and a little humorous on 200.. for instance I got wiped by the same guy twice today and asked him if this was a personal thing followed by a :)

The only time I got torqued today was when I was in a very interesting fight with another guy 1 v 1 nobody else around (Colt44 I think) and I got disco'd.  I did throw my headset across the room on that one because win or lose it was a good fight (hope he got a kill out of it because he earned it).

I'm ALL for the 'way things used to be' even though I wasn't here when they were that way.  I expect to be HO'd most of the time if the opportunity presents itself to my opponent *shrug* as they say feces occurs.  

I'd rather gain the respect of a lot of the 'old' gang by the way I comport myself online than puff my chest out because my KTD ratio is astronomical.  

Not that I don't want to become a good stick but I prefer to do it in what I personally consider the right way.

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute