Author Topic: Groundloops  (Read 4889 times)

Offline nick172

• Zinc Member
Groundloops
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2006, 09:34:41 AM »
Traps,

Dang I thought that bottle of pop that I found tasted funny?!?! But i'll forgive ya, when your flying you do what ya gotta do.  I did feel bad dropping that bag out over midland though, that would really screw up somebodys day.

Nicholas Montei
Nick172

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2006, 06:29:24 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
That is my dream.  Unfortuntately for me, and unfortunately for Mr. Biggles here who has to listen to me, it will not be happening.  Medical and financial problems conspire to keep me on the ground.  I want nothing more in this life than to fly real World War Two fighters, and I had thought until now that many of the people who play this simulator feel the same.  I see now that I was wrong.

This is a Quakers game Benny, 99% can't even fly a simulator let be dogfight WW2 planes. Log into the MA and you'll find out first hand (be prepared to dodge HO's allot!)  :D

Cary on.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2006, 10:02:05 AM »
Originally posted by Wolfala
How about we kick up about 5 or 10 kts of crosswind and see how well these techniques work out.

A 5 mph crosswind is generally no problem, unless it is 90 degrees to the runway heading. However, bump it up to 10 mph and things get interesting, especially if flying an F4U. Taking off with a crosswind is usually less daunting than landing with one, at least in my experience.

My son-in-law likes to play AH2 when he visits. So one evening, just for the fun of it, I set a 10 mph crosswind from sea level to 2,000 feet from 135 degrees. He elected to take off in an F4U with the wind from his right-rear quarter (bad idea). He managed to get airborne, but nearly drifted off the runway. He made a left turn and set up for landing. He had a great deal of trouble with the landings. He could get on the runway, but was so crossed up that he ground looped it 4 times out of 5. Getting frustrated, he takes off again. This time he takes my advice and decides to land with the wind at his left-front quarter. Far less drama and no ground loops. He did, however, tend to drift to the edge of the runway. That is something easily countered when you gain some experience. He eventually learned to line up off-line and allow the aircraft to drift to where he wanted it at touchdown with a minimum of side slipping. Needless to say, it takes some practice to master crosswind landings in a taildragger.

There's no doubt in my mind that most of the player base would either ground loop or simply crash if there was a crosswind set-up in the MAs. Over the years, the CMs have set-up cross winds in the AvA (old Combat Theater), and the results were often comical. Most players just landed into the wind on the grass and taxied to a runway. You don't learn much that way, but it is a solution of sorts.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #153 on: December 24, 2006, 06:02:22 PM »
Ten knot, eh?  I'll do that - and I'll record my first attempt for your amusement and viewing pleasure.

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Groundloops
« Reply #154 on: December 24, 2006, 09:21:51 PM »
Because you kiddies are a bunch of gamers with no clue how a real airplane works.

HEY I RESENT THAT! Just cuz i r a kid don't make me not no how a rea aeroplane works.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2006, 09:24:31 PM »
Here we are, as promised.  I didn't quite groundloop it, but I definitely racked up several dozen dollars worth of tire and I'm sure someone's going to have a word with me about the left landing gear.

I still think this would have gotten a lot uglier if this were real.

[Link]

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #156 on: December 26, 2006, 08:39:25 AM »
Here we are, as promised.  I didn't quite groundloop it, but I definitely racked up several dozen dollars worth of tire and I'm sure someone's going to have a word with me about the left landing gear.

I still think this would have gotten a lot uglier if this were real.

[Link]

The Jug is easier to land with a crosswind than the F4Us. Try the F4Us and be prepared to knock off a wingtip now and then.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #157 on: December 26, 2006, 04:28:21 PM »
Right, I've been going at it with the P-40 and a 30 M.P.H. crosswind, and I only manage to land without groundlooping about one time in five.  This is almost more fun than dogfighting!

Offline roach

• Zinc Member
Groundloops
« Reply #158 on: December 26, 2006, 04:50:51 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
There's no doubt in my mind that most of the player base would either ground loop or simply crash if there was a crosswind set-up in the MAs. Over the years, the CMs have set-up cross winds in the AvA (old Combat Theater), and the results were often comical. Most players just landed into the wind on the grass and taxied to a runway. You don't learn much that way, but it is a solution of sorts.

My regards,

Widewing

I'm amused by thoughts of players attempting to lift off of a carrier while the carrier is turning in the game.  A cross wind on a normal airbase runway might have much the same attributes for potential amusement (or player frustration.)

What would happen if we eliminated "auto takeoff" and "stall limiter" as well as added some wind into the simulation?  I think it would be absolutely wonderful.  I think there are some good fighter sticks that would suddenly be unable to master the art of takeoff and landing.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Groundloops
« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2006, 05:04:11 PM »
If wind was turned on in the MA I'd quit since I wouldn't be able to takeoff or land.  Landing with wind is too difficult and too hard for anyone to master and is unfair to players who just want to plug in and play. :cry

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #160 on: December 26, 2006, 05:34:41 PM »
I can't believe this thread is still going.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline roach

• Zinc Member
Groundloops
« Reply #161 on: December 26, 2006, 06:02:09 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
If wind was turned on in the MA I'd quit since I wouldn't be able to takeoff or land.  Landing with wind is too difficult and too hard for anyone to master and is unfair to players who just want to plug in and play. :cry

So, the more like an arcade game, and the less realistic the flight model, the happier you are?

Offline traps

• Nickel Member
Groundloops
« Reply #162 on: December 26, 2006, 06:09:23 PM »
Originally posted by roach
So, the more like an arcade game, and the less realistic the flight model, the happier you are?

If I want to go fly a real plane, I go fly,

I come here to shoot down cartoon planes with out the hassle of trimming every time I speed up or slow down,worrying about mixture,am I running over or under square? watch the prop overspeed,be sure to avoid running between 2200 and 2350 rpm or prop damage may result! uh!

no thanks :huh

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Groundloops
« Reply #163 on: December 26, 2006, 06:12:32 PM »
Originally posted by roach

no it's just that flying and landing with a crosswind is so hard and such an unattainable feat for so many that nobody would want to play anymore.

I know I couldn't hack it :cry

Offline eh

• Copper Member
Groundloops
« Reply #164 on: December 26, 2006, 11:47:10 PM »
The only plane that ever groundloops on me is the F4U, but I think the Typhoon should be at least as bad, given the historical problems its torque gave to pilots on takeoff and landing. The only way that I have been able to stop the F4U groundloops is to come in real slow with only one notch of flaps left. When I am over the runway, and speed  is dropping below 100 mph, I drop the last notch of flaps and wait a sec. after I hit the runway before I apply brakes, pulling back on the stick. 90 percent of the time this solves the problem, but it makes me really vulnerable on final approach. You can't "quick land" the F4U (at least I can't ) on  a concrete runway unless I keep gear UP! :lol