Author Topic: Spatial Awareness  (Read 1039 times)

Offline CrazyCat

• Zinc Member
Spatial Awareness
« on: December 20, 2006, 01:52:40 AM »
Hi, I looked briefly and didn't see any topics on this but perhaps I didn't look hard enough. Im somewhat new to the game and am still trying to master all the ACM's.

The biggest problem I seem to have isn't in the execution but rather where the "bad guy" is at. I've watched many ahf videos of other players perfoming barrel defense, scissors, etc. What I can't figure out, especially in the barrel defense, is how the pilot knows where the other a/c is at. Ive tried viewing the video from cockpit view and looking out the back and top and sides, wherever, and can't seem to get a good view on the other planes. It almost appears as though the pilot just knows and manages to roll and spin just at the magical right times and shoot just perfectly before the other a/c appears in front of them.

I have a joystick w/ hat and always try to keep looking around but seem to lose track of the other a/c quickly. Is there some special technique or secret to this which is relatively unknown or do I just need more practice?

Thanks for any help that is offered.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Spatial Awareness
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 01:58:24 AM »
make sure you have the UP view mapped to your J/S.

mostly though, it's just practice.  I have had fight's go for many min.'s withouth ever looking "forward".  just takes practice.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Spatial Awareness
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 02:51:06 AM »
Also be sure you have your views setup for the plane.  You also need to do this in the film viewer.  I am pretty sure someone like schatzi will pop in and give you a play by play method of setting them up.  Just about the only thing I remember is that you need to hit F10 to "save" that view set up.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Spatial Awareness
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 05:08:35 AM »
Mec, you called me? :D

Hello CrazyCat!

Yes, using your views is a vital part of winning/loosing a fight.

Ill assume your hatswitch is a 8-way one. You can thus use it for 9 views: default (ie hat not touched), forward, forward-left, left. back-left, back etc. Now you need an additional button on your Joystick that you can operate at the same time as your hatswitch (!) set up for your "look up" view. Combining that button with your hatswitch will give you a total of 18 view directions. To look back up left, just look back-left on hat and hold the look up at the same time.

Now you can adjust all those view directions for maximum visibility. If you look back, by default you usually see no more then your head rest. While looking in that direction, use the arrow keys and page up/down to adjust.... all the way to the right (in most planes better turn direction is left, so having better view to the back left is helpful), up and maybe even back works good for most planes. Once you have your view as you want it hit F10 to "save head position".

You will have to do the adjustment for every view direction and every plane separatly. The head positions are stored in planetype.hps files in your Settings folder (by default, its c:\programs\HTC\Aces High II\Settings - its useful to make a back up of that settings folder, as you can always copy it back in should something get messed up or should you have to reinstall the game for some reason. That will save you a lot of work redoing all your custom settings.

An "exercise" you can do to learn how to track your opponent is this: climb to about 8 K over the airfield... then start practicing maneuvers... Loops, turns, rolls, barrels... whatever you can think of..... but keep the indestructible hangar or radar tower in your view all the time.
You can do the same with the offline drones... a little more difficult, since the drone is moving as well.

If you need a sparring partner to just practice tracking someone in a fight, come by the Training Arena. Usually youll find a "willing target" there if you ask.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Spatial Awareness
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 07:55:50 AM »
Originally posted by zorstorer
Also be sure you have your views setup for the plane.  You also need to do this in the film viewer.  I am pretty sure someone like schatzi will pop in and give you a play by play method of setting them up.  Just about the only thing I remember is that you need to hit F10 to "save" that view set up.

To be specific, you need to do this EACH and every time you start a film, or you only have to do this once for each plane in the film viewer..and it will remember the settings?

Thanks Balsy

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Spatial Awareness
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 08:31:48 AM »
Originally posted by Balsy
To be specific, you need to do this EACH and every time you start a film, or you only have to do this once for each plane in the film viewer..and it will remember the settings?

Thanks Balsy

You only have to do it once in the film viewer Balsy. Adjust head position (for a view direction) and then hit F10 to save it (dont ask me in which file this information is stored though). Only difference in the film viewer is that it doesnt take into account which plane you are flying, ie no matter which plane you recorded in, the head position always stays the same.

Offline ViZeen

• Zinc Member
Spatial Awareness
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 08:51:58 AM »
Use the force Luke

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Spatial Awareness
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 09:45:01 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
You only have to do it once in the film viewer Balsy. Adjust head position (for a view direction) and then hit F10 to save it (dont ask me in which file this information is stored though). Only difference in the film viewer is that it doesnt take into account which plane you are flying, ie no matter which plane you recorded in, the head position always stays the same.

Ty Schatzi!

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Spatial Awareness
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 09:52:32 AM »
If you want to try and figure out -what- the pilot in a film is looking at, in other words, what they're seeing and when, play back the film with the "use recorded views" box checked in the film viewer.

I still often can't figure out -how- they look where they look sometimes but it's very enlightening.

wrngway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Spatial Awareness
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 10:19:27 AM »
Originally posted by AWwrgwy
If you want to try and figure out -what- the pilot in a film is looking at, in other words, what they're seeing and when, play back the film with the "use recorded views" box checked in the film viewer.

I still often can't figure out -how- they look where they look sometimes but it's very enlightening.

wrngway

I am pretty sure you still will need your views set for that particular plane type in the film, if not it will give you some weird looking views, when using the recorded views button..........
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Spatial Awareness
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 11:08:01 AM »
Also, don't forget that if the film is made by someone using TrackIR you won't get any recorded views.  For some reason the viewer only recognizes keys, not the TIR input so you have to do the views yourself in playback.

Also, to Crazycat's specific question:  Yes the views are very important but also in a fight you need to think ahead.  When doing something like a barrel roll defense you're going to lose sight, the trick is to know where you need to look to pick him up again.  

This really takes some time but you'll eventually figure this out and it's a much more important skill than just keeping sight.  Predicting where the guy will show up is based on a good understanding of what's going on, where his current flight path will take him, how fast (or slow) he is, how well he could turn if he wanted to, etc., etc.  

Let's say you recognize that the bad guy is overshooting your six for instance.  I'd reverse my turn and immediately look at my high six because that's where he should be based on his overshoot and my maneuver.  If he's not there I screwed something up.  Maybe the guy didn't have as much speed as I though or maybe he had less angles or maybe I didn't roll and/or pull enough so now I've got to find him and the first thing I'll do is move my plane and check direct six to make sure he's not about to blow my butt off then start a quick search at deep and high six then expand it.  Also, don't forget you can hear other planes.  Listen to where he engine noise (or gun blasts) are coming from, that'll give you a good clue (lower your own engine sounds so you can hear his).

Anyways, there's lots to learn and it just takes a bit of time.  Good luck!

Mace
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Spatial Awareness
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 12:33:51 PM »
Very good point Mace!

Its less about actually SEEING the guy, and more about knowing where he is and what hes doing. Especially in multi-bogey engagements this is becoming relevant a lot more.

Offline CrazyCat

• Zinc Member
Thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 04:41:19 PM »
Wow, Thanks for all the help. You guys are awesome. I have got my hat set up with an lookup button on the base of my stick now. It helps a lot. Also the using recorded views was a helpful tidbit as well. Thanks again for all the help.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Spatial Awareness
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 05:59:04 PM »
Also remember if a pilots pulling a lead shot (i.e. inside the turn of the opposing player) he's sometimes firing blind with the con low off his nose.  He's anticipating where the con will be and can't actually see him.  It because his bullets are actually flying straight as both planes continue to turn.  It may look like magic but it's not.  It just takes alot of practice.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Cuba

• Zinc Member
Spatial Awareness
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 11:58:40 PM »
Well, here is my two cents...

I think 90% of it is experience.  The first thing is getting used to your controls, so you don't have to think about what key to hit to get a back view, a back/up view etc.  After a while, that becomes automatic.

If you have the time and inclination, I would practice on the offline planes.  Just rolling around them trying to keep them in view will train your fingers to get that automatic response.

Then I would say get to know the planes.   Know which ones are turners, and which ones are BnZ.  The plane you want to know the best is the one you fly most often.  Things like what is the minimum speed for a immelman, the minimum alt for a split-s, the speed where the controls lock-up, the stall speed, when and if to drop flaps for tighter turns, etc.

After that, it's just getting in the arenas and fighting.  You will begin to think in 3D and know where the enemy is going to be.  Again, all this will eventually be automatic.  You won't have to think about it; you will just know from experience.

Then you can start thinking about tactics.  Think about the problem.  You know the factors at this point.  How do I get that airplane in front of me?