Author Topic: Desktop unuseable after leaving AH  (Read 472 times)

Offline WxMan

• Nickel Member
      • Arabian Knights
Desktop unuseable after leaving AH
« on: March 06, 2001, 01:35:00 PM »
This problem began 2 patches ago, but may not be directly related to that as I had just installed a Saitek USB stick and GameVoice at the same time.

Aces High runs fine but after leaving AH, I'm unable to run any other application from the desktop without rebooting. The mouse works and I can click on them but they will not run. However, anything in the systems tray can be accessed and I can shut down in an orderly fashion to reboot.

There is no conflicts showing in the device manager, but the USB controller and PCI steering do share an IRQ. I have tried changing them but Windows will not allow it. I don't know if this is necessarily the problem.

System configuration is:

Abit BX6 rev 2.0 motherboard
Celeron 466mhz cpu overclocked to 525
256 mb Ram
SoundBlaster Live Value Sound Card
Hercules 3D Prophet 32mb Video Card
Zoom 56k Modem
Saitek X36U Stick Combo USB
CH Pedals (analog)
Gamevoice USB
Microsoft Intelli mouse
Microsoft Keyboard

Windows 98 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 5.0
DX 8.0a

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

WxMan
VMF-111 DevilDogs
AKWxMan
Arabian Knights

"The money you payed earns you nothing. You paid for many hours of entertainment you received, and nothing more." - HiTech

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »
Pc steering is not actually a device and can't cause a problem.  That just means that IRQ is avaiable for PCI cards.

I don't believe this is your problem.

Is GameVoice USB, I'm not familar with it?  Does your system use a VIA chipset?  If so, perhaps applying the newest version of the USB filter drivers would help.

Are you running DX8?  If you are the errors exiting AH have been seen before.  In RW they can be fixed by using Wav recording vs DirectSound.  Maybe this setting is available in gamevoice as well.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Strega_Mskt

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2001, 06:46:00 AM »
My money says it's not AH. I had the same problem with my Saitek combo. Their tech support people said I needed to use a "plain" keyboard, not a Windows keyboard. Sooo after hours of searching I found a "plain" keyboard. Guess what? Still did the same thing, maybe they meant a "plane" keyboard    Anyway I never got it to work so now it's in the corner collecting dust. Hope you have better luck!

Asus CUSL2
PIII 933
512mg Crucial PC133 Cas 2
Elsa Erazor X-2
Soundblaster Live
Kenwood 72X CD ROM
Plextor 12/10/32 CD RW
Linksys LNE 10/100 TX
Windows 98 SP-1
DX 7 then 8
Still using Microsoft Sidewinder Pro
Microsoft keyboard & mouse

Offline WxMan

• Nickel Member
      • Arabian Knights
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2001, 03:14:00 PM »
Bloom, I don't use Sidewinder GameVoice that often because after about 15 minutes in command mode the application hangs even with the latest drivers for it. I mainly rely on Roger Wilco and have changed it to Wave Recording instead of Direct Sound.

I guess I'm thinking now that it is more likely a USB problem, but where do I find updated drivers for it.

WxMan
VMF-111 DevilDogs

AKWxMan
Arabian Knights

"The money you payed earns you nothing. You paid for many hours of entertainment you received, and nothing more." - HiTech

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2001, 06:54:00 AM »
I recommend grabbing the latest drivers for everything you can find, particularly your sound card.  After that, re-apply DX 8.0.  The RW direct-sound recording problems are a DX8 thing, I am on wav recording now too.

I do see one big potential cause for all of this though, your OC'd CPU.  De-clock that sucker back to stock and try it.  Yes I know what you are going to say, "Everything else works fine at that speed." but do it anyway.  AH puts more load on your machine than anything else you likely do with it.  There have been several people who's strange AH problems were solved by turning their CPUs back down to stock speed.  Even if it's not the problem, you need to set it back to stock speed until you are done troubleshooting to remove it as a potential issue.  Turn your video card back down if you've overclocked that as well.  When you have all the problems ironed out, THEN try turning the CPU back up a bit at a time. Some folks have found that they can still OC, but they can't turn it up as high as they thought and still run AH.

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

[This message has been edited by Lephturn (edited 03-08-2001).]

Offline WxMan

• Nickel Member
      • Arabian Knights
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2001, 09:28:00 AM »
This appears to be a Roger Wilco issue. When I alt-tab out of AH and close RW, the desktop does not hang. Thank you all for your ideas.

WxMan
VMF-111 DevilDogs
AKWxMan
Arabian Knights

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »
Switching to "wav" recording didn't solve it?

That fixed it up for me, and others seem to be doing fine with wav recording and DX8.  Have you tried getting the latest version of RW?

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline WxMan

• Nickel Member
      • Arabian Knights
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2001, 01:00:00 AM »
I have the latest version of RW and have been running in WAV mode for a couple of weeks since I saw a post here about it Lephturn.

This alt-tab only works about half of the time.

Also, when installing the 2 last patches the desktop hung immediately after the install.
I did not even enter AH and did not have RW up at the time. So I'm still at a loss.

I've also set the CPU speed back too. Resources before I enter AH was 87%.

WxMan
VMF-111 DevilDogs

AKWxMan
Arabian Knights