Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 827 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Brakes
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 01:23:52 AM »
If I remember correctly, long long time ago HT said that the brakes are intentionally made not to lock the wheels. Since most of us don't have fine control over the breaking power but just press a button, locking the wheels will put the nose of the plane right into the ground when we land.

And Benny, you are beginning to make an bellybutton of yourself. Finding quirks and bugs in the physics models, or producing new historical data is one thing, complaining about every tiny game concession and detail is another. Just a friendly warning.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Brakes
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 01:39:58 AM »
Bronk helped me fix it.  The problem was that I had an axis assigned to Brake Both; apparently, this makes the Left Wheel Brake and Right Wheel Brake keys not function.  I'm still sort of in a rut, as I'd like to be able to keep Brake Both on an axis for landings but still be able to apply Left Wheel Brake and Right Wheel Brake when taxiing.  But it looks like that's not going to happen.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Brakes
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 01:48:17 AM »
Get a set of rudder pedals with toe brakes bud, you'll never go back. Can kick full rudder and lock that sides brake with one motion. :aok

I've even managed to turn a P-38 on one engine into its dead side, as long I have some forward momentum when I start it. Hard and not easily repeatable (tried it to see how fast I needed to be before posting, couldn't do it again) but its possible.

But its easy to spot park a Mustang or P-47 with it.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Brakes
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 01:51:07 AM »
Yes, I have a pair of CH Pro Pedals USB.  It's a love-hate relationship; I will not fly without them, but they break about once a year and need sending back for repairs.  Right now they're in the broken stage, and only one toe brake axis works.  If I ever can wrench myself away from this simulator, I'll send them in for repair.  But that'll mean I'm without Aces High for a few weeks.  Imagine that!

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
Brakes
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 01:53:24 AM »
Need to treat them with some TLC man, sticking your foot through the wall wont get that guy off your butt any better...
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Brakes
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 02:00:31 AM »
My problem is I am using gameport ch peds and no toe brake for me. :cry

Anyway most wide tracked  AC pivot easy . AC like spits and 109s hate it , think you can even snap off gear if ya get over zealous .

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
Brakes
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 02:04:53 AM »
Biggest problem I have with my 109 is dragging a wingtip when I try to turn too tight. Its quite exhilerating (read: scares the crap out of you) if you are having one of those "high immersion" nights. :D

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Brakes
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 06:06:01 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
Stop labelling me a troll.  You may not think it's important, but judging that my intention is to stir up trouble is presumptuous at best and dishonest at worst.  Now, this issue is rather large for carrier operations; it's difficult to pull a 360 on a crowded carrier deck and it should not be.  I'm not even claiming that the modelling's wrong, for crying out loud!  Work with me, here.  I don't even know that it's not my settings causing the problem.

I'm not sure I even want to ask this... but why would you want to pivot 360 on a crowded carrier deck in the first place?  The only things I can think of are:

1.  You landed over the bow and are facing the wrong way after a reload...
solution: tower out and reup.

2.  You blew the takoff and are trying to go back and try again...
solution: tower out and reup.

3.  You landed, caught the last wire and don't think you have enough deck room left to reup after reloading.  solution: tower out and reup.

It doesn't seem like a 'large' issue.

EagleDNY
$.02

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Brakes
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 08:50:32 AM »
two things, the default key for both brakes is the

if you over shoot the landing and want to back up on a CV to the reload pad, ease the throttle open just a little bit, it will unlock the "parking brake" and the 30kt "wind " from the CV moving will push you back down the deck.  just don't back up too far.  You can steer with the C & V keys.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
Brakes
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 08:51:10 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
Yes, I have a pair of CH Pro Pedals USB.  It's a love-hate relationship; I will not fly without them, but they break about once a year and need sending back for repairs.  Right now they're in the broken stage, and only one toe brake axis works.  If I ever can wrench myself away from this simulator, I'll send them in for repair.  But that'll mean I'm without Aces High for a few weeks.  Imagine that!

Hi Benny.
The CH Pro Pedals use very fine wire which is easily broken.  When you send them back to CH for repair, they simply solder the wire back on but the fine little wires just break again later.  I replaced all my wires with heavier ones which will probably outlive me.  Here is a posting I made (slightly different subject) that shows the interior of the pedals along with a description of how to take them apart.  It's not hard to do and it will solve your problems with those pedals.

Good luck to you!
regards,
hb
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Brakes
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 09:18:22 AM »
Thanks; I might try that when my hands get better.  By the way, you should include a warning in that post about the warranty.  I believe taking them apart voids it.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Brakes
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 10:11:46 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
two things, the default key for both brakes is the

if you over shoot the landing and want to back up on a CV to the reload pad, ease the throttle open just a little bit, it will unlock the "parking brake" and the 30kt "wind " from the CV moving will push you back down the deck.  just don't back up too far.  You can steer with the C & V keys.

Hey, thanks for the tip.  I've watched people do this and was wondering what was going on.  Have to try that some night.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.