Author Topic: A New Way Forward In Iraq  (Read 4265 times)

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
A New Way Forward In Iraq
« on: January 11, 2007, 12:25:22 AM »
I must have missed the thread.  I thought there'd be discussion.

Here's four links.  I've read some of the essays in real clear politics over the past bit.  I've not delved however.  The last link is Pat Buchanan's site.  His postions remind me of Republican political positions -- the one's I recollect my parents, especially my father, discussing when I was young  -- '65 and on.  

I honestly do not know how to describe what currently passes as republican political positions.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/

http://www.gop.com/default.aspx

http://www.democrats.org/

http://www.theamericancause.org/

Did the President's speech rouse any of you to rally behind him?

Regards,

hap

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:03:16 AM »
Did the President's speech rouse any of you to rally behind him?

I have never stopped supporting him, the troops or their mission, sry but war aint a simple 30 minute thing ...

I did find his speech encouraging:

"We will interrupt the flow of support from Iran and Syria," Bush said. "And we will seek out and destroy the networks providing advanced weaponry and training to our enemies in Iraq."

this with moving the battlegroup into the area means we aren't going to continue to  let supplies, intel and men to stream in from iran and syria.

looks like we jumped right on it:
U.S. forces raid Iranian consulate in Iraq: Tehran

of course the dems are going to whine the exact opposite of whatever he had said .. I do not waste my time listening to their hot air empty promises ..
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 09:37:43 AM »
i back the president too, and his new strategy in Iraq.  we're in the begininng of a long period of conflict between two major cultures precipitated by the effects of a world wide decline of natural petroleum resources, militant Islam and terrorism.  we can't wish it away, we can only try to deal with it.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 09:46:22 AM »
The Democrats now control both houses of Congress. They have made no secret about their determination to "get out of Iraq".

Bush and the Republicans squandered any opportunity to settle this thing. I think the low number of troops was a mistake from the get-go and as a result they have put us in the current situation.

So the window of opportunity passed when the the Dems took over. They will "get us out of Iraq".

That being the case, I see no point in continuing the effort. It will only create another divisive VietNam type situation in the country.

Bush blew it, the Republicans blew it. The Democratic wins in Congress have made the situation unrecoverable so...

time to go.

I'd start bringing the troops home today. All of them.

That's the way I see it. The Dems won't see it through; the decision has been made. No point in losing any more troops.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 10:25:23 AM »
Toad
how did they "blow it"?
by not attacking Syria and Iran at the same time we attacked Iraq?

we won't pull out, nor should we.
If the dems win in 08 and they pull out, then they will have the repercussion on their conscience

it ain't great in Iraq now but if we pull out there won't be an Iraq, just a much larger & stronger Iran
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:51:04 AM »
By sending a insufficient number of troops to occupy Iraq; by not ruthlessly incapacitating the opposition early on.

I didn't say the result would be acceptable.

What I said was the Democratically controlled Congress has made it a priority to get out of Iraq. With that as a given, there is absolutely no chance of a positive outcome.

With the errors made early on, there is in any case only a small chance of a positive outcome at this late date, 21k more troops notwithstanding.

So, no point in losing any more of our troops. Congress isn't going to support the Iraq operation. Period.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 11:15:49 AM »
Toad, are you saying that you think the president's plan might be successful in making Iraq more secure, but as a practical matter,  we should pull out now to save lives because Dems will force a pull out anyway?  do i paraphrase you correctly?
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 11:26:37 AM »
Probably more correct to say Bush's plan is too little-too late (way too late) but I suppose there has to be some small possibility it might succeed. I don't think the possibility would be "zero" but I wouldn't put it much above that either.

Further, the Democratic Congress is determined to pull out; this will generate an even more dangerous situation for our soldiers as Congress cuts funding in order to force withdrawals of troops. I expect they'll use any tool they can find to remove the troops as quickly as possible.

Therefore, I see no reason to prolong the inevitable and lose more soldiers.

I hope that might be more clear.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 11:47:09 AM »
I am very dissatisfied with bush.  Very.  But I am going to support this troop surge.  It might work. Its the last chance in my book.  If this doesnt work then we should destroy Iraq and rebuild it properly like we did Germany and Japan.

To the Iraqis I would say "last chance to get your ***** together"
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 11:54:31 AM »
If we get to kick a little Iranian bellybutton it's worth it. They've had it coming for a long time.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 11:59:47 AM »
Originally posted by lukster
If we get to kick a little Iranian bellybutton it's worth it. They've had it coming for a long time.

WE?

Toad has it about right. I'm just wondering how long it will be before the dems are blamed for "losing" the war?

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 12:00:56 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
WE?

Toad has it about right. I'm just wondering how long it will be before the dems are blamed for "losing" the war?

We as in the United States. If we lose it WILL be the dems fault. Perhaps I should say it will be the left's fault. The left that has critized all of our efforts from the beginning, especially the media.

Ridiculed is a better word than criticize in this case.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:06:14 PM by lukster »

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 12:02:10 PM »
Well that didn't take long.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »

The left set out to ensure our failure from the beginning. Was more important to them to see Bush fail than it was for America to succeed.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 12:29:13 PM »

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Hope nobody's hoping to have a civilized conversation about this... not gonna happen.