Author Topic: How To Drive on Ice (or How I made RPM Laugh His Patootie Off)  (Read 609 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
How To Drive on Ice (or How I made RPM Laugh His Patootie Off)
« on: January 14, 2007, 08:37:44 PM »
With a new wave of winter storm heading our way, we decided to close our store early and let everyone go home before the worst of it hit. As I'm driving home I start to run into light freezing rain. The temp is already below freezing and has been for several hours so the stuff freezes as soon as it hits the road.

I've had lots of experience driving under these conditions, so I slow down and try to maintain a constant speed with as little throttle as possible. The road is almost vacant, but I did pass a couple vehicles sitting crossways in the ditch. As I pass thru the last little town before I'm home, a brand new Chevy pickup falls in behind me.

Obviously, I have no clue as to how important the driver of the Chevy is. They are much more important than me and do not need to be detained by someone with lesser intelligence and driving ability not to mention older, less expensive vehicle.

They flash their high beams trying to get me to pull over on the shoulder and let them by. It does'nt work. They decide that the way to make me move is to pull right up on my bumper and ride the high beams because I'm obviously too fracking stupid to see that they are important and I am in their way. It still does'nt work.

I decide to speed up a tad (from 40 to 45) and put some cushion between me and the mighty Chevy. They stay glued 10 feet from my bumper. I start to feel my traction disappear, but rather than get off the gas and hit the brake, I lean out the throttle just a tad and let the RPM's catch up with the wheels keeping the truck moving straight and steady.

It was then a flash caught my eye. I look in the mirror and see the Chevy starting to break loose and go sideways. It seems that no matter how much your vehicle costs and no matter how important a person you are, the laws of physics remain constant. I keep watching as the Chevy driver hits the brakes hard causing them to reverse their spin, then hit the gas and reverse the spin again and go into a series of 360's. I counted 4 of them before they left the road and went into the ditch.

I was laughing so hard I almost went off the road myself, but kept it under control until I reached my driveway.

Today's lesson, no matter how much you spent on your vehicle, no matter how much of a big shot you believe you are, physics rules.:aok
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:40:34 PM »
:D

dipwad gets what's comin? :  priceless.

:lol
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:51:55 PM »
Hehehe I love watching people do that in my rearview.. What's better is when you offer to pull them out of the ditch with your 4X4 for $10 after they go in it trying to get around you.:aok
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 08:52:03 PM »
Why didn't you turn around and help me push my truck out of the ditch??

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 09:19:15 PM »
Perfect.

:aok
sand

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 09:23:03 PM »
Just more proof that the average person is a complete idiot.

Glad you leaned on your experience RPM, I find myself doing the exact same thing when it's raining buckets here and people don't think that rain affects traction.

Idiots.

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 09:28:03 PM »
I saw more SUV drivers in the ditch with our icey roads and snow over the last 4 days than any other type of vehicle. Seems the Soccer moms didn't get the memo that SUV's are very heavy, and 4WD doesn't make you invulnerable from spin outs.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 10:57:12 PM »
but i thought with 4wd an ABS an SRS an traction control i didn't have to know how to drive on ice?  i'm going to sue the mfg of such a unsafe vehicle.:rolleyes:

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 11:05:04 PM »
Chevybigshotpathosadism :mad:
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 12:08:38 AM »
I had something like that happen to me a few years ago. I was living in Maryland at the time, and the snow hit hard and sudden, and some bellybutton behind me, on a windy road, was tailgaiting me all the way. He ended up rear-ending me at a stop light.

Turned out his wife was in labor.

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 12:16:04 AM »
:Oit is very cold

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 12:25:32 AM »
:furious no dip!?!
well its been nice and warm here the last few days but its gonna get cold here soon:mad:

and there are idiots here that crash on sunny days:rofl
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 03:04:21 AM »
About 10 Years ago I had a simular incident... kid in a late '80's Firebird on snow covered roads was in a hurry.  The car in front of me just made it from a bottom of a hill and made it to the top... my turn to traverse the hill...

Well this kid decided I was of lower intelligence than his few many Years on Earth and passed me... in doing so he honked and politely offered me the Hawaiian Good Luck Sign... I watched in laughter as I seen his car gain the BIG MO and at the bottom of the hill he occupied the left side ditch a cloud of pure white snow erupted...

As I traversed the bottom of the hill and started my climb up I honked the horn to acknowledge his Superior Preformance...my hero.

He had hills behind him and in front of him... a soon to be a tough hike...Should I have pulled over to assist him?

No way and stop the Cycle of Life?  Some things are beyond my ability to change...  

Hope he learned something.

Mac

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 05:37:05 AM »
This just heard on the local NBC affiliate reporter:

"Front wheel drive cars handle the rough road conditions better because the engine is above the source of power."

:rolleyes:
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 05:50:11 AM »
Tailgating is so bad in my area I have gotten to the point of wanting to move...

After moving over to let him pass I followed one guy till he and his mate pulled over and we had a "discussion" on the subject of his tailgating, (turned out he was too stupid to realise that he was in an 80 zone and not a 100)

I have spoken to the local sargent (whilst being booked for speeding :) ) and he said that there is nothing they can do..

It dont bother me that much cause on my bike I will just shoot around the guy infront and let them deal with the tailgater.

But when they do it to my wife and kids or to me when I am with them in the car it gives me the chits.

I have been thinking about mounting a small sprayer (like what they use to wash the window in a car) and filling it with paint stripper but Then I will just get in the chit...

Oh well I guess I just gotta wait till Kama gets em for me...