Author Topic: Bf 109 video  (Read 4467 times)

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2007, 09:01:49 AM »
IMO it comes down to how many enemies you destroyed (and still survived yourself) and that is the only thing a kill chart can tell you.

The piloting and dogfighting skills is another matter which any number cannot describe.

If, e.g. German fighter pilots duelled each other, it is possible that Hartmann would not come out as a winner, but then again at that skill/experience level the outcome could be very random as well with almost no reference to kill tally.

But as I said those things are hard to measure by any scale.

Great piloting skills can get you out of a tight spot but getting voluntarily into such situation is a clear indication of incoming disaster which only luck can keep you away (as Kweassa already said).

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2007, 09:36:01 AM »
Originally posted by humble
Johnson was bounced and almost killed early in his career my Egon Meyer (or Lang). All that saved him was the fact that Meyer had run out of 20mm already. He actually felt like his plane was unflyable and tried to bail out but the canopy was so shot up he couldnt get it open. So he managed to nurse it home and had to be pryed out of the wreck....

There is one well known german ace {Adolf Glunz}who not only was never shot down/scratched but his plane NEVER took any serious damage (possibly not even a bullet hole). He once went "glider" {engine siezed due to mechanical failure} during a fight with two p-47's and managed to escape them and ditch. He flew 500+ sorties (almost all in the west), engaged in 232 documented aerial combats and scored 71 kills.

Hey humble...

I really dont know much about WWII aces.... But I am sure there were fine pilots on both sides... And I have not been involved in one of these "discussions" on the AH BBS before, so I hope you can take this comment as it is IE: "from an unbiased point of view"

Ok here we go:  
When I read the two paragraphs you wrote (see the quote), you make...

No wait.... A better way to put that is "The way it reads"  So.

The way it reads makes the Allied pilot "Johnson" sound like an unskilled frightened little child.. and the Axis pilot "Glunz" as some sort of bullet proof super hero.

It really gives the impression that you have a bias towards the Axis pilot...

I sincerly mean no disrespect by saying that, its just that it sounds like that when I read it...

Just my two cents...

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2007, 10:14:28 AM »
Was wondering when my stalkers would show up. Didn't take long!:rofl

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2007, 11:55:57 AM »
"It really gives the impression that you have a bias towards the Axis pilot..."

What, who, Humble? :huh

:rofl

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2007, 01:15:41 PM »
Still, the BEST Luft ace they had was a Frenchman!:D

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2007, 01:56:48 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
Still, the BEST Luft ace they had was a Frenchman!:D

Well ,Pierre Clostermann was the real french ace ... with an almost german name ... so :)

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2007, 04:13:49 PM »
Actually Clostermann he was in the vicinity when his German relative died in air combat. However, he was not involved in the incident.

He was Bruno Klostermann and he died on 14. January 1945 flying a 109.

-C+

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2007, 07:40:56 PM »
See Rules #4, #5
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 09:47:54 PM by Skuzzy »

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2007, 09:44:05 PM »
It seems Humble is unwilling to admit the 109 was a competitive fighter. Oh well...

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2007, 09:25:20 AM »
Originally posted by Viking
It seems Humble is unwilling to admit the 109 was a competitive fighter. Oh well...

I never said that the 109 wasnt "competitive". The Brewster Buffalo was competitive, it's not a really high standard to meet once you realize that all front line combat planes were deadly when flown by quality pilots. What I'm saying is that the 109 evolved beyond its optimal development. I'll use the 109/P-39 as a comparision.

The 109D was clearly the dominant fighter in the world in 1937. The same time frame the 1st P-39 prototype was delivered. As designed the P-39 would have not only been the dominant plane of "1937" it would have been the 1st 400mph front line fighter and equal to any 1944 fighter of the war. That didnt happen and the P-39 entered service significantly watered down from its full potential. Both the 109 and the P-39 went thru significant evolution. I would view them from a nuetral historical perspective as being roughly equal. The 109 was the "backbone of the luftwaffe thru mid 1944 and the russians valued the P-39 so highly that continued delivery was a key provision of the potsdam accords. The combat record of the 109 speak for themselfs.....but so do the accomplishments of the soviets flying the P-39.

The P-63 entered service in 1943 (october) and was a significant "upgrade".

Engine: One 1,325-hp Allison V-1710-93 inline piston engine
        Weight: Empty 6,375 lbs., Max Takeoff 10,500 lbs.
        Wing Span: 38ft. 4in.
        Length: 32ft. 8in.
        Height: 12ft. 7in.
        Performance:
            Maximum Speed at 25,000 ft: 410 mph
            Cruising Speed: 378 mph
            Ceiling: 43,000 ft.
            Range: 450 miles (2,200 miles in ferry configuration)
        Armament:
            One 37-mm M4 cannon
            Two nose-mounted 12.7-mm (0.5-inch) machine guns
            Up to three 522-pound bombs

We'll compare this to the equivelent 109....(G6)

Engine: 1800-hp Daimler-Benz DB-605 inverted V-12 piston engine
        Weight: Empty 5,893 lbs., Max Takeoff 6,945 lbs.
        Wing Span: 32ft. 6.5in.
        Length: 29ft. 7in.
        Height: 11ft. 2in.
        Performance:
            Maximum Speed at at 23,000 ft: 385mph
            Ceiling: 38,500 ft
            Range: 450 miles
        Armament:
            Two 13mm (0.51-inch) MG131 machine guns
            Three 20mm MG151 cannon

Both of these are from warbird alley and are for "comparision". The G6 is listed with the gondola 20mm's....

Gunther Rall was unequivical in the belief that the 109F was the optimum evolution of the 109 and I agree. The 109 was simply pushed beyond its true useful life. Does that mean it wasnt competative, of course not. What it means is that it robbed the germans of another option. Yes they were evolving to jets, but piston driven planes played a major role in Korea and even vietnam.

If we look at the end of the war the americans, british, japanes and germans all had working jet prototypes. The 262 was clearly the furthest evolution but the P-80 and Meteor 3 were "competitive". The British and Americans both had significantly advanced pistion engine planes. both the P-63 and F7F were combat deployable by mid 1944 yet we didnt feel any need for either. This is what clearly shows the difference in the state of platfrom development.

The vast majority of military aviation historians lay the fall of the luftwaffe (in part) on its failure to move beyond the 109. This is a marked contrast to its design/production approach to tanks. Imagine the germans going into combat in 1944/45 in upgunned PZIII's. The PZIIIJ was the dominant tank of its era and the PZIVA was envisioned as an infantry tank. Yet by 1942 the realization that the PZIII wouldnt be able to keep up led to the "stop gap" PZIV (D,E,F,G,H){equivelent to the 109G10,14,K-4} while the PZ V and PZ PZVI were under development.

When you consider that the 1st spitfire XIV was delivered in Oct, 1943 and the 1st spit XIV squad was active Jan, 4 1944 you see the problem. No question that the 109K-4 was "competitive"....but when did it really enter service. The germans were historically the technologial front runner (1st jet, best tank etc). The purely political favoritism that 109 enjoyed simply robbed the luftwaffe of any truely useful alternative beyond the 190. the real question is what might have been....

comparision spit XIV vs !09K4

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2007, 09:39:59 AM »
Ok, so you admitt the 109 was a competitive fighter. Thank you.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2007, 10:57:44 AM »
Was wondering when my stalkers would show up. Didn't take long!:rofl

how about, stop being a child viking, eh?

i hold no respect for a man who simply puts people on an 'ignore list' when they disagree with him.

humble/snaphook is one of the kindest men ive met on this forum, you really are being very childish.

well, now you can put me on your ignore list (which i notice has been removed from your sig, probably because you ignore so many that it breached the 5 lines rule) or better yet, why dont you call up skuzzy and get him to delete my post :aok

with all due respect,

bat.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2007, 12:09:52 PM »
Since you obviously didn't notice it, I'm no longer using the ignore list ... I even replied to Humble in my previous post. So why don't you pay more attention ... with all due respect etc. etc. The ignore list was obviously working against its intended purpose.

If Humble is such a kind gentleman he wouldn't have trolled this thread like he did. If Humble is such a kind gentleman, there would be no need for Skuzzy to moderate him. Tell me thy company, and I'll tell thee what thou art. With all due respect and salutations etc. etc.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2007, 12:15:56 PM »
Since you obviously didn't notice it, I'm no longer using the ignore list ... I even replied to Humble in my previous post. So why don't you pay more attention ... with all due respect etc. etc. The ignore list was obviously working against its intended purpose.

If Humble is such a kind gentleman he wouldn't have trolled this thread like he did. If Humble is such a kind gentleman, there would be no need for Skuzzy to moderate him. Tell me thy company, and I'll tell thee what thou art. With all due respect and salutations etc. etc.

Yea humble might even get PNGed.

Ohh wait wrong person.
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Bf 109 video
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2007, 12:18:15 PM »
Good one! :aok :rofl