Author Topic: Over the nose view  (Read 2268 times)

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2007, 12:05:31 PM »
excelent post schatzi!

here is something i found awhile back that helps alot and enables you to check both sides without having to remap the forward view which i use as fw/up

if you combine 'look back' and either side of 'fowrd/left' or 'fwrd/right' it gives you a default 'look forward' view for each side that you can 'arrow key and F10'.

now comes the tricky part, switch the 'look back' view to a thumb button just below the hat.

you can now look back and still move the hat to either fwrd/left or fwrd/right.

sounds complicated but it means you can check over the nose on either side at anytime.

you can also now re-asign the disused down hat for elevator tirm.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 01:13:28 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
if you combine 'look back' and either side of 'fowrd/left' or 'fwrd/right' it gives you a default 'look forward' view for each side that you can 'arrow key and F10'.

Interesting that, so I tried it and yes it works, but it feels so unnatural I went back to the way I originally mapped with the back view on the hat switch.

But your method does then give 4 different forward views you can save including the default.

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Over the nose view
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 01:37:25 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
Its the look forward position of the hatswitch. Or if youre using keypad for views, its the 8 key. Adjust the head position on the forward view with arrow left (left) arrow down (back) and page up (up) - when youre done F10 to save the head position.

You know Schatzi, I have been doing this for about 7-8 months now and never even thought of posting it up in here! :rofl   I have both my front-right/left views set up like that.  You can see over there anways but never to that outside postion.  I have the big problem of getting fixated on the target and then getting antsy on them during a rolling scissors move and lose track of them.  Once I started flying with the AK's I realized this really helped as that move works really well.... especially when I guy can't see over his nose at what your doing.  :D
Great write up girl!  Screen shots are good too, helps explain it very well.  :aok
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2007, 02:02:24 PM »
cc that blagard, i was forced to on an old stick because the hat was playing up, eversince a few months of that i have found it hard to go back to using the hat for the look back view.

it also gives me two free hat possitions bottom left and right, as you can press lookback button and side hat for check6 left and right. at present i keep them unassigned to stop hitting down trim by mistake.

unfortunate solution to a mortaly wounded stick that i could never change back now :)

this is using a saitek cyborg twisty stick with limited buttons, as long as you can manage to hit both back view and forward left/right view keys at once its all good.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2007, 07:44:27 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
X Rotation > Analog Inputs View Move Left/Right
Y Rotation > Analog Inputs View Move Up/Down

At least thats the tumbsticks axis assignment on my system.

Edit:  I did have to turn on scaling, and add some deadband to those two axis to get them to work properly.

thanks chief I'll give that a shot... :aok
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Over the nose view
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2007, 06:13:58 AM »
I've had my mini set-up like that for months and use it often to look "around" the canopy frame work, but in the heat of battle.... just never thought of rolling it up and over the nose.... Dohhh!

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
Over the nose view
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2007, 03:52:49 PM »
If the micro stick is calibrated, and you have the deadband and scaleing set, when ya let go of the microstick, other view functions should function as normal.

Yes Murdr , yes I found that out , thanks .

I tried it and it's somewhat like trackir but with the thumbs :)

My mini stick shakes alot , and doesn't recenter to well either , so I undid it again . The number 4 stick set did work though :O)
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Over the nose view
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2007, 06:47:05 PM »
I had also at one time tried to set the micro-stick to pan mode.  While it did work, I was not precise enough for what I wanted.  That isn't the setting I was talking about though.  I am refering to using the micro-stick in place of the arrow keys, so you can lean over or alongside the nose at the flick of the thumb.  It is also handy for when the cockpit frame is blocking the view of what you want to look at.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 06:58:29 PM »
it's going to take some getting used to but I got it working.  I may reverse the axis as it seems like a more natural motion to me. that's some cool stuff murdr :aok  I owe you the beverage of your choice sir
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 08:07:21 PM »
Originally posted by TW9
also if u place the mouse pointer on the center dot of your gunsite u can use that as an aiming reference when using an "other than default"  view ;) works with osti's and gunner positions aswell.

ahh nice tip.. I often fly with my view to the off set like his example but always have to revert back to center when I start shooting. Going to have to try that one out. :aok
"strafing"