Author Topic: Why dont I shoot like this all the time:)  (Read 823 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Why dont I shoot like this all the time:)
« on: January 28, 2007, 07:04:17 PM »
Every once in awhile you you hit that shot you think you should hit all (or most) of the time...but dont.  I'm not talking about the unconcious "one timer" or 800+ sniper shot but that mid range modest angle off shot that always seems to either just tickle em or if your lucky maybe knock off a part.  Then you get moments like this.....

I'm climbing out toward our dead CV....bunch of cons ahead and a low la of some sort....as I nose over he pulls up so I go vertical and then roll on back in....not really a rope and not really a "dogfight"...I'm basically just countering and assessing....he gives me a look so I roll into lead....but in my mind I'm just scooting him along....1 tap of the trigger...and zap. Just makes you realize what a different game those with outstanding gunnery play.

ping!

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 09:54:17 PM »
Haven't watched your vid, but that's the one thing I wish I was great at. Great gunnery has got to make a big difference.

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 10:50:13 PM »
Address Not Found Error   :(
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 11:00:01 PM »

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 12:07:54 AM »
Works fine now.
Nice shot too btw:)
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline nickf620

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 01:20:57 AM »
very nice shooting
i had one of those tonight in a squad tournament

something like 16 hispanos fired (about a half second burst) 2 hit and there goes my squadies wing here is a shot of the rounds hitting you can see it was only 2
Since tour 75

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 01:57:09 AM »
w00t! La-7 getting PWN3D!!!!1!

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »
makes you wonder what the game wuold be like if you hit those shots you "should" all the time. No muss no fuss.....just a does or two of ACM and a gentle squeeze:eek: :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 07:48:17 AM »
All I know is that some days everything is golden.

Try a high % deflection shot and it goes down in flames.
All you can do is fly until it stops, and enjoy the HECK out of it.  :)

Because chances are tomorrow your back to normal.

Offline 1cemanVS

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 08:22:06 AM »
very high % angle, couple rounds in the cockpit/engine, if u look at it from his view, he gets totally disoriantated and loses all sight of you snap, leaving him hanging out there like a flopping fish

good but simple gunnery finishes the job, im in and out on my gunery aswell like you, sometimes i only need 1-2 second window, either a snap shot or on someones six to close the deal, other days ive followed a bogey for miles while he evades my poorly placed shots

like gosth said, when im in the zone is the former example, i try not to log off, its a roll of the dice what its going to be like tomorrow :P

Offline Geaux

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 08:45:36 AM »
I agree, somedays (a couple of hours mainly) it feels as if you own the sky.  You hit everything you aim at, your plane is riding on rails and you are the AWACs (sp) of SA.  Then all returns to normal....

Once in a while you cant hit the broadside of a barn, your plane feels like it is flying through sand and you dont even know where you are much less the enemy.  I'm in this category a lot. :furious

Then again maybe this just happens to  me....

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
No question he gives me the setup....it really isnt/wasnt a "ACM" clip on either side. He actually topped out high enough that he had to have had some typoe of a shot (didnt watch from his end) {heard him shoot at the time and in clip}. the comments on "streaks" is kind of intersting timing wise. I'd flown to hops prior (1st SBD,2nd hog}. BushLT popped me both times. !st I was focused on giving other friendly 6 call and wasnt watching my own, but he bounced me in hog 2nd and just pwned my attempted lets get cute with the high spit reversal.

So I was in the hmmm lets be smart and not get to out of sorts mode and really was somewhat timid in the sense I wasnt really trying to "lock in"....not wanting to get dragged down to the deck etc....

Again as Ice noted this is the shot you should hit...just enough angle off for good perspective range near convergence stable con....how come so often this leads to a fight that leaves me hunting down a dinged wounded bird or not being able to convert and getting ehacked in turn.

anyway this was 1st kill in a 6 kill landed sortie....next hop was a 7 kill. I actually had 5 (with 2 assists) and was getting set to RTB but there was a friendly in a bit of trouble....I cleared him and akak arrived to even it up....as I was rolling out to egress I saw 90prf in a GV with a con stafing him....(now I had 68 rounds total left in my 4 gun set ...think ~200 or so in the 2 gun)...was a spit set up down and left and sideslipped in and tapped as I crossed and nailed wingroot...wing comes off and he augers (assist). Get 6 call from 90 and evade 190 coming in...roll thru into lag but cant catch....then he pulls g's up into akak and guy I cleared...:)....[tap] ....wingtip comes off and he spins out...now as I level spitXVI is below and behind but focused on guys I cleared ....rudder slip and [tap] ....pony is still on niggit, akak kind of on him....spitty on me....friendly stalls out, pony misses and stalls out pulling and akak shoots right thru the inadvertant spin ....pony now floating 200 out in my sights....[click]......arghhhh my bb's ran out.

So obviously "the zone" is a real phenomenon (sp??) 2kills and an assist on mostly 2 guns. Funny how sometimes your just throwing rounds out at "the other guy"....here I actually popped wingroot {aim point} {wingtip, was aiming at wingroot} and cockpit all 3 were relatively high speed moderate angle single "tap" {bout same as one in clip} with initial rounds all more or less right on my mental "image"....I landed both hops with zero or minimal ammo (think I had roughly 60 rds in the 2 gun bank 1st hop. So 13 kills comes out to 361 rds per kill. If you factor in 2 assists per hop (guess) then your down to 276....throw in the occasional "herding" burst and your at 250 or so.

I'd guess that ~25 .50 cal is probably an average "killing burst" {actual # of rounds thst hit}...so thats still only about 10% gunnery...

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 01:15:27 PM »
This happens to me. Some days everything I shoot at falls out of the sky and then some days it seems my guns are loaded with blanks. I'm beginning to suspect its a disparity of latency or something affecting this. As an example, I have cox high speed and have never won a ramming contest. Any time contact is made, i crash and my opponent flys away. Some have said this is a connection speed thing. I've also been in a turn fight where the enemy is clearly out of possition and will fly past when all of the sudden a second or so AFTER he's flown past, pings are heard and damage registers. Sometimes I think I should hook up my Dial up connection to play this.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 03:34:34 PM »
Thats some fine gunnery snaphook, nicely done!

i saw this thread and just had to add this......hope you dont mind me posting in your thread mate!

happened the other day and im infact about to go post this on the main forum because it just unbelievable.....:O :O :O

can you say 'best shot evar'?

just......wow......must have a round loaded in the breach in all guns because the ammo counter doesnt even go down...

bat
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
great clip....talk about a noggin shot
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 03:55:19 PM »