Author Topic: "Nice shooting"  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 01:36:20 AM »
The problem is players falsely implying that other players' victories were due to gunnery and not flying skill.  Like I said, if you don't want to hand out a compliment, don't.  Now, saying "good shooting" is very much like saying, "Your flying wasn't worth mentioning but that was some good gunnery."  Obviously, then, saying "good shooting" when the outcome of the fight was in fact determined by gunnery rather than flying skill is not the problem.  But saying "good shooting" when the fight wasn't won by shooting but by excellent flying is deceitful.

For an extreme example, I can think of a time when a talented flier, "Joe," fought a less skilled player, "Ronny."  Joe out-maneuvered Ronny in a fair fight, getting behind Ronny right away and staying there, but took a long time to finish him because of Joe's poor gunnery.  After the fight, Ronny said, "good shooting."  But it was obvious to me and everyone who saw the fight that it wasn't good shooting, it was bad shooting and great flying.  Ronny was not being quite honest there; he handed out a false compliment to avoid giving out a real one.  He didn't want to admit he was out-maneuvered in a fair fight, so he made it sound as if Ronny had simply gotten in a lucky shot or head-on pass.

If that situation is good with you, Hubsonfire, then I'll just squelch you if ever I see you in the game, because I don't deal with rude and dishonest players.  If that's not the case, however, then I don't see why you apparently disagree with me here.  Or is it that you just like to jump on me whenever you see me because of past disagreements about airplanes and countries?  At any rate, I don't think I need to say a whole lot more here.  My point has been made quite clearly (reduntantly, even), and anyone of integrity will recognize its value.  Those who won't, won't, and nothing I say will change that.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 01:50:50 AM by Benny Moore »

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 02:53:12 AM »
my brain hurts after reading this thread. Seriously...if someone gives you a compliment just take it. Especially if its not meant as a jab. I usually just say "nice one" so it makes sense for every occasion. The threads on this BBS are getting crazier and crazier. :rolleyes: :lol

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 03:45:51 AM »
lol you ever think that 99% of the people flying this game don't give it any where near as much thought as you have?

It all means the same too me.. Only time anything might mean something different is when you make a "nice shot" meaning it was actually a nice shot.
"strafing"

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 03:50:34 AM »
I usually throw out a salute to those who kill me unless they vulch or ho in a nikspitlala. :)

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
Re: "Nice shooting"
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 04:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
A friendly salute or a "good kill" is a good thing to hear after a well-earned kill.  What about "nice shooting"?  When I say, "nice shooting," it means that the flier who shot me didn't work hard to out-manuever me but rather caught me with a well-placed deflection shot.  It's by no means a jab at his flying but rather a recognition of his superior gunnery.  For the same reason, I say "good flying" or something similar when the gunnery was not particularly spectacular but my opponent out-manuevered me.  And if I find his flying and shooting both noteable, I'll say, "Great flying, good shooting!"

However, I find that most people don't do anything of the sort.  What makes me raise an eyebrow is when I work for three minutes to out-maneuver an opponent flying a more maneuverable ship than mine, and I finally get on his tail and hit him enough to send him down, and the guy says "nice shooting."  It's as if the fact that I just out-maneuvered him - in a fighter twice as heavy as his - is of little or no consequence.  What's even worse is the "nice shot."  This implies that he would have won if I hadn't made the shot, but it just wasn't his day.  The hint is that not only was my maneuvering unimpressive, but my gunnery isn't really that great either.  I just got lucky, or made an unusually decent shot.

Why do people dislike acknowledging when the other pilot flies well?  When I see somone fly in a particularly impressive manner, I make known my admiration.   It could be that he was fighting in an inferior ship, or was outnumbered, or fought from a lower energy state.  Or perhaps his flying wasn't the best I've seen, but he'd only been flying two weeks and his skill is equivalent to a three month player.  Whatever it is, I feel it deserves credit.  It takes hard work to become good at this, many years for most people.  A simple exclaimation can really make one's day better.  There's so much negativity going around (much of it deserved, unfortunately); why not praise when it's due?

nicely punctuated!

;)

Offline jon

• Nickel Member
      • http://http://www.wildaces.us
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 06:58:21 AM »
:huh  you are obviously looking for a pat on the back. GOOD FLYING BENNY!!!!!
Now if we ever fly against each other it is covered. OH wait,
good shooting.  Just want to cover all the bases

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 07:28:10 AM »
I'm sorry you don't feel you received a complement consistant with the task you feel you performed.

If I received a "nice  flying" or "nice shooting" I would regardless of the true  nature of my efforts, to me it would mean the same thing...a complement.

Communication via text is the hardest type of communication.  It's even harder when you are forced into short phrases in the game.

If you made a uber great move to get on his six and send him to the tower, when he says "nice shooting" smile and say thank you, it was likely meant as a complement.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 07:38:18 AM »
Originally posted by jon
:huh  you are obviously looking for a pat on the back. GOOD FLYING BENNY!!!!!
Now if we ever fly against each other it is covered. OH wait,
good shooting.  Just want to cover all the bases

:lol

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 07:40:17 AM »
On a serious note, the compliment, "nice shooting", might just be that he tried to outfly you, couldn't, and was hoping you were a terrible shot.  Since you weren't, he complimented you on it!  discussion in this thread is now over!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 08:52:41 AM »
Wow, ummm. Just fly and have fun. If your happiness and general contentment with the game is conditional upon the praise or lack thereof from your adversaries you're doomed to be miserable. Over-analyzing compliments and their subtle implications and insinuations about your talent or lack thereof is an exercise in vigorous mental masturabation... ;)

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Big Mickey

• Zinc Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 08:58:13 AM »
So, now it's gone from whining about people NOT complementing ones skill, to whining about HOW poeple complement ones skill???

Benny, please tell me this was done tongue in cheek or as a joke. If you're serous about this I think it's time to stop playing for a bit. Why you ask?? Well lets take a step back and look at it from a distance. You are at a point where it sounds like you're getting the affirmation of your worth from a bunch of us dolts like me that play a silly cartoon game. Additionally you taken it a step further by reading different possible meaning into what these dolts are saying. And now it's bothered you to the point of having to open a discussion about it in a public forum!!

DUDE!!! PUT DOWN THE JOYSTICK!! take a nice walk in the park..... go have a beer at the ball game.... go give the wife the old pickle tickle... just do something else for a bit before you need medication.

Big Mickey

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 09:35:56 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore

If that situation is good with you, Hubsonfire, then I'll just squelch you if ever I see you in the game

You mean to tell me there are players who DON'T have Hubs squelched?
:rofl :lol :D

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 09:49:46 AM »
S!

maby the other flyer had channel 200 turned off?  at least he not pm'd you.  i seriously thinking of turning off 200. i getting tired of getting pm’s from noobs who have no manners.  If there is no S! or gk or wtg, no biggie.  Just fly on and have fun.

S!
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 10:10:50 AM »
oh brother..who cares.  If you like the fight just send a simple to the guy.  If he sends one back, or if he doesn't, so what.  Nice flying, nice shooting, the subtle difference between the two...get real.  Lots of guys don't even tune to 200.  My general rule of thumb, I usually don't send a when I win, but will return one if I recieve one.  Usually don't say anything on 200 either unless they initiate it.

Offline a4944

• Copper Member
"Nice shooting"
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 10:13:42 AM »
So, was it a nice shot?  Like a high deflection or long range shot?  You have to manuever to shoot so they go hand-in-hand.

Venom
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:18:22 AM by a4944 »