Author Topic: Core-Duo  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Core-Duo
« on: February 04, 2007, 10:52:26 AM »
OK.. I posted earlier about upgrading to an A64 processor..

just did taxes last night.. found out we're getting a LOT more than we had planned...

I think I'm going to make the jump to the Core-duo!

I saw a post awhile back for a compatible motherboard that had both AGP and PCIe slots... I still want want to stick to a "budget" system, and that means keeping my high-end AGP video card.. for now.

Does anyone have a link for that motherboard?  Any advise on what I should look for on the processor/cooling setup?

I'm looking to spend at most $500 and I'll need to purchase:

-Motherboard
-Processor
-RAM
-Power Supply - Maybe a case (sometimes you can get them together)  I have several cases laying around but kind of want a new one.
-SATA hard drive

For now I'll be using XP Home and reusing my AGP video and optical drives.

Thanks for any advice!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
like these
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 01:03:13 PM »
ASRock 775Dual - intel

or this one for AMD:

ASRock 939Dual-VSTA Socket 939

I'd get one of these if you can find one if it can handle an Opteron. Just dropped an opt 170 into my asus 939 pin mb.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
Core-Duo
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 03:09:46 PM »
Tigger,

If you have a frys near by you can pick up a dual core combo with the E6300 for around 170.  The board you get with it is fine (i have one) but forget about any overclocking.

I just got the ASROCK board on (open box) from new egg.  This one should overclock better plus it has both pci express and agp.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Core-Duo
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 10:14:21 PM »
The 775dual looks exactly like what I need... but.. it doesn't list the core-duo as a compatible processor.. does it work with those?

As far as frys... there are none near me.. I've never even heard of that store.. we have compusas and best buys around here.

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
Core-Duo
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 07:53:29 AM »
Yes the Asrock board supports the core 2 duo (conroe).
Check frys.com and look under combos. I think it is a good deal if you don't plan on overclocking.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Core-Duo
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 03:57:22 PM »
OK.. i was reading about the inter ASRock... it appears some were shipped with an older version of BIOS and do not work with the core-duo until you update the bios.

The problem is you need a processor that WILL work, to allow it to boot enough to do a flash.

Anyone run into that problem?

I'm actually considering an Athlon 64 X2 processor... anyone have any experience with this?

I e-filed saturday.. hopefully I'll see the money by the 12th or 13th... can't wait ;)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Core-Duo
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 06:11:04 PM »
I heard that Core-duos are based on Pentium3 architecture. P3s were far more efficient (in terms of ghz/watt ratio) than P4s.  Basically the core duo is like having 2 pentium 3s:p.  I guess breaking the 3GHZ barrier is just not possible with the current materials.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Core-Duo
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 07:24:53 PM »
The P-3s weren't that great... they were just alot less transistors. If I recall right, they only went up to 667MHz. The Centrino laptops started appearing about the same time that the P-4 was breaking 2GHz. They originally came out in the 1.2GHz-1.4GHz area. I don't recall them being based on any particular pentium architecture. The chip was completely designed in Israel. The Core2Duo is based off of that core. All of Intel's current releases are based off of that core. It's the only smart decision (processor related) that Intel has made in the last 7 years. Hell... maybe even 10 years.

The question I have to ask is: "Why the hell do we still have 5,000 designers working stateside?"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Core-Duo
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 08:09:47 PM »
LOL MiniD.  That was good.

1K3, dunt know where you dug up that information but it is pretty wrong.  It is common knowledge the Core design was done in Israel, initially for the laptop CPU's, as I recall.

And the P3 architecture was not that great either.  but it did go to 1Ghz MiniD.  I have several 933Mhz P3's about.

The P4's had a colorful life.  The went from bad (Willamette), to decent (Northwood HT), to really bad (Prescott).

I was glad to see the Pentium name retired for this new line of CPU's.  That would have been some tough marketing baggage to shed.  Cannot figure why anyone would want an AMD CPU right now.  Intel owns the price/performance crown right now.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Core-Duo
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 09:21:50 PM »
Skuzzy, not trying to flame you or anything, but what is it that you have against the Prescotts?  Just about everything I'm reading... reviews, etc... are on a positive note.. I mean I'm sure they may be no match to the high end Core2Duo's, but then again they are a generation older too.

I've been looking at systems, parts, prices and all that... and I'm getting back into realization that the Core2Duo may still be a bit out of my price range, and I'm leary about taking a GHZ hit to open myself up for dual cores.

So I'm curious... let's take a... 2.0 GHZ Core2Duo.. and match it up against a... 3.2GHZ Prescott... We're talking Windows XP here.. let's say... 1 GB ram.  What kind of performance differences would I really notice?

I don't do any high-end 3d design.  I do some gaming, but nothing I would consider "profession gamer" kind of stuff.  I'm not running a server or anything and do only moderate multitasking.. maybe at any given time have 3 or 4 programs open in the foreground...

Would it really make THAT much of a difference?

Then let's go one further.. How would this same Prescott 3.2GHZ compare to an Athlon 64 2.0 processor?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Core-Duo
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 05:12:49 AM »
The Prescott consumes far too much power (i.e. runs far too hot) and is slower than the previous Northwood family, clock for clock.  A 2.4Ghz Northwood was comparable to a 3Ghz Prescott, except the Northwood ran about 50 defgrees cooler.

A 2Ghz Core2Duo will stomp a 3.2Ghz Prescott into the dirt, in virtually every area.  The same Core2 CPU would eat that Athlon alive.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Core-Duo
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 07:31:41 AM »
Another note i Have the e6600 and they are nice and easy to install too.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
Core-Duo
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 07:17:57 PM »
P3's went up to 1.4 GHz, as did their Celeron equivalent's. One of my lab machines is one of these 1.4 GHz Coppermines, and it is much faster than you would think.

These Coppermine core chips were much more efficient, cycle for cycle, than the P4's that replaced them. Their big liability was that they worked on a 100 or 133 MHz bus, whereas the later P4s were working at up to 800 MHz bus speeds. That meant that anything involving memory could be a lot faster on a later P4 than a P3, but in terms of raw CPU muscle-powered tasks, and for windows computing in general, in my lab, the P3 @1.4 runs about as fast as a P4@2.4 on a 400 MHz bus.

The Pentium M and Centrinos are evolved from the Coppermine core P3's, created by Intel's Israeli team as a wholy seperate branch from the P4. Basically think of them as P3's with SSE2 and more, and a higher memory bus speed.

The Core2 Duos are basically a pair of fast Pentium M cores slapped together with an even higher bus speed.

I'm greatly simplifying here, but the gist of things are that the NetBurst architechture of the P4 wound up be an evolutionary dead end, and the Coppermine P3 led directly down the Intel CPU branch we are enjoying today.

There's no doubt that the Core2 Duo's are really great. When my current rig, currently running the last, great overclockable and cool P4, the 3.0 GHz Northwood, is replaced, it's certainly going to be a Core2 Duo...

-Llama
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 07:26:11 PM by llama »

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Core-Duo
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 08:33:38 PM »
Thanks guys.. that's exactly the type of information I was looking for.  I'm still into the old school thought that MORE GHZ is better, and was skeptical about expecting a performance improvement while DECREASING GHZ.. but the more I read you guys talk about it, the more secure I feel about my investment.

Let me do some more research and see what I can come up with.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Core-Duo
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 10:09:59 PM »
OK.. I've done some research.. and some math.

I can do the ASROCK 775dual-VSTA MB

2 (2X1028) gigs of ram (kingston DDR2)

E6300 Conroe 1.86GHZ (stock heatsink/fan, included with processor, for now)

Combo CDRW/DVD drive (Lite-on brand, but cheap enough to take that risk)

160GB SATA Western Digital Harddrive

And reusing my case/PS/AGP Video/wireless network card and Windows XP Home.

And it will only cost $25 more than a similar setup I was (somewhat) considering with a Prescott 3.2GHZ.

Shipping reduction costs may even make up that difference, being I won't be purchasing a case/ps and those are the most expensive things to ship.

I'd still like to break the 2.0GHZ barrier in the Conroe, but processor prices appear to increase SHARPLY above the E6300, so I think I'll stick with that.

I just want one more reassurance that this 1.86GHZ Conroe will outperform the 3.2GHZ Prescott that Skuzzy despises so much!  haha  Once my taxes come in next week, I'll be ordering it all up!

Purchasing all brand new from newegg, looks like I'll be spending $461.99+shipping.

We do not have Fry's here, the closest thing we have is CompUSA, and they don't even come CLOSE in prices.  Thanks for your help!  You guys are great!