Author Topic: Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?
« on: February 20, 2007, 11:15:53 AM »
Tired of seeing black spider web on winshield in fights?:furious  

I wish engine and radiator hits would produce puffs of smoke (same effect as smoke in other arenas -- just generated above the nose &  create a puff effect by alternating smoke off and on):D

My squadee had an idea of internal cockpit smoke (same effect as ground vehicle smoke).  Also, suggested flames in internal cockpit after engine quits.:cool:

Do you agree that current damage sprite is in need of an update?:(  
Please, post any suggestions.:aok

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 11:30:54 AM »
Aye, yes.

I'd like fluctuating engines due to damage.

I was playing IL2 for a short while (can't handle that game, the controls and flight model just boggle my mind). Anyway, i took a hit from an Il2 in a 109 and took some engine damage.

Subsequently the engine power out-put systematically reduce and the engine coughed, spluttered and fluctuated.

This was a cool effect.

Maybe just have a new 'skin' for the oil slick? I'm sure that can be changed somehow.

Then we could just skin it and submit it
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
Re: Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »
Originally posted by Chilli
Tired of seeing black spider web on winshield in fights?:furious  

Your not supposed to like it. I would rather have that than white steam and dirtywater all over the place.  :D
325th Checkertails

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 02:12:05 PM »
Originally posted by Kuhn
Your not supposed to like it. I would rather have that than white steam and dirtywater all over the place.  :D

Hmmm,  let me put it this way.  Look at every other aspect of detail in this game.    Even the damaged ground vehicles and ground strikes are more exciting to look at.   But, wouldn't dirty water, spring water, or even holy water, be an improvement over the old and rather stationary peek-a-boo black silly string stuck to your cockpit?  :rolleyes:

I do respect your opinion Kuhn, and whether or not I agree, I wish to ask you once more.  

Are you happy with permanent zebra stripes on your cockpit?

If not, what would you like to see instead? :noid

_____________________________ _

Personal opinion:  (whispers.......  I think Kuhn has worn his black face camouflague too long .... and leaves oily streaks all over everything,  and that's how he likes it) :lol

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 02:26:10 PM »
Having engine oil smeared across the windscreen was a hazard of aerial combat in WWII.

Can't see changing it.  Maybe ADDING additional effects, loss of engine power, surging, and such, but can't see changing the existing effect.

If it bothers you THAT much, learn to fly the P-38.  No oily windscreens in that plane.  Or.... learn not to get shot up and avoid HO passes.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 02:54:23 PM »
i would like the engine separate from the plane, lol. then we go into a stall and drop to the ground. or it would just explode, the engine, and u get a pilot wound. and YES, i hate those black spider webs.
Also, the oil come from the engine, but we see oil in the back too. or is it oil placed AROUND the canopy and engine?

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Thanks Ted
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
Yup, no doubt oil went everywhere, messed up your vision, but how often do they change the oil in AH?   Although a hazard, was it the consistency of superglue and the color of crude?  Or was it maybe a lil more translucent?  From conversations that I have had in the MA, it occurs very easily in 109s, and I would guess also Mustangs.  Any dual engine plane avoids this the same as P38.  

I don't get it?  What is the objection to adding a lil smoke (imo much more interesting and also visually accurate --- oil wouldn't just sit there in one spot --- would stream in the way that currently modeled smoke would). :confused:

Given the 2 choices,  would u rather see a picture of Michael Jordan's last  dunk or watch the replay? :p  

By the way I could also just turn the gamma up and zoom in between the stripes also, if that were my only objection to it.:cool:

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 03:58:44 PM »
However bad you think it is in AH, it's definitely toned down.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 04:01:31 PM »
Yep, there's countless photos like the one Pyro just posted, on lots of aircraft. I've seen a P51 that's even worse (belly landed, oil all over the place, even out onto the wings).

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Realism
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 05:38:13 PM »
You should put a kettle of boiling water and another of oil on your desk and have an atomizer spray you in the face when you take an engine hit.

:)
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 05:49:25 PM »
Hmmm,  let me put it this way.  Look at every other aspect of detail in this game.    Even the damaged ground vehicles and ground strikes are more exciting to look at.   But, wouldn't dirty water, spring water, or even holy water, be an improvement over the old and rather stationary peek-a-boo black silly string stuck to your cockpit?  

Are you happy with permanent zebra stripes on your cockpit?

If not, what would you like to see instead? :noid

I suppose the graphics could be bumped up so that that the oily mess over your windscreen could have some motion..... but in that case, there would probably also be accumulation over time as more oil was forced out of the engine, out of the engine compartment, into the slipstream, and onto the window (and rest of the plane).

Steam and such from the radiator would typically "go low" as they were usually mounted low and airflow over the radiator existed the plane on the underside.

Engine misfires, power loss, and such would be nice additions to battle damage (so would limited ability to fight some engine fires), but I see not reason or need to get ride of the current oil effect.  

It's a pain when stuck in the middle of a fight or trying to land or ditch.  It's supposed to be inconvenient when your motor pukes oil all over the rest of the plane.   If I were to add anything to the effect, it would be the ability to open up the cockpit, in planes that would allow that in-flight, so I could look out of the side a bit better.  

And so far, at least the pilots in the game can't catch fire.  Wounded yes, but I've yet to see a cockpit fire.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 06:42:46 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro
However bad you think it is in AH, it's definitely toned down.

I want this kind of oil leak (perhaps randomized- some oil hits minor, look like they do now, others worse, looking like the pic?), and smoke, and fire, and reduced engine power, and I also want the pilot to slowly roast alive. I want pain and suffering and damage of a magnitude we've not yet seen in AH.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 06:44:43 PM »
I think many would like some progressive effect. Remember back in SWOTL where an oil hit would speckle and then gradually cover more and more?  That and some variety sure would be nice.  What we have now is a significant improvement over AH1 but all in all its a bit limited.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
Re: Re: Re: Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 08:05:52 PM »
But, wouldn't dirty water, spring water, or even holy water

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Holy water, uisge Beatha. mmmmmmmmmmm. Whisky mmmmmmmmmm
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 08:20:38 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
...and I also want the pilot to slowly roast alive. I want pain and suffering and damage of a magnitude we've not yet seen in AH.
so you want to be nopoop :D :rofl
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.