Author Topic: Additional Ki-84 Training (request)  (Read 541 times)

Offline Karash

• Copper Member
Additional Ki-84 Training (request)
« on: March 21, 2007, 03:53:34 PM »
Hello All,

I would like to work with someone in regards to the Ki-84 in 1v1 situations.  Seems like I can typically hang ok in low intensity engagements with several planes on both sides, but I am having a hard time against anyone 1v1 that knows their stuff.  I am assuming my merging skill is the main problem coupled with my inability to predict what my enemy is going to do in the first 10 seconds of the fight.

Any takers?

-Karash

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 04:00:36 PM »
check out the trainers web page  or request training here  and you'll have an appointment in no time.

Also come into the training area most nights.  There are a lot of people who will be more than willing to help you.

Good Luck :aok
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Karash

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 04:01:03 PM »
Thanks will do.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 06:15:59 PM »
It is good that you can analyze what you are doing right and wrong.  It seems that it is not specifically Ki-84 training that you need, but general advanced maneuver training.  If you aren't a subscriber, send me a private message.  If you are, then ignore me; there are far, far better teachers out there (and better pilots, too).

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:55:04 AM »
I can tell you one thing for sure, They fall appart in a steep dive, ask me how I know.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 07:00:09 AM »
I'm not flying right now but I can give you some advice. Don't wait for the enemy to do something... you attack. The KI likes to be slow. Let's say against a spit16, until you can drop flaps the spitty has the edge. Once you get the fight slow enough to pop flaps things even out and you actually gain an advantage.

Don't be afraid to push the airplane. Go to the TA, "fight" anyone and push your plane until you lawn dart it. After that, do it again. Repetition is the key. As you get use to riding and exceeding the envelope you'll be able to get a lot more out of your aircraft.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 07:02:06 AM »
I spend about half my time in the TA (callsign Dichodog) if you see me in there and you're not with a trainer feel free to holler at me and I'll fly with you
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Karash

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 12:03:20 PM »
Hammer replied to my request, but no date has been set yet.

As far as the Ki-84 goes, its my primary bird...so I definately know it falls apart in a steep dive.  I have learned to keep it around 425mph IAS in dives and have to use elevator trim to pull out on my prey.  Benny is right that I need help with ACMs more than anything, but applicable to the Ki-84 as far as training goes.

Spiral climbs with flaps on are really fun with the Frank if you have a Co-E spity trying to get a kill shot.  It is a shame you cant deploy them at 200mph.

The main problem I seem to be running into is when I merge from a Head On or close proximity to that, I will try to Immel, or do some sort of Hi Yo Yo to try and come around on my bogey, but if the pilot has any clue of what he is doing it seems he is already on my six!  I seriously am having a hard time understanding how the vets reverse the planes so quickly.

Thanks for all the responses guys...I am here to learn. :)

Offline TheThang

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 02:10:32 PM »
I don't know how to explain this type of this, I'd much rather show you. I'm almost alwasy in the TA under the handle HellFire, if you don't ever seem to catch me try PMing me on the forums here. Anybody that knows me knows I can fly relatively well.

On a side note I will try explaining. When you emil try and cut your throttle, it will make your turn radius a bit tighter (not faster) and thus making you turn inside of whatever you may be fighting, excluding things like the hurri and the zero, and will typically give you an edge. Try to use throttle management for all your turns in the ki84, the plane by nature has a bad turning radius but great turning speed thus you will always be screwing with your throttle and flaps. If someone is on your 6 I reccomend you never keep your plane moving in the same pattern for more than 2 seconds, always switch your direction and be evasive as to not be blown out of the sky.  typically I would reccomend cutting your throttle and doing a very sharp barrel roll then throttle up when they get in front of you to blast them away.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 02:13:33 PM »
Make sure stall limiter is OFF!
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 03:53:21 PM »
It rolls pretty good . Alot of times I scissors instead of just trying to out turn a con .

Right throttle work is a must .

I did learn this tip if you use combat trim like I do . Turn it off when your diving , as you speed up with it on your trim makes it even harder to pull up . I turn off now and then hit it back on again to shoot etc .

A nice way to slow down faster is to skid also , if I have to I skid toward the direction of my turn till I get to speed to drop flaps .

I rope alot too , it climbs pretty ok .

I also moved my pov in front view back some and zoom up for shooting etc .

Nice perk getter Ki84 .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 12:17:07 AM »
Throttle work and flaps (and getting the fight to a speed where you can use them) are two of the most important parts of the Ki-84 beyond learning ACM.
Army of Muppets

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 01:32:42 AM »
Ki 84s is basically an oversized Ki-43 and it's pretty tough for a Japanese plane.  This plane had good airframe but the skin would rip @ high speed dive:(

Offline Karash

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 12:45:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys...I will definately work on my throttle more.

I dont use CT or the Stall Limiter when I fly (just to clarify)