Author Topic: HTC didnīt tell us...  (Read 610 times)

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
HTC didnīt tell us...
« on: March 29, 2007, 05:04:24 PM »
...that they have started the production of titanium-M8īs
:D
Nowadays it seems to insist 3 hits with the cannon of Tiger to kill a M8.

Take a look, short film

WOHOO!!!

What could have happened if that M8 had hit me...even once....

Scary...:rolleyes:
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
HTC didnīt tell us...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 12:41:22 PM »
You can do this yourself but I went ahead and looked at all your hits in detail.  The tone of your post is especially unnecessary given the content of your film.  

First shot took out the AA gun.

Second shot took out middle tire on right side.

Third shot took out right front tire and just skirted bottom of vehicle.  This was probably within an inch of getting a kill.

Another view of third shot.

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
HTC didnīt tell us...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 04:14:18 PM »
Pyro...
I reconstructed from that short film your screenshots from my point of view.
Here You are:

The 1st hit:

A massive hit in turret...

The 2nd hit:

A direct hit in the middle tire...

BTW, which kind of a graphics-pack You have??? Those hits and sprites look pretty different with mine....

___

Back to basics...the story of hitting just the AA-MG with 1st hit  without any further damage is...ummm...maybe  credible...just likely not really believable. Ok, Ok...

Another story of hitting the same vehicle few seconds later in to middle tire without blowing the whole vehicle upside down is no more plausible.

Pyro!!! Cīmon...

88mm AP-shell of Tiger is really a devastating one!!! One aa-gun or rubber tire of M8 cannot dampen that explosion and damage.

P.S. I have to apologize my possible "not-so-well-understood DIY-sarcasm..." and too provoking comments...
I really donīt mean to insult anybody. If someone feels to be insulted or hurted by my stupid comments , this is my honest apologize to him/her/to all.

Iīm sorry!
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
HTC didnīt tell us...
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 07:16:12 PM »
Zuum, it's doubtful Pyro would take the time to answer like he did unless his hit sprites/tracers showed the correct impacts/ballistics.
It's probably safe to assume they have tools specialized to handle fishy film queries like this one, which is probably why his screenshots look like that.

Shooting soft GVs is a lot easier if you use HE to damage the pilot with the splash damage.

I once asked HT if light GVs oughta recoil from an AP hit, which he replied would require some number crunching to know for sure.. he never answered after that, and it was never modeled. So either it should happen but is not feasible, or it is negligible.
75+mm HE rounds landing at the feet of a light GV, though.. that should have an effect on the target GV's trajectory.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
HTC didnīt tell us...
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 04:05:46 AM »
Originally posted by Zuum
...88mm AP-shell of Tiger is really a devastating one!!! One aa-gun or rubber tire of M8 cannot dampen that explosion and damage....
Zuum, you're are correct the 88mm AP shell is a devastating one. That is WHEN it ENTERS it's target.

AP projectiles of this period used a bursting charge of about 1-3% of the weight of the complete projectile, the bursting charge is detonated by a rear mounted delay fuse. The delay fuse ensured the projectile was inside of it's target before the busting charge was detonated.

At any range but especially at close range, the small items you hit (tires and a gun) would not have activated the delay fuse in time to explode the bursting charge on the target. This is due to the speed of the projectile and the relatively small target hit. Remember these were designed to penetrate armor, not a tire, or rim of a tire, or the sheet metal of an unarmored vehicle.

Now with that said, have you ever noticed a delay between hitting a tank with an AP round and when it explodes? This usually isn't lag, it's the time delay for the round to explode. And it usually happens when you hit in a less armored section of the tank. Why? Because the shell penetrates faster and the delay is more pronounced because of that. Penetrate an area with more armor and the explosion seems to be immediate.

Anyway I hear this a lot with people trying to kill M3s, M16s, etc with AP. Hit one of these with AP and you will usually get nothing but a big hole in the sheet metal (which is not modeled in the graphics). Why? Because the impact was not enough to activate the fuse.

I hope that this helps you understand the perceived problem that really isn't a problem.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:41:44 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
HTC didnīt tell us...
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 10:24:18 AM »
Use HE, not AP, against thin skinned vehicles for this reason.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
HTC didnīt tell us...
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Zuum
BTW, which kind of a graphics-pack You have??? Those hits and sprites look pretty different with mine....

Use 0.04 time modifier when round comes close to target and you will see where it actually hit.
Like Pyro said, first round hardly ever scratch turret's paint, it pass right through pintle gun.

Hit sprite is just a sprite, it dont shows much.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
HTC didnīt tell us...
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 02:29:10 AM »
This is exactly the reason why the hit sprites and impact depictions have to be updated.

The mushy, blurry, white glob of a low-resolution hit sprite in Zuum's picture was in use since first AH, and aside from some plane models one of the most ancient aspects of Aces High.

We need impact depictions of better quality - one that uses separate graphics to portray AP round 'giving off a spark upon impact' for planes, for GVs, and for other objects.