Author Topic: I have a situation.....  (Read 899 times)

Offline -CodyC

• Copper Member
I have a situation.....
« on: March 30, 2007, 12:25:19 PM »
Heh, well i was trying to plug in my scanner and touched one of the screws on my tower.  Well i was suprised to get a jolt of electricity through my finger.  So obviously my computer has a short somewhere, any ideas about where i should start looking?  I've never noticed this before.

lwcody

EDIT:  So i unplugged power cord to tower and it was still giving off a pretty good shock.  Then i unplugged each cord 1 by 1.  Found out it was the video cable causing the shock.  So i was about to put another monitor on it when i plugged the power supply back into the tower and got the ***** shocked outta me.  So it is both the monitor and power supply causing a short.  Both of which are plugged into a very expensive surge protector.  Is it possible there is a short in the surge protector?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 12:32:35 PM by -CodyC »

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
I have a situation.....
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:42:05 PM »
I might also have a bad ground in the circuit somewhere or in the surge protector.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
I have a situation.....
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 08:52:45 AM »
Check the wall outlet too. It may be wired backwards. The "short" slot is the hot/powered slot. If it is wired where the hot leg is screwed onto the "silvered" screw it will work, but you stuff will have a voltage potential to any ground connection giving you the shocks. In most cases "black" is the "live" wire and should be attached to the "brass" colored screw.

Offline Nemeth

• Nickel Member
      • http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com/intro.html
I have a situation.....
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 09:05:42 PM »
well, unplug the surge protector, and plug (preferably 1 at a time to make sure) the comp/ monitor into the wall  outlet, if u still get a shock from either one you'll have to buy a new PSU or Monitor, if it doesnt you have your problem (im talking bout the surge protector of course)
If it is the sure protector, take it back to the store or if its out of the 30-90 day warrenty, send it back to the company that makes it.
Also check your MoBo o see if any caps have blow, the extra unwanted electricty can do damage to the rest of your comp,
Also if it is the surge protector and any of your hardware is broken (possibly because of the extra electricty) send the company a letter/email and they'll probably replace it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:13:24 PM by Nemeth »

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
I have a situation.....
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 05:41:10 AM »
Originally posted by Nemeth
Also check your MoBo o see if any caps have blow, the extra unwanted electricty can do damage to the rest of your comp,

Capacitors do not resist electricity, resistors resist electricity. Capacitors store electricity and can be used to raise voltage/amperage for short periods of time. They can also be used as a filter to "clean" voltage and maintain frequency.

Offline Nemeth

• Nickel Member
      • http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com/intro.html
I have a situation.....
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 08:40:56 AM »
well anything could happen so he might as well check it to be safe

Offline -CodyC

• Copper Member
I have a situation.....
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 12:37:29 PM »
I've concluded that it is the wiring in this house.  I never noticed it before but on my surge protector it has different indicators, one says "Problem with Building Wiring" so to check this i hooked the tower and monitor up to a new surge protector.  I did one at a time and each time there was a shock.  I touched the video cord from the monitor and anywhere on the tower.  I noticed, however, that it isn't shocking me now.  The only difference between now and then was that we were in the middle of a series of storms that lasted a couple days.  The light on the surge protector still indicates that there is a problem with building wiring.  

If there is in fact a short somewhere in the electricity, im wondering if the extra heat generated by the short could be increasing the temperature of every part of my computer, including the video card, and this might be what causes my computer to spontaneously reboot and different times.

Either way if it is the wiring in the house, which i fairly positive it is, ill have to live with it becase landlords are cheap and mine is the worst i've ever had.

lwcody

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
I have a situation.....
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 06:10:54 PM »
Originally posted by Nemeth
well anything could happen so he might as well check it to be safe

I agree wholeheartedly.

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
I have a situation.....
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 06:52:18 PM »
Originally posted by TexInVa
Capacitors do not resist electricity, resistors resist electricity. Capacitors store electricity and can be used to raise voltage/amperage for short periods of time. They can also be used as a filter to "clean" voltage and maintain frequency.

The  Flux Capicitors turn garbage into nuclear power.

Balsy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
I have a situation.....
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 11:24:29 PM »
No, "Mr. Fusion" turns ordinary garbage into fissible materials to run the reactor which provides 1.21 jigawatts to power the flux capacitor. :rolleyes:

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
I have a situation.....
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 05:26:05 AM »
Originally posted by Balsy
The  Flux Capicitors turn garbage into nuclear power.

Balsy

No, the flux capacitor stores nuclear power for me to power my cpu and video card on my computer. Capacitors do not make power.

Krusty's "Mr. Fusion"™ is what makes nuclear power from garbage.

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
I have a situation.....
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 02:57:38 PM »
Originally posted by -CodyC
I've concluded that it is the wiring in this house.  I never noticed it before but on my surge protector it has different indicators, one says "Problem with Building Wiring" The light on the surge protector still indicates that there is a problem with building wiring.  

Either way if it is the wiring in the house, which i fairly positive it is, ill have to live with it becase landlords are cheap and mine is the worst i've ever had.

lwcody

You can call your local fire inspector and/or housing inspector.  Defective wiring can cause fires and you can bet the fire inspector and/or housing inspector will make your landlord fix the problem.