Author Topic: Air to air rockets  (Read 2233 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 03:36:33 PM »
I used to carry them alot.
Never did get any good with em.
I got exactly 1 kill with them on a 109 once.

I have managed to startle the hell out of a few people with em though
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 03:43:37 PM »
I have posted my problems with the a2a rockets here before.  I haven't been able to hit anything with them since the change they made to them a LONG time ago.  Before that I got at least 1 kill for every 4 rockets I used, including using them against other fighters. All I have managed to do with them since then is to wake up the pilot so he could jump to tail gun.

If anyone has a picture series or film of a successful attack made since this change, I'd really love to see it.  I have tried shooting anywhere from 1.5K up to 800 yards.  Even 1.5K is within a good gunners range at high altitude and 800 yards is suicidal attacking from 6 o'clock.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
Can't remember who it was, but a couple years ago -- maybe right after AH2 -- a vet killed 2 of my 3 buffs from >1k, using 5" rockets from a P-38L.

The damage was so catastrophic I never knew I was being hit. The bombers just disappeared.

I PM'd congrats, and asked how he did it. He said he'd worked on it a while (because B26 tail guns scared him :lol ), and would line things up then salvo a series as he pitched up a bit. He had already used some rockets or I wouldnt have anything to fly home in!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 04:05:18 PM »
simaril,

i have done that before, usually when a 5" hits it takes the whole formation.  sadly i had better luck with 5" HVARS than the rockets that were intended for the purpose.  HVARS also have better ballistics and range.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2007, 05:00:09 PM »
Originally posted by BiPoLaR
does it make you feel like a man to prove a person wrong...ppl its ok...educate the man on it dont bash him

Yes it does. If you want to say something stupid like some of the stuff he's said and have no proof to back it up I will beat you down like your BK:p

You wanna see what happens when you dont yell at them and try to be nice. all those AA guys have to do is do a google search and find any info they want. If you told them the sky is blue they'll say its red.

Click Here
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 05:02:52 PM by Larry »
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Air to air rockets
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2007, 05:29:37 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
Iv seen them take out all three bombers with one hit.

Yeap, you can get the tail of the elad bomber and the wings/wingtips of the drones.  Gotten it a few times and is pretty funny to watch.

The WGr 21 rockets on german planes are meant for air-to-air use. They explode in an air-burst of shrapnel after a set delay, meant to damage or destroy aircraft that they are near. If they hit the plane directly (before exploding) the explosion is much greater.

The explosion is great because you have to ad the plane into the equation... not the rocket alone.
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline AX_00

• Zinc Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2007, 05:45:17 PM »
yeah i ran out of ammo once in my 38 and i busted up a bomber group w/ rockets as a last resort. it was cool, i got one or 2?

Offline devild0g

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2007, 06:13:44 PM »
I use the 12 rocket series on the 109 i think it is it has 12 rockets and set salvo to 12 and just dive on main bomber hit b and watch them all hit the top an usually they hit drones, same with planes that have the 10 red tipped ones, dayam those own when they hit, I hit one drone as i swept from the front and it nocked out the leaders whole wing rofl i got drone in cockpit. That was fun, and it isnt hard to kill pple when they r in bombers..... dont be a dweeb stay above them. It is alot harder for them to shoot with the top gun and it is alot easier for you not to miss them

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2007, 07:20:05 PM »
I have had problems hitting the ground with rockets of any sort!:furious
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2007, 11:45:10 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
This rates up there with the noob on Help channel asking how to get a "Lock On" with the rockets against another plane.

Alt+F4 for missle LOCK

Offline AAolds

• Nickel Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2007, 10:42:46 AM »
I was stating that guided missiles were not fully developed until the 50's , not rockets.  I should have clarified that.  Some of you people (Larry maybe) need to get lives, so dang touchy and a generally hostile undertone.  AH anyone.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 10:46:15 AM by AAolds »
The AArch AAngelz is its own country, we owe loyalty only unto ourselves and those we fly with at the moment.---AAolds AArch AAngelz XO.

I love to GV and do Jabo missions vs GVs, get used to it.  Being good at one helps in the other.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2007, 04:37:51 PM »
Originally posted by AAolds
Some of you people (Larry maybe) need to get lives, so dang touchy and a generally hostile undertone.

Funny that he makes a statement to stop exactly what the statement is itself. Oh well, carry on.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2007, 07:06:42 PM »
Originally posted by AAolds
I was stating that guided missiles were not fully developed until the 50's , not rockets.  I should have clarified that.  Some of you people (Larry maybe) need to get lives, so dang touchy and a generally hostile undertone.  AH anyone.

I have a life. Mabey you should by a book about WW2 or even learn one thing about it before running your mouth off like you know something. Then when someone prooves you wrong you try to "rephrase" what you said. The germans were biulding and testing missiles A2A, A2G, G2A, and G2G. Some were tested and some saw combat. Im so touchy because you say stuff that is complety stupid and wrong and worst off when you try to say something you dont back it up. "guided missiles" were being used and tested by germans in WW2 they might not have been heat seaking or radar guided like todays missiles are, but they were wire guided and flown by joystick into thier targets others were just flown onto thier targets by eye but noless they werew "guided".
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2007, 08:27:15 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
I have a life. Mabey you should by a book about WW2 or even learn one thing about it before running your mouth off like you know something. Then when someone prooves you wrong you try to "rephrase" what you said. The germans were biulding and testing missiles A2A, A2G, G2A, and G2G. Some were tested and some saw combat. Im so touchy because you say stuff that is complety stupid and wrong and worst off when you try to say something you dont back it up. "guided missiles" were being used and tested by germans in WW2 they might not have been heat seaking or radar guided like todays missiles are, but they were wire guided and flown by joystick into thier targets others were just flown onto thier targets by eye but noless they werew "guided".

AAOLDS- 1st rule of this BBs--Everyone but you is a Aeronautical engineer that have unlimited experience in front of a monitor so tread lightly Bro

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Air to air rockets
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2007, 09:48:37 PM »
Originally posted by Sweet2th
AAOLDS- 1st rule of this BBs--Everyone but you is a Aeronautical engineer that have unlimited experience in front of a monitor so tread lightly Bro

#2 dont try to be smarter the me because I r t3h l33t!!!!!!1!:p
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner