Author Topic: Pet Peeve - Alt-F4 - Just Knock It Off  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Re: Pet Peeve - Alt-F4 - Just Knock It Off
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2007, 06:00:51 PM »
Originally posted by Easyscor
I agree with rauchen/Shmoken and others who've come down against the Alt+F4 slap.

Soulyss, it was funny when you guys were teenagers but you're more mature now and like many things in life, it's a good idea to revisit things as your viewpoint changes. What if it were your dad, granddad or uncle playing for the first time and you weren't there at his shoulder guiding him through it. This game is only another game, made fun by the people in it and if your teammates act like a bunch of jerks there's no reason to come back after being dumped to the desktop.  Not everyone attracted to a flight sim has played in the rough and tumble world of FPS and they judge games by a different set of standards.

The bottom line is the new player should take the time to read the manual on how to play the game.  It really is that simple.  Again, why should people take time to answer some new player's questions that the new player could have found out himself if he took the time to read the manual?  I understand if the question is of the sort that the manual doesn't answer, such as things like "how do I reverse on a bogie on my 6" but with general game play questions, you'll get the alt+F4 from me.

RTFM!

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
Pet Peeve - Alt-F4 - Just Knock It Off
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2007, 06:41:05 PM »
Its funny. Back in the day, and i mean way back, folks werent so self centered as to not help new players. Moreso, they werent malicious enough to go even further by not only not helping new folks, they actually expended the energy (which could have been used to help out) to prank someone...then feel big and crow about it.

Glad everyone's not like that.
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2007, 07:23:58 PM »
Originally posted by blkmgc
Its funny. Back in the day, and i mean way back, folks werent so self centered as to not help new players. Moreso, they werent malicious enough to go even further by not only not helping new folks, they actually expended the energy (which could have been used to help out) to prank someone...then feel big and crow about it.

Agreed.  This sounds like the pull-his-pants-down sort of prank.

- oldman

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2007, 07:50:33 PM »
Originally posted by blkmgc

I remember the ALT-F4 trick in Air Warrior in '93ish, and it was probably not new then. When it was done to me then, I laughed my ****ing bellybutton off.

If someone's psyche is so fragile that a dumb prank like ALT-F4 turns them away, I doubt they would have made it in this game long term anyway.

Offline 68BRAGG

• Zinc Member
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2007, 11:33:14 PM »
Remember the old *iwanttodie command?

I remember this command, once did it when i was goin thru a bad divorce and was flying squad night with two of my cousins..... they both imeadiatly called me to see what was the matter....... try explaining that to your family....... LOL !!:huh

Offline Emu

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2007, 02:25:43 AM »
Originally posted by BBBB
Wow, your smoothness and tact is awe inspiring. I can see why you are in the AH TC. You represent the corps so well. :aok

-Sp0t

Nice red herring.

Offline shegotya

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2007, 06:13:07 AM »
Guess from some of your postings ... I would be childish!!

There are about four of us in our squad who live close ... we got a new friend in our squad recently and we have used the alt f4 on him ... LMAO

I personally was lucky with having a squad right when I converted from wife ack to Aces High Princess ... I knew all about alt f4!!

It will never go away ... life is too short ... have fun with it!!

Michelle
*SGY

:noid

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2007, 06:53:38 AM »
I was "hazed" by the alt-f-4 thing....I had never owned a computer,...i truely didnt know wtf for about 3 days... after about 25 times of getting booted, it dawned on me, hmmm it only happens when i use alt f-4 supercharger.... hmmm, they didnt call me "lightning" at work for nothing, I got over it, as I got over, "go to the maintence bay, ...and get a can of squelch grease",, for the radios, were goin to the field.....I got over it...these things are never gonna end :) yes deep down im a analtube :) :huh
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2007, 07:43:27 AM »
Boy, ppl upset about the lamest things. Alt F-4 is a traditional part of the "learning curve" of the game. When I first started, I was told the "alt f4" for something( can't remember which choice), so of course I did it. When I ctd'd, I thought I did alt f4 wrong, or missequenced, so I proceeded to log back in, ask someone, alt f4'd again lmao!
I also fell for the "Don't bail below 10k for safety" bit.
Can't figure why someone would get upset, true it's a silly prank, but when silly pranks aren't funny anymore, then you are an old, miserable, cranky person. Not only in age, but in mind and spirit. Maybe ppl who get upset about something as small as an alt f4 joke, seek anger management counseling, and get your heart checked. You are prolly overstressing your heart, not to mention elevating blood pressure. This is a "GAME" If it's not fun to you by all means, find something that is, and.....STFU:cry
(Just kidding):)

Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2007, 08:44:41 AM »
If someone asks a question and takes the time to use good grammar and spelling, then I will take the time to give him an honest answer.

But yet if someone talks like they are mentally retarded and types something like

how do u fite
wut do i do
i want to gun 4 sumone

or other retarded spewing that gets repeated on country text 10 times, I will go out of my way to aggrivate them.

The worst of them all are noobs that will ask to be someone's gunner a half dozen times in 30 seconds. I will purposely tell them that I need one just so they are stuck in my aircraft (fighter, goon, etc) and cant do a dang thing until I die/auger/land etc.

"OMG I cant gun"
*yep*
"you triked me"
*yep*
"how do i get out"
*ALT+F4* or *you cant, you are there until i land or die*
"were are u going"
*for a long 3 hour ride*

I pulled the ALT+F4 prank on someone, I think he was asking how to drop bombs. A few minutes later he came back and said "that closed the game" and then proceded to be angry :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 08:47:21 AM by Meatwad »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline halcyon

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2007, 05:04:06 PM »
Here is the question you all have to ask yourself:

What are you getting out of it when you disrupt another's gameplay?

I wouldn't get anything out of possibly making someone (and usually a new player) close out their game when they maybe had their very first kill or maybe even 5 kills that they can't land now, because they're staring at their desktop.

I mean if this sorta thing makes you laugh then each to his own, just giving my own opinion on what I would and wouldn't find funny.
If I was a new player, and I had my very first aerial kill and then someone told me to press ALT F4 to lower my gear so I could land my kills, I sure as hell would not be laughing.
But hey, some people get their kicks out of that.

To me, it's just a childish, high schoolish prank that is very immature.
It'd be the same as pulling the power cord on your friend's Nintendo after they had already gotten through 40 levels of Ghouls 'n Goblins (a game which had no save option btw).

Oh and btw, I know it's just a game, but game or not you're providing your own entertainment and amusement off of someone else's misfortune and possible frustration.

My 2 cents.
Guess I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2007, 05:15:05 PM »
Originally posted by Mr No Name
Alt+F4 is a timeless classic.  I remember this answer being given out on the original BBS's when people would dial up with their lightning fast 2400 baud modems (Pre-public internet days)  So more than likely the guy dialing in to the BBS lived very close to you.

Anyone else remember paying to get on a local BBS?  Lotsa fun games back then too... I still have BBS server software, maybe I will dust off a 386 DOS machine i have laying around and refresh my memory at the common games and features on there.

Long live Alt+F4!

If you have LORD (Legend of the red dragon) that would be awesome if you would host a tourney. Lepaul used to run it on his boards, but then he got rid of his server and went for a public host type thing.

Offline uberhun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2007, 05:15:48 PM »
I just pulled the alt+f4 gag the other night # guy whinning about getting shot down and being vulched. I told him alt+f4 was the invincibility command for two weekers. It got a good chuckle, and a newb bent on revenge:t  All in good fun!

Offline Squibb

• Zinc Member
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2007, 06:20:33 PM »
If you actually thing someone quits Aces High because he gets Alt+f4 pranked, you need to wake up and smell the bacon.

I'd say newbs have a better chance of quitting AH2 because they can't fly, lose fights, get vulched, etc etc than they do from getting ALT+f4 pranked..

get pranked once shame on them, twice shame on you...

the joke's only good once

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2007, 07:03:54 PM »
Originally posted by TinmanX
You know, for most of what you've said, I agree. however let me tell you the tail.....

A very well known player in The Unforgiven was flying one night in a 262. I won't say his name but he is someone I consider a vet in as much as he should know better (we'll call him SpiceDeath for the sake of the story). Squad vox went something like this - and forgive me, I can't remember the perp's name.

SD: "What's the key to switch viz modes? I forgot"
Perp: "Alt + F4 aint it?"

Silence

I check the channel box

Me: "Oh for f**ks sake, he believed you!"

A couple of minutes later

SD: "You F&$&ers!"

Channel ceases being usefull for a good 10 minutes while we collapse in convulsive laughter.

While treating noobs to this old, old trick is indeed old, this was priceless.

LMAO, "SpiceDeath".....Classic!

:rofl
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.