Author Topic: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go  (Read 16323 times)

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Give the Man a Guiness!
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2007, 10:26:14 AM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I don't mind multiple arenas but I do see problems.  Here's some fixes I've suggested before that I think would be good for the game:

1.  Bring the big maps back to LW.

2.  Combine EW and MW into one arena, limit the MW plane-set and only allow small maps in the new combined arena.

3.  Reserve a spot in the arena for a player who is disco'd from that arena  for a limited time.

4.  Allow a player to enter any arena if his/her country is the smallest, regardless of cap.

5.  Allow a player to enter any arena that contains a majority of their squad members regardless of cap.

6.  Make ENY front specific rather than arena-wide.

7.  Bring "missing" maps back into rotation (i.e. Mindnao).

8.  Put different maps into rotation in each arena (with both big and small maps available there should be plenty to keep the map-sets different for different arenas).

9.  Bring back weekly map re-sets.

10.  Never allow the same map to be up in more than one arena at a time (or #8 would also solve this).

BRILLIANT!
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2007, 10:36:09 AM »
First, I have no real problem with how things are set-up, and don't have much of a problem finding something to do.

Second, Skuzzy has said that less than 1% of HTC customers visit the boards, and only 4% of those post, so everything here can be taken with a grain of salt.

But, I do have a few ideas that I think could increase the fun, or maybe take away some of the pain some of you suffer in the game.
[list=1]
  • Get rid of "rank", stats are ok, it give people something to strive for. If they are worried, or curious how they "stack up" with other let them do the research and compare for themselves. Ranking is too easily "gamed"
  • Stats/scores should be tied to arenas. Each of the arenas posse there own tactics and difficulties and the scores should reflect that. AvA fights are different than MA fights due to equipment. This would also cut back on the problem with milk runners. Would it stop it, no, but everyone could watch the milkrunners battle it out!
  • ENY is ok, but get it tied to the "zones" in the arenas. As a zone gets bigger numbers eny pulls the uber planes from the high numbered side in the area helping to slow the horde. Want to fly that uber plane, try another front!
  • Caps, 250 as a botton. That would help those across the pond. Maybe 250 isn't the right numbe, but HTC I'm sure knows what number would be good for that time of day. Also under caps, I think they should allow you to enter an arena that is at its cap if your willing to go to the LEAST populated country. You'd have to stay on that country for 12 hours, but you could fly and it would help even the sides in the arena.
  • Maps, I hope the fix the problems with the maps they have, including the big maps, and put them all in rotation. Also set it up so that when a map is to be put up, it checks the other arenas to see if its up in those, if it is, it just moves to the next map in the rotation. This way the same map couldn't be up in any other arena at the same time.
  • [/list=1]

Someone else said "I guess the customers always right thing doesn't work at HTC" well if they did it that way they'd have to change things back and forth every two minutes!! Nobody can make everybody happy all the time. As adults we all have to learn to compromise. Yes we can "suggest", but in the end HTC has to decide what good overall, not just for you, or for me.

One last thing, I'd love to see a list of exactly what HTC wants/needs in a MA map. Building a map is no easy task, and building one and having it rejected for something not mentioned would just take the wind out of any ones sails after going through all the trouble of designing one. I hope to try my hand at it one day, and would like to know where I stand before I get too deep into it.

Offline tatertot

• Nickel Member
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2007, 11:06:09 AM »
i would suggest you can only change side once a tour that would fix squaddies vulching each other.(ORIGANALY SAID I WASNT READING ALL THIS )(NOW SKIMMING THE TOP)

YOU GUYS MUST HAVE ALOT OF TIME ON YOUR HANDS OH watermelon BOSS HERE BYE
THE NAME TATERTOT IS NOT FROM MY FAV FOOD !!!!!!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2007, 11:14:25 AM »
Originally posted by Larry
You asked for ideas I gave you mine. Oh I forgot you only wanted ideas that agree with you. There is two sides to this Im sorry if you dont want to hear the other side. Be a man and stop acting like a little kid that isnt getting his way.
Amazing on how you "seem to be the smart one" and yet it takes you 3 posts in a row to get your point across, instead of a single post.     Par for the course though.

"Par for the course" would have been one post.   You got a Triple Bogey.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2007, 11:15:55 AM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I don't mind multiple arenas but I do see problems.  Here's some fixes I've suggested before that I think would be good for the game:

1.  Bring the big maps back to LW.

2.  Combine EW and MW into one arena, limit the MW plane-set and only allow small maps in the new combined arena.

3.  Reserve a spot in the arena for a player who is disco'd from that arena  for a limited time.

4.  Allow a player to enter any arena if his/her country is the smallest, regardless of cap.

5.  Allow a player to enter any arena that contains a majority of their squad members regardless of cap.

6.  Make ENY front specific rather than arena-wide.

7.  Bring "missing" maps back into rotation (i.e. Mindnao).

8.  Put different maps into rotation in each arena (with both big and small maps available there should be plenty to keep the map-sets different for different arenas).

9.  Bring back weekly map re-sets.

10.  Never allow the same map to be up in more than one arena at a time (or #8 would also solve this).
You pissed me off in another thread, but these ideas are excellent.   Good post Bald.  <>
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline JimBeam

• Copper Member
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2007, 11:16:37 AM »
lol
JimBeam 367th "Dynamite Gang"

"In my experience JimBeam never goes down easy" -wil3ur

Pilots...looking down on people since 1903

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2007, 11:33:11 AM »
Abolish combined ranking for all the arenas.

Good idea. I do not think we should remove the rank system altogether; some people enjoy flying for rank and they should be allowed their fun too. With rank limited to each arena though, a high rank wil be a bit more  "earned", at least as far as the MA goes.

Get rid of the split MA, period. I was told they split the MA to reduce the hordes.  IMHO, the hordes are more prevalent than ever.  Now the hordelings have two arenas to chose from for their hording.  If their numbers are low in one arena, they can switch arenas to carry on with their hordeling ways.

If the 2 LWA's must stay:

Allow a five minute re-log into an arena, regardless of cap.  This way, if someone  loses conn, they can log back in to the arena and rejoin  friends.

Never let a cap go below 250.  This way, the late nighters and euros will always be able to get into an arena that is populated by more than 35 people.

Make ENY even tougher/more agressive! The key here, make it zone specific.  I think this would really serve as one way to  reduce the hordes.

If CO's are allowed to declare a home arena, cause them  to log on to the side with the least amount players on it(if the difference is significant) when they enter the arena and make this the same for any squad members who log in afterwards. Squad members who are already logged in will tend to switch sides as well.(no, not all of them will but many will)

Just a quick thought off the top of my head: Adjust building hardness in towns.  A team that is badly outnumbered will have increased hardness of their buildings in town, making their bases harder to take.

Another one: Have the FH's and VH's of badly outnumbered teams be harder, come up quicker.  Sure this will cause some challenges for attacking teams but should the enemy really know exactly how much time a certain asset will be out of commission?

Still another one: Harden HQ and allow more effective repairs for the HQ of the badly outnumbered team.

A couple of others:

Allow each team to be able to boot a CV commander, much like the report button. Yes, this is not perfect as it could be subject to abuse but it would help a side avoid losing a cv to the selfishness/imcompetence of others.

Make CV's much harder!  Those cv battles are a source for great furballs that many people love. Speed up repair time for damaged cv guns.

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
Re: Re: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2007, 11:37:34 AM »
Originally posted by Kazaa
Bring back the old Main Arena !

sobs and realises it just aint gonna happen:cry

Offline JimBeam

• Copper Member
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2007, 11:53:01 AM »
me too oh well
P.S. empty your CP inbox hulse
JimBeam 367th "Dynamite Gang"

"In my experience JimBeam never goes down easy" -wil3ur

Pilots...looking down on people since 1903

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »
Few orbservations -

ENY to encourage side switching - Miserable total and utter failiure.
Perk multiplier to encourage side switching - as above

All other incentives to encourage side switching - Failed aslo.

Well if you can't get the gist of it now, theres no hope.

Split arenas - Too encopurage 'niceness' and get away from the slum single MA.

Well I can now to go to multiple slums, whats the difference?

Few suggestions -

1) Allow players to log into ANY arena irregardless of caps if you aren't trying to log onto the highest numbers country.
To prevent gaming of this, disable side switching once in the arena.

2) ENY values - make them actually mean something!!!!
A plane gets popular it's slapped with an ENY of 5.
We used to have one or two ENY 5 planes, look at how many we have now.
Base it's value on something meaningful rather than how much it's used.
I would expect/hope the Pony D will go from ENY 8 to ENY 5 now it's the most popular plane (for last 2 or 3 tours anyway).

What the value is based on? - I'm open to suggestions.

Caps - Hmmm, dodgy one.
There should be a reasonable lower limit on any arena before caps kick in, this would help out the non US players.

Fire away.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2007, 12:06:21 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Few orbservations -

Nope.

ENY is there to prevent one side of both having numbers AND flying the monster planes at the same time. It may not be perfect (and suerly never will be), but generally it does a fine job at that.

Nobody ever believed that people would even sides just because of ENY, so it cannot fail at that. As you said, it's only an encouragement - not the main goal.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2007, 12:06:29 PM »
"1) Allow players to log into ANY arena irregardless of caps if you aren't trying to log onto the highest numbers country.
To prevent gaming of this, disable side switching once in the arena."

Unless, of course, you want to switch to a lower populated country.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline chaingun

• Copper Member
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2007, 12:14:59 PM »
its true, i dont even fly w/ my squad anymore b/c of the arena bs, gotta fix this thing, vets are falling by the wayside, influx newbs etc, etc

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2007, 12:15:18 PM »
"ENY to encourage side switching - Miserable total and utter failiure.

Well if you can't get the gist of it now, theres no hope."

Key word here is "encourage" ... if people choose not to take advantage of the "encouragement" ... the failure lies totally in their camp ... not HTC's.

HT has given us the opportunities to help ourselves (encouragement), but as you can see, a vast majority have turned a blind eye to it.

The next progressive step above "encourage" is "force" ... is that what you want ?

If HT were to "force", if you think the wailing is defening now ... you ain't seen nothing yet.

Going back to what it was is not going to help, nor become a reality IMHO.

If it sucks now ... it sucked 10 time worse before the current suck ... again, YMMV.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2007, 12:17:09 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Few orbservations -

Well if you can't get the gist of it now, theres no hope.

Split arenas - Too encopurage 'niceness' and get away from the slum single MA.

Well I can now to go to multiple slums, whats the difference?

Few suggestions -

1) Allow players to log into ANY arena irregardless of caps if you aren't trying to log onto the highest numbers country.
To prevent gaming of this, disable side switching once in the arena.

2) ENY values - make them actually mean something!!!!
A plane gets popular it's slapped with an ENY of 5.
We used to have one or two ENY 5 planes, look at how many we have now.
Base it's value on something meaningful rather than how much it's used.
I would expect/hope the Pony D will go from ENY 8 to ENY 5 now it's the most popular plane (for last 2 or 3 tours anyway).

What the value is based on? - I'm open to suggestions.

Caps - Hmmm, dodgy one.
There should be a reasonable lower limit on any arena before caps kick in, this would help out the non US players.

Fire away.

i have been thinking similiar things a while now,

i think we need less arenas, 2 or 3, maybe merge LW and MW