Author Topic: TrackIR - Why do I suck even more, now that I have one?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline StuB

• Zinc Member
TrackIR - Why do I suck even more, now that I have one?
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:27:03 AM »
When I first got my TrackIR (TrackIR 4 with "TrackClipPro) I realized that it would take some time to get used to it and get it"dialed in".

I have now had it for about 2 months and I still can't seem to get it to work consistantly.  Consequently, compared to before I got the trackIR, my K/d, K/S and hit percentages have all gone to crap.

What's sad is that I only started flying AH 4 months ago (after a 5 year break from it).  I had hoped to be doing better, not worse, with the sort of SA improvement the TrackIR should give me.

Lately, I can't seem to get it to give me a straight up, or a up high right views without stuttering/freezing the view.  
What's REALLY frustrating is that sometimes it seems to be working sust fine but then, when I get into a fight, it starts acting up.

This has turned out to be more of a rant than a question, I know.....sorry.  The troublshooting guide for the TrackIR is less than extensive and I didn't find much on their web site to help either.  I'm just getting frustrated.

Last night I ended up just flying an IL2 .....since you can't see crap out of those things anyways....it didn't bother me and I had alot of fun.  :lol
"Facing up to 200 Russians eager to have a nibble at you, or even Spitfires, can be quite enjoyable...but curve in against 70 Boeing Fortresses and all your past sins flash before your eyes."

Major Hans "Fips" Philipp
Geschwaderkommodore, JG 1
206 Victories. KIA 8 October, 1943

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: TrackIR - Why do I suck even more, now that I have one?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:34:28 AM »
Originally posted by StuB

Lately, I can't seem to get it to give me a straight up, or a up high right views without stuttering/freezing the view.  

Your TIR unit is losing track of your reflectors. Check it in with help of the Heads & Tracking windows within the TIR software itself.
Either you are getting out of the cameras view, or there is some serious lighting problem. But if it worked fine for a long time and the problem just recently started, go and try to clean your reflectors with some warm water and a small amount of soap. Fixed the very same problem for me ;)

EDIT: Doh, just saw you are using that Track Clip.. so the cleaning tip may not apply, but you can stillt ry..
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 09:37:46 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/link850
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 09:43:06 AM »
Get a mouse like this

And just use mouse view. Set the fist button to move head postition up. And set the second one to move head position Foward. It works great for me. :aok

Its saved me money, cause i dident have to buy a TrackIR.

Also ive heard about "Freetrack" or something.  

It's free and it uses any webcam to to Track your head movements.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 09:44:23 AM »
Originally posted by ForrestS
Get a mouse like this

And just use mouse view. Set the fist button to move head postition up. And set the second one to move head position Foward. It works great for me. :aok

Its saved me money, cause i dident have to buy a TrackIR.

Also ive heard about "Freetrack" or something.  

It's free and it uses any webcam to to Track your head movements.

None of them gets even close to a TIR.

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/link850
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 09:48:32 AM »
The mouse is a alternative. It works great for me and i dont even have to turn my head.:O :aok

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 09:56:18 AM »
Use more agressives settings, I'll try to post mine when I'll be back at home

Offline StuB

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: TrackIR - Why do I suck even more, now that I have one?
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 11:07:57 AM »
I've only had it for 2 months now.

Basically, I started flying again about 4 months ago and my situational awareness was terrible.  I saw one of the TrackIR movies and said "WOOT! This will solve my SA problems".  Boy was I wrong!  And what sucks is that now if I try to fly without it I am totally lost and move my head around for no reason at all :lol

I guess what's frustrating the most is that one day I might have it set up perfectly.  Then I take the headset off to go get a beer,  take a whiz, whatever and when I come back and put the headset back on it's all screwed up again.  

I just don't know what to do about it.  I have the "camera" set about 36 + inches away and even when playing in a dark room it still acts up.

Originally posted by Lusche
Your TIR unit is losing track of your reflectors. Check it in with help of the Heads & Tracking windows within the TIR software itself.
Either you are getting out of the cameras view, or there is some serious lighting problem. But if it worked fine for a long time and the problem just recently started, go and try to clean your reflectors with some warm water and a small amount of soap. Fixed the very same problem for me ;)

EDIT: Doh, just saw you are using that Track Clip.. so the cleaning tip may not apply, but you can stillt ry..
"Facing up to 200 Russians eager to have a nibble at you, or even Spitfires, can be quite enjoyable...but curve in against 70 Boeing Fortresses and all your past sins flash before your eyes."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Re: Re: TrackIR - Why do I suck even more, now that I have one?
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 11:51:45 AM »

I guess what's frustrating the most is that one day I might have it set up perfectly.  Then I take the headset off to go get a beer,  take a whiz, whatever and when I come back and put the headset back on it's all screwed up again.  

I just don't know what to do about it.  I have the "camera" set about 36 + inches away and even when playing in a dark room it still acts up.

Excuse me if I do ask a very dumb question: You do recenter the TIR when after you are back, don't you?

If the TIR messes up, do alt-tab do get to desktop. There should be the TIR icon in your tray. Click on it to open the software, then open the "Tracking" and "heads" windows. You should be able to see now if there are any disturbing signals (=red noise/clutter) or you just don't get a signal from the reflector (green dots getting weak or moving just out of the window).
You may even post a screenshot for us to evaluate.

Second, Straffo hits right on point. It's all about setup. Apart from your technical problem, it just sounds to me as if you just haven't setup your TIR preferences properly. Aggressive is the word. It took me a few days intensive tweaking to get the most comfortable settings for me. I bet Straffo's settings will give you a good starting point for that.

Offline StuB

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: TrackIR - Why do I suck even more, now that I have one?
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 11:56:40 AM »
Yes, I do F12 to recenter it.  I have also done Alt-Tab to check for problems while in flight.  I have also tried various settings (aggressive/progressive, liniar, etc...) but I guess I just need to fiddle with it some more.

I really appreciate you guys trying to help me, thanks!

Originally posted by Lusche
Excuse me if I do ask a very dumb question: You do recenter the TIR when after you are back, don't you?

If the TIR messes up, do alt-tab do get to desktop. There should be the TIR icon in your tray. click on it to open the software, then open the "Tracking" and "heads" windows. You should be able to see now if there is any disturbing signals (=red noise/clutter) or you just don't get a signal from the reflector (green dots getting weak or moving just out of the window).
You may even post a screenshot for us to evaluate.

Second, Straffo hits right on point. It's all about setup. Apart from your technical problem, it just sounds to me as if you just haven't setup your TIR preferences properly. Aggressive is the word. It took me a few days intensive tweaking to get the most comfortable settings for me. I bet Straffo's settings will give you a good starting point for that.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 11:59:20 AM »
It's like Lusche says , your loseing sight of the three trackers .

I fixed mine like this , get the tracking window up and move around like you do in the game . You should never lose sight of the "three" green dots in the tracking window , if you do that's your problem sounds like to me .

I have the hat clip , not the not the ear thing . I had to bend the top reflector up away from the hat some , then it worked ok .

Just a side note . I still IMO believe that AH viewing system is better than Track IR for fighting . But that's just me , I tryed it and found I just use it in FS 2004 etc , not AH .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 12:52:11 PM »
Cut and paste this in a file (you can use notepad) with .xml as extension save this here : C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\TrackIR4\Profiles

you can find some profiles in this thread http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196483

AH fred
  Customized Aces High II
  1  1

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Yes, I do F12 to recenter it.  I have also done Alt-Tab to check for problems while in flight.  I have also tried various settings (aggressive/progressive, liniar, etc...) but I guess I just need to fiddle with it some more.

I really appreciate you guys trying to help me, thanks!

The only problem I have had with TIR is with unwanted reflected light.  Blackout shades solved all of that problem.  Other wise it works as advertisied.  I only use the hat clip thingy and a black baseball cap with no markings, just flat black.

I also have the unit on top of my monitor about 18 inches away.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 01:27:17 PM »
I'm sure you have checked this but just in case you have not.

The track clip requires that you have 4.029 software or later.
Open the trackir software, open your default profile or the one you use for AH, look under the motion tab and make sure that the "Trackclip Pro" button is selected.
If "dot" or "vector" is checked and you are trying to use the trackclip that could cause some issues.

I've had pretty good luck with TiR4 so far and wouldn't trade it.
For me personally it did improve my aim a bit when I went back and disabled the roll axis as I had a tendency to tilt my head which would throw off my aim.

Good luck,

"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 01:36:43 PM »
Originally posted by Skyfoxx
For me personally it did improve my aim a bit when I went back and disabled the roll axis as I had a tendency to tilt my head which would throw off my aim.

I have my roll axis enabled and do use it alot, I just gave it some more deadband.

My own hit % went up when I started to use TIR, but of course I can't really tell if TIR was the reason.

Offline StuB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 02:37:37 PM »
Thanks, I will try it when i get home tonight.

Also, I saw something about "FSautoatart" in another thread.  What is it and and where do I go to make sure it is enabled?

I'd look around in the game settings for it but I'm not home at the moment....

Originally posted by straffo
Cut and paste this in a file (you can use notepad) with .xml as extension save this here : C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\TrackIR4\Profiles

you can find some profiles in this thread http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196483