Author Topic: Bad Hurricane Season or No?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Bad Hurricane Season or No?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 07:33:05 AM »
Very true.. but the little miss pirate is not yet ready for a storm, but i guess we may find out :D She is starting to look the part tho. Last week we got her "crew" t-shirt printed so we are getting there.

Captain (me)
Boss (missus)
Crew (daughter)
Cook (dog)

We look awfully cute :)

storch

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 07:43:13 AM »
hurricane season officially (arbitrarily) begins every June 1 and ends every Dec 1.  I don't think nature listens to those weather people any more than it does to the global warming handwringers though.  the key to a successful hurricane season is preparation.  that means stoutly built homes with low profiles or a hip roof and protected windows, trimming trees back to reduce their profile, stocking up on food, fresh water supply, batteries, backup power plenty of fuel to run your generator(s) for an HTC two week period 24/7 and most of all cigars, cognac,whisky and beer.

there is nothing to fear from hurricanes if one takes a few common sense precautions.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 08:04:16 AM »
Originally posted by storch
there is nothing to fear from hurricanes if one takes a few common sense precautions. [/B]

Yeah...like not building your house in a hurricane-area.

People choosing to live in hurricane alley are about as smart as people building houses on flood-plains.

storch

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 08:10:22 AM »
that would mean vacating the entire caribbean basin, central america, the yucatan peninsula, the gulf coast of mexico and the united states, the eastern atlantic seaboard of the united states, the hawaiian islands and every island in the central pacific as well as the western pacific rim.

you may want to rethink that theory sir.

oops I forgot bermuda

I live in one of the areas with the highest probability for suffering hurricane damage.  I have lived in the hurricane zone my whole life with the exception of four years while serving my country in the US Navy.  I have been through countless hurricanes and I have yet to even lose a single roof shingle in any of the homes we have owned.  preparedness is the key as it is with any situation.  even the ravages of nature can be mitigated with proper planning and common sense precautions, furthermore hurricanes are by far the mildest of the natural forces.  where I was born the place was subject to seismic activity as well as hurricanes.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 08:19:04 AM by storch »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 08:28:37 AM »
Originally posted by McFarland
Global warming isn't gonig to happen all at once, and it will happen. Global warming doesn't mean storms every year, there will be quiet years. I firmly beleive in global warming, right here in Tennessee, we're in the biggest drought we've seen in a while. But I know global warming will occur. I have solid proof.

so do I

Its July and its warm

I experience global warming just about every year at this time :p
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 08:35:39 AM »
Originally posted by Hortlund
Yeah...like not building your house in a hurricane-area.

People choosing to live in hurricane alley are about as smart as people building houses on flood-plains.

No. NOBODY is more stupid then the people who build their homes on the flood plains.

Well thats not entirely accurate.
The government is for providing disaster releif funding every time this flooding occurs instead of requiring that all homes built on the flood plain be raised above the high water line by way of stilts the way some tribes in the world do.

Seems a simple concept

Drive I beams into the ground and build the homes on them 10-15 feet above the typical waterline.

Then when the floods come you dont worry about sandbagging everything. Just evacuate the area of all vehicles and let nature do what it does.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 09:03:42 AM »
Originally posted by McFarland
But I know global warming will occur. I have solid poop.

Fixed it for ya.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 09:12:40 AM »
Hortlund preaching etiquette.

Wow.

Maybe the rivers will turn to blood now.  Gotta see if dogs and cats are getting along now.  Rumor has it there's a 100 foot tall Stay Puft marshmallow man stomping thru NYC  :p

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 09:17:18 AM »
You have to admit tho that if all the kings scientists and all the kings men can't even predict if there will be more or less hurricanes this year than last....

that grandiose predictions of "man made global warming" and what it will do 100 years from now are pretty silly.

That.. the people who can't even put out or prevent a forest fire in tahoe are going to change the weather of the planet by passing laws and collecting taxes....

It all seems worse than the whackiest religion ever foisted on the people.

The same people who put leeches on you 100 years ago are telling you what the world will be like 100 years from now.

Do they ever get anything right?  have any of their long range predictions ever come true?

hell... not to mention what the weather will be like next week.

lazs

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 09:19:06 AM »
I'm too busy checking for near earth asteroids to worry about hurricanes.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 09:25:53 AM »
Climatologists and meteorologists predicted that the hurricane season of 2006 would be one of the worst on record, as a result of global warming.

Instead, it was one of the quietest on record, and these experts had enough egg on their faces to make omelettes for a year.

For 2007, the predictions are basically the same:  large numbers of powerful hurricanes.

Ah me.  We may be in the middle of global warming, but they still refuse to admit that weather and climate prediction is inexact and problematic.

Welp....better luck this year.  Oh, wait....us average folk don't really want death and destruction....do we?

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 09:53:18 AM »
Give it a chance.  Hurricane season is usually far more active toward the end than at the beginning although, like last year, things are looking pretty calm.  For once though, I'd just love to hear one of the bozos that blamed Katrina on global warming say "well, what can I say but I was wrong."

It's a fact that the earth is warming....it has been warming ever since the middle of the Little Ice Age.  When it's ready, the earth will start cooling again also.  The debate is man's contribution and the unfortunate fact that global warmingists have successfully equated global warming with "Man-made Global Warming".  That's a pretty good PR trick (although some would call it Propaganda).

Global warming and hurricanes aside I think we all need to start paying attention to the newest "evil mankind" story.   You wouldn't think something this foolish would gain traction but then.....never underestimate the lengths the followers of the Church of the Environment will go.

Human greed takes lion's share of solar energy
HUMANS are just one of the millions of species on Earth, but we use up almost a quarter of the sun's energy captured by plants - the most of any species. The human dominance of this natural resource is affecting other species, reducing the amount of energy available to them by almost 10 per cent, scientists report.  Researchers said the findings showed humans were using "a remarkable share" of the earth's plant productivity "to meet the needs and wants of one species".

I can see it now, Sunshine Offsets for Al Gore and of course, Sunshine taxes for those of us that live in Florida, and Save the Sun concerts held in underground caverns around the world.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 10:03:22 AM »
If you want to force building responsibly in hurricane area's do away with FEMA running in and rebuilding houses and force insurance companies to charge premiums that cover the risk.

I get tired of having my rates jacked by 25-40% up here in the midwest every time Florida gets hit with a hurricane because the industry does not have the stones to put up with all the crying from down south.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 10:18:39 AM »
The Earth will get REAL hot just before the Sun dies, in about five Billion years from now.

P.S.  Correction from million to billion.:D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 11:54:27 AM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 10:22:43 AM »
yep...  do away with fema.

I often wonder why trailer parks are in tornado country...  

here it floods in some places... we have people weeping when their house floods.. even tho there were ten high water marks on the stucco when they bought the place.

If you think you are at risk and care about replacing the property then buy insurance.

simple stuff.  No need for the government to get involved.  In fact.. they just make it worse and.. no one appreciates it in any case.

lazs