Author Topic: MA Terrains  (Read 11658 times)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
MA Terrains
« on: July 08, 2007, 01:13:12 PM »
I read a thread in the General Discussion forum asking what the requirements are for Main Arena Terrains so I'm going to try to help out with as much of that information as my old brain can remember.

In general here are the "rules" for the LW & MW arenas:

1) Balance
Balance refers to the number and type of bases, and the amount of terrain for each team.

Each team must have equal numbers of small, medium, and large airfields as well as equal numbers of GV bases, ports and CVs.

Terrain balance can be the hardest to attain. When there is a slight imbalance in terrain it can be overcome by modifying the distance between airfields and/or the distance from a base to it's town. Where there is a huge imbalance...start over.

2) Field Locations
There should be no more than one airfield per sector. No more than 25 miles apart. No closer than 3/4 of a sector.

A GV base or port, and an airfield may occupy the same sector.

3) Strat
A complete working strat system must be in place.

This means all factories, roads, trains, and barges must be in place and working.

4) No VOIDs
There should be no "void" object types on the terrain.

5) CVs
Every CV must have a map room associated with it.

Every CV must have a default route assigned to it.

6) No Custom Objects
No matter how much you like that hangar or airfield you made it can't be used in an MA terrain.

7) Airfield Altitudes
No airfield should be over 6k. I use 5k as max airfield altitude.

The simple reason for this is fully loaded Lancasters can't get off the ground above that altitude. They have trouble at 5 and 6k, so anything more just doesn't work.

8) Check Your Work
Use the tools built into the TE to check your terrain. Skuzzy won't fix a hundred errors for you.

Also, fly out of every base. Be sure bombers can take off in at least one direction.

9) Playability
While realistic terrains of Europe look pretty they most likely aren't playable. Take gameplay into consideration when making a terrain.

10) Group Master
Simply put, everything you place on your terrain is a Group Master. The only exceptions to this are Shore Batteries, Spawn Points, CVs, and the map rooms for CVs.

This may be over simplified, but for MA use it's probably the easiest way to put it.

11) Clouds
A complete cloud system is nice but so far as I know not required.

12) Start Over
If you find a glaring problem with your terrain, don't be afraid to start over. You don't know how many terrains I've scrapped 1/2 way through the creation process.

There are probably alot more than my brain can put together right now but with this information people should have a good starting point to make a terrain for the MA.

Remember these are general guidelines. Nothing is etched in stone. Some rules can be bent, but use caution when doing so. As I remember more I'll try to add to this post.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 01:42:55 PM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
MA Terrains
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 01:29:43 PM »
By the way, this is in addition to this thread...

What can be (is allowed) customized for a MA Terrain?
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
MA Terrains
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 01:42:14 PM »
Addition:

13) Clipboard Maps
Your clipboard map should be 1024 x 1024 in size.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 01:44:34 PM by NHawk »

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
MA Terrains
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 06:32:43 PM »
Thx NHawk. I've got a week off from work next week and thought I would work on starting one.

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
MA Terrains
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 09:16:37 AM »
Thanks NHawk, would be nice if this thread got a Sticky, because so many people want to know, yet end up asking the same question over again.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
MA Terrains
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 09:41:48 AM »
No problem.

Most of these aren't absolute etched in stone laws that will cause death and dismemberment if you break or bend them. They are only meant as basic guidelines.

Just in case it doesn't get stickied, I put the words "Main Arena" in the post so it can be found in a search. Oops...that's twice now. :)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
MA Terrains
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 09:49:12 AM »
Nicely put.

Also, there must be three bases marked as uncapturable.  They should be the three closet in proximity to the headquarters, which will also include the field with the ME163 enabled in it.

The ME163 should be disabled at all fields, except the airfield closest to the headquarters.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
MA Terrains
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 09:53:25 AM »
Rut roh!

I knew I forgot something. Umm..want to disable the 163 on my most recent submission? :(

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
MA Terrains
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 06:40:17 AM »
Not a rule, but advise.

When you submit your terrain, put the terrain name and the current date into both the .zip file name and the email subject. That way if there are modifications during the process they can be easily identified by both you and Skuzzy.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
MA Terrains
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 05:35:27 AM »
14) Strat & Zones
Each zone must have a complete strat system.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
MA Terrains
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 11:42:08 PM »
15.) SAVE SAVE SAVE!
FREQUENTLY save your work. Nothing like spending 3-4 hours working on a terrain for your computer to freeze or power go out. Losing all work you just did.

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
MA Terrains
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 11:56:10 AM »
Greetings,

Because I haven't seen it in the MA, I assume Airfields, Vehicle Bases, Towns, etc . . . may not be rotated when placed on the map.  Is this correct?

Regards,

Edited in response to following post,

Thanks!  And way cool!

Regards,
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 12:20:31 PM by MWL »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
MA Terrains
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 12:08:06 PM »
No, they may be rotated.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline sirvlad

• Nickel Member
Re: MA Terrains
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »
ANY chance we`ll ever actually see a new MA terrain??????????? :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Re: MA Terrains
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 04:52:46 PM »
ANY chance we`ll ever actually see a new MA terrain??????????? :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray
Mmmm... maybe ;)