Author Topic: Corsair 101  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Corsair 101
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 07:19:34 PM »
Rate of climb is more important than how tight you're making your spiral. Go no flaps, full power on and WEP it, keep your nose high. If you can ride the rate of climb at about 2500 fpm you should be pretty good. The Zero shouldn't be able to match you, and trying to cut inside your spiral SHOULD make him bleed out that much faster.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline WMDnow

• Copper Member
Corsair 101
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 07:34:12 PM »
Originally posted by FBplmmr
I've been trying to make the switch from Hellcat to corsair (1 and 1a)
and its taking more time than I expected.

I suspect it's because I was always trying to gain speed in the Cat before the merge and in the Hog I may be carrying to much in?

I really like the extra speed in the corsair, that allows me to reel in those guys that seem to want to check out when the going gets tuff

:lol

in the Cat I usually opened with the Immel and standard ops was wep on the way up- flap to bring it over then chop throttle and flap flap flap on the way down .. wepp back up by then Im getting ready to take off someones tail.(situations vary but without being in the fight right now I'm pretty sure thats how i did it)

(the exception to that was when fighting AKDogg in his corsair lol Slapshot in his fm2)
(when I fight them i just look out the back window and think "how the heck did they do that?":confused: )

ps I also cannot resist Zeke and Hurri bait , and until my last days i will continue to try to outturn them.. no, it does not usually go well:cry

I usually do Immelman in Corsair against same E/Alt enemies.  Works fairly well.  As for the Zeke and Hurricane, what I tend to do is stay at the top of my Immelman and let them bleed speed in their turn, which as you know makes them less maneuverable, so, you drop back down onto them.  This tactic takes some time to get used to, try it in TA.  Hope this helps.

-WMD

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
Corsair 101
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 08:24:21 PM »
thanks, a couple of things to stick in the "toolbox"!:aok

Offline HoseNose

• Zinc Member
Corsair 101
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 09:34:53 PM »
Thanks again for the tips.

Sax, who is this WW of which you speak? I'd like to see his/her tests.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Corsair 101
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 11:52:43 PM »
That's Widewing. He's also a trainer, and a VERY good Hog stick.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
Corsair 101
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 07:43:46 AM »
I don't know if he's an expert, but a guy named Delirious or something very similar was reversing my attacks in a ki84 ridiculously.  I wish I had film of it.  He was very good at reading my E and getting me to burn it off trying to get guns.  Those hogs can slow down mighty fast but can catch you if they set it up right.  Needless to say it was frustrating, but I was able to reverse him a few times, making me feel not too horribly n00bish.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Corsair 101
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 10:17:09 AM »
That's part of what makes the F4U so dangerous, is that because she can be a tricky bird to make the most of, people really underestimate her capabilities. There's few opponents more lethal in the MA than a Hog stick who knows what she can do.

Offline HoseNose

• Zinc Member
Corsair 101
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 11:59:13 AM »
The IL-2 boys don't call it the UFOrsair for nothing. I've finally got that reversal down, thanks again Sax.

Just one last question. I know it's all due to self-preference, but what convergence do you use for 6x 50 calmachines and more specifically, the Corsair?

I sometimes try to get in close but if I'm lucky enough, I can pull a fin off an extending Thunderbolt and get a kill from far out.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Corsair 101
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 12:55:32 PM »
My guns are set to a point at 200yds. With the .50cal, the closer your convergence the better, and at that range they are absolute buzzsaws and will tear even the tougher American and German iron apart.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Corsair 101
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 01:42:24 PM »
As an aspiring hog ace I would like to thank all those that have contributed to this, and other threads.  

My personal opinion, ( I know everyone has one) is that the corsair is the best E fighter there is. It may not excel at any one thing, but as an entire package it is hard to beat.

Now if I can ever learn to hit what I'm shooting at I'll be very dangerous in the hog, as I can normaly get saddled up, but I can't hit the ground with a rock on a good day. (I'm lucky if I have a 2% hit ratio) And yes for the most part I do all the things that you are supose to do to improve gunnery. I will keep practicing and when I do get the gunnery down look out. :D
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Corsair 101
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 10:22:38 AM »
I find the most mis-understood aspect of the F4u's is that dropping the gear DOES make your hog turn a circle tighter.

It allows for a faster deployment of flaps and that can make all the difference in converting a closing con on yer six to a kill-shot..either through overshoot or getting the nose around on him to fire a good burst.

The Hog is an excellant high speed turn plane..what most people don't know is that it's also an excellant slow-speed turner...not a sustained slow-speed turner,but if you know how to kick out those flaps with aide of dropping gear..it's the best plane in the game.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline 64kills

• Nickel Member
Corsair 101
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 10:31:33 AM »
i got somthin for ya heressome more help if in a jap plane if he's on your tail keep in the turn pull up roll over you'll be in postion it's like a barel roll so try that

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Corsair 101
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 10:55:09 AM »
Originally posted by SirLoin
I find the most mis-understood aspect of the F4u's is that dropping the gear DOES make your hog turn a circle tighter.

It allows for a faster deployment of flaps and that can make all the difference in converting a closing con on yer six to a kill-shot..either through overshoot or getting the nose around on him to fire a good burst.

The Hog is an excellant high speed turn plane..what most people don't know is that it's also an excellant slow-speed turner...not a sustained slow-speed turner,but if you know how to kick out those flaps with aide of dropping gear..it's the best plane in the game.

I would not say I disagree with this , but I find most people in the game who drop their gear in the F4U variants, are not  practiced enough to know when or for how long to keep the gear out:
  • they drop the gear and leave it out far too long, bleeding too much E
  • They do not hide their intentions and show the underside to their opponent, letting them get a heads up on what is happening ( visual clue Gear extending )
  • think  turning a tighter circle via gear extended, even though slower turn, is better than a well executed sustained turn, which is faster yet still tight
  • they think the gear is a instant overshoot sucess, giving up oon proper use of Rudder/Flaps/ Throttle management - via Extend Gear/Chop throttle way

flying for angles, and use of lag pursuit to me is much better, while maintaining Full Throttle, some flap/rudder and cross control, keeping Speed Bleed ( loss of E to a minimal ). Rather than dumping the gear, showing your hand and in which the F4U's do not have a well known Acceleration advantage unless you nose down for speed compared to most other planes.....  I would prefer to minimize chopping or cutting throttle to Zero. I would recommend using a 3 d perspective of the 2 D fight, and use angles/geometery to keep your E ( speed up )...... have I ever used the dropping of the Gear in a F4U? yes I have, how often do I do it? hardly ever.....

Sirloin is great at it,  BluKitty is great at it, a few others are great at it, as far as dumping all aspect of E and forcing an overshoot at slow speed......

Saxman is great at maintaining his E and  not going for the knife fight,  Widewing & Badboy, are great at E fighting and  maintaining E, while bleeding their opponents as well as some others also.....

we all have our preferences though.and alot of good suggestions, comments in this thread

note: note saying either or group of players above can not fight just the same from low stall speed knife fights / to  E fighting with perspective......just list them that way from my observations of fighting them  many times.......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Corsair 101
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 11:10:39 AM »
to add a bit more regarding  angles fighting against Zekes and Ki-61's/Ki-84s.....

I find the toughest to fight against is the Ki-84 with pilots like  Desirea? <--spelling , bovidea/2bighorn, etc..

as mentioned above, F4U will walk the dog on zekes and ki-61s and other nimble plane types, even when turning with them.it is all about out of plane maneuvering and flying for position, / snap/deflection shots rather than an all out turn fight trying to turn "in plane" with them and retain a 6 shot by saddling up.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline HoseNose

• Zinc Member
Corsair 101
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 03:41:34 PM »
Something I noticed about the Hog's awesome turning capabilities is that it is aided by combat trim. As you slow down, you can drop flaps and as that happens, the trim automatically trims you upward which gives the hog a tight initial turn. I attempted the same thing without combat trim and the turn doesn't seem very pronounced.

Now I'm going to try to work on making wide but fast turns so as to make a tight turning opponent bleed energy. Can't get the hang of it yet but I will!