Author Topic: Why is Allies vs Axis always empty ???  (Read 4368 times)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Why is Allies vs Axis always empty ???
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2007, 01:56:21 PM »
Ive posted the idea in our squad forum to see if there is any interest. Holiday times here (for me anyways) so to get anything setup would not be an option for a couple of weeks or so.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
another thought
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »
Alot of great sticks in the AvA.  Some of the best air to air to be found.  Haven't been there in almost two years now.  Began AcesHigh, found myself in the Training Arena and was lucky enough to meet a gentlemen with the call sign of S2F (Sugar).  He set me up in VF15 Satan's Playmates, and I was on my way!  Great guys,...Alpha81, Brentlo, Brenjen, Indiana, Zoo, Stitch and Gooch, Griz and his dad Viper,...and many more.  Learned alot quick...but...there I was flying my 190 in a US fighter group.

Couple months later, branched out with the only other LW enthusiast in VF15, formed a Squad and hit the skies...almost.

Of course we were drawn to the AvA.  That was what we were all about.  So in we jumped!  Oh boy...not good.  Here we were, a gaggle of noob, vultchin, hoing, ganging dweebs...LMAO...and just to make it perfect, we named our squad I/JG54...out of total ignorance of the existing unit!  What could have been worse.  My gawd we were Storch's worst nightmare and he sure did let us have it.

So...a couple years later, alot of lessons learned, and good experiences grown from...Why an empty AvA?

A couple of thoughts:  Someone noted that when the arena fills up, the game play degrades to MA style play.  I am sure it does.  That is only natural and a forgone conclusion.  The secret is to make that Not such a bad thing.  Yes, Stress things like Good Fights, Allowing the enemy to up, etc..etc..All the good things in there now, but also...welcome some bombers or something, move away from the elitist 1 v 1 attitude.  People go DA for that.  I'm certainly not advocating Base capture, map resets, or any of that stuff, just maybe some OBJECTIVES, would open up the game play a bit.  I wouldn't mind shooting down Lancs over the channel once in awhile.

Things like that might help.  No need to flame me, just opinions.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

storch

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 03:00:11 PM »
stampf you are not a nightmare, you're not in my thoughts at all.  perhaps your style of gameplay has changed but I kind of doubt it.  what bothers me and probably most folks in the AvA were the four of you getting in line abrest to HO, vutching and hiding in the ack.  other than that you are ok I guess.

Offline Anyone

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2007, 05:11:41 PM »
i came up with the idea with a few 71st squadies before and i think they got a few in..... the problem for me is when its prime, i can never be on due to time difference and GF ack

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2007, 05:35:07 PM »
Yup, so either weekends or a euro AvA and a US AvA "meet" may be easyer on all.

Offline AKKaz

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2007, 06:33:40 PM »
HMMMM, have to admit haven't thought about that arena in months.  But now that I've seen this post, it does sound interesting for some things.  Flew in there some and had great fun with some really good people.

If anyone comes up with an idea for something, let me know.  If something can be coordinated, I probably could get our squad to come on in for some excitement.  Hard part is, once the numbers start to show, then you will have quite a few walkins.  That would be fine, but wouldn't want it to turn into an MA style thing.

With a few squads, it would definitely be more fun doing squads vs squads war game type stuff than the open MA stuff.  I have heard from some other squads interested in possible dueling scenerio, this imho would be more interesting.

Contact AKDogg or myself throught our web sight, either email directly or through our forums arena.

http://www.arabian-knights.org
AKKaz
Arabian Knights

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2007, 06:37:05 PM »
I miss Filths old Buff runs, other than that its just a pointless, ack hugging furball whenever I check it.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 01:45:03 PM »
My problem is similar to the rest of you.  I'd love to do some AvA action... but my playing time is very limited and if no one is there, I can't really jsutify sitting in there waiting on others to show up.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 01:52:37 PM »
Holy Lazerus! Thread almost a month old. :noid

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 02:13:14 PM »
AvA had good numbers last night !  :D
325th Checkertails

Offline Nimrod45

• Copper Member
Don't care about score
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 02:30:15 PM »
I would also like to see more people in the Axis vs Alies.  It would be cool but every time I log on there are only 2 or 3 people in it if that, and I ain't going to jump in and spend the next three hours hopin someone else will follow suit.  It would be a lot more realistic, then maybe we could have a little weather factor and some real clouds.
As for points not counting toward the MA, why would anyone really care that much, it's a frigging game, you don't gain anything in real life off your AH score unless this is your one and only chance for recognition, and if it is quickly unplug your computer and get a life.

Offline VERTEX

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 04:15:15 PM »
Nothing will hone your dogfighting skills like the AvA. But you have to get used to losing alot. When I encounter a superior stick in the AvA my goal is not to win the dogfight but to stay alive the longest i can. eventually you live longer and longer then start winning a few. Its been the best training Ive ever had. Also, one benefits from flying the same plane over and over against the same adversary over and over. Really gives you a chance to learn the strengths and weaknesses of a couple of types.

The AvA is underrated by far. I intend to spend more time there once september rolls around.

Offline 1cajun

• Probation 1/25/2016
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2007, 10:16:41 AM »
When I started flying in AH, I was excited about the AvA arena.  Sounded like a great time, no HO's or vulching and less bs on 200.  But, sadly a lot of the time I have been in there it seems like you don't even need a map.  It turns into a fight between 2 fields.  Don't fly with a wingman or you will get accused of gangbangin.  Also, ask permission to get into a fight before you engage.  Then you go cold merge and get HO'd by someone.  The idea is great and maybe some of the regulars respect the good fight but other times it seems like you end up listening to lectures about when you can and cannot engage, or getting chewed out because you have a wingman.  It could be a great arena.  Seems to me that a lot of the regulars don't want new players.  I have seen some people in there often that appear to enjoy deriding the new faces.
I'll keep popping in.  I guess it depends on who is there.  I have flow a lot of nights in the early or mid war and there was less HO's then I have run into in the AvA.
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2007, 10:24:27 AM »
Originally posted by 1cajun
When I started flying in AH, I was excited about the AvA arena.  Sounded like a great time, no HO's or vulching and less bs on 200.  But, sadly a lot of the time I have been in there it seems like you don't even need a map.  It turns into a fight between 2 fields.  Don't fly with a wingman or you will get accused of gangbangin.  Also, ask permission to get into a fight before you engage.  Then you go cold merge and get HO'd by someone.  The idea is great and maybe some of the regulars respect the good fight but other times it seems like you end up listening to lectures about when you can and cannot engage, or getting chewed out because you have a wingman.  It could be a great arena.  Seems to me that a lot of the regulars don't want new players.  I have seen some people in there often that appear to enjoy deriding the new faces.
I'll keep popping in.  I guess it depends on who is there.  I have flow a lot of nights in the early or mid war and there was less HO's then I have run into in the AvA.

What good is an arena if it is no different than the other arenas?  There are several MAs to choose from.  Why have an AvA if it is not going to be a litle different?
I ve seen way too many excuses for acting like a dweeb. Wingman tacktics, flying the right way, helping, bla bla bla.  Do it if that is what you want.  But please don't get offended when someone tells you that that is what you are doing.
And BTW, why do cherry pickers, vulchers, etc get offended when they are called that?  Its their $15 and they use it the way they want.  They will tell you that and at the same time get offended when you tell them they are doing that :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2007, 11:09:20 AM »
Originally posted by 1cajun

1Cajun,

I think the type of flying you're looking for can best be found in Special Events. Go here  Friday Squad Ops, Scenarios, and Snap Shots, are outstanding. Give them a try. If it's a squad based event, try getting your squad involved. If you're not iin a squad give us in 880 NAS a shout, our website link is in my sig block.:aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV