Author Topic: will htc install new terrain  (Read 1739 times)

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
will htc install new terrain
« on: August 25, 2007, 06:52:55 AM »
i was wondering with all the work you guys are doing on tiles and trees ect will HTC consider incopurating them in to the terrain editor as a standard tile if they were submitted to HTC.

It would be nice it your hard work could be put into good use in the future for new maps for the main arenas.

we have had desert tiles and winter tiles, pacific tiles it would be nice if HTC would put these into the game for every one to see the guys great work.

Also this would make for some very nice different maps for every one to use
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 07:38:01 AM »
I agree that they should be put into some standard format so they can be chosen when building a terrain and/or in the arena setup.

But, I have yet to see anybody do a complete set of 40 (including the new rivers) different terrain textures. It's 24 without the rivers. Not including the ovly textures.

The closest I've see are Croduh's snow textures which still fall short. He duplicates 0101 and 0102 with 0103 and 0104. Or at least they look to be duplicates to me.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:51:57 AM »
i would have thought that with everyones effort we could get groupes of tiles to submit to htc.The thing is its a lot of work for people to do and if they wasnt accepted it would be a waste of time.

Skuzzy is there any HTC view on this for new tiles?is it worth the guys doing.

Id like to give it a try but i dont actually understand at the moment how the tiles are done or how they are textured
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 12:44:37 PM »
As I recall, and this may have been a players post instead of htc, I think it was posted that htc wanted complete sets of  tiles for the seasons. NHawk pointed out, that’s a lot of work for one person and the chances of doing it less then right are high. It really needs a team effort because tiles that look good are easy to produce but if you don’t discipline yourself to use low poly counts and the smallest possible textures, your efforts will be wasted at best and hated at worst.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 11:53:32 AM »
I doubt though that htc will accept textures from anyone, they can make much better ones anytime.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 01:52:42 PM »
yes they can make better ones but they dont really want to i think.

it seems that a lot of the things are having to be done by members to further the game.
Pity we cant have some different terrains
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 02:23:51 PM »
It sounds like Rogerdee wants the Main arenas to have variation. We already have played supplied tiles in SEA and AvA terrains. The reason we cannot have variation in the main arenas is because main arena terrains need to maintain a relatively small download size. Japan had tile textures and was roughly 12mb. Because the default object tiles were ETO oriented, I had to make new object tiles for Japan. That increased the terrain size to 31mb. MA terrains tend to be less than 1mb.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 03:42:36 PM »
I still think the best way to allow variation on the maps is my idea of 5 res files containing nothing but terrain textures.

It's a one time download, it would not have to be updated with each release unless there was a good reason to, and allows for setting the terrain type in arena setup and/or in the TE.

This way every map can rotate through the seasons and/or ET and PT terrain features.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 03:49:09 PM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 06:06:06 PM »
Agreed, everytime we do the textures just for the tiles, no trees etc, it's around 18 meg.  Toss in some objects and our terrain downloads are in the neighborhood of 40 meg.  so anything that would reduce that is a good thing in my book.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 08:46:11 AM »
Originally posted by NHawk
I still think the best way to allow variation on the maps is my idea of 5 res files containing nothing but terrain textures.

It's a one time download, it would not have to be updated with each release unless there was a good reason to, and allows for setting the terrain type in arena setup and/or in the TE.

This way every map can rotate through the seasons and/or ET and PT terrain features.

That would be a good idea...

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 09:03:01 AM »
Also, it would be nice that seasons textures would change according to real seasons.

That way the textures will be changing constantly and won't get boring.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 09:20:12 AM »
yes it would be god if the terrain changed with the seasons and were not so boring .Also thinking of the skinners we could have skins done for each terrain or season.

Some nice desert skins some nice pacific ones if we ever hae that terrain and of course some nice winter or autum ones
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 10:09:13 AM »
Seasonal tiles sets would require more than just replacing the tiles.  You have trees.  How goofy does it look for all green trees full of leaves to be on a snow/ice terrain?

How about all the buildings?  Shouldn't they have some snow on the tops?

What about all the fields?  They have their own base tile.

Practically every 3D object on a terrain would need to be reworked.

Doing a seasonal terrain would require massive amounts of art work.  Not that it cannot be done.  It can!  But it is a pretty daunting thing to try and accomplish.

Would they be used in anu of the main arenas?  I do not have an answer, but will try to find out.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 10:23:32 AM »
Skuzzy,

While you're checking can you find out about PTO objects/textures?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 10:59:06 AM »
Saxman, the 5 res files I speak of include PTO

Winter
Spring
Summer
Fall
PTO

Fall would probably be the easiest to implement first since there's little to change except trees and maybe some terrain textures.

PTO would be the second easiest since I do belive much of the PTO work may already be done.