Author Topic: I'm leaning toward the F6F-5, what are you thoughts?  (Read 860 times)

Offline 64kills

• Nickel Member
Re: I'm leaning toward the F6F-5, what are you thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 02:36:04 PM »
Originally posted by frumpus
I've been experimenting with a lot of the fighter/attack planes and I really like the F6F-5. It's seems pretty maneuverable and carries a pretty good load of arms. I'd like any advice you more experienced guys have on this plane and its strengths, weaknesses and such.

well, man the f6f is a realy good plane but when you try to run it just doesn't work yesterday in the MA I had been dogfihting in a f4u-1c cuz i get perks pretty fast with an a6m well we were turn ing and all and i saw that he cut his engine to stay behind me.I took the advantage and got low and ran i made it 2.4k away then turned around and got him then i tryed it in an f6f  that a6m shot me up llike swiss cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got so mad
:mad: :furious :furious :mad:

Offline odin3

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.vmfblackjacks.com
I'm leaning toward the F6F-5, what are you thoughts?
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 05:55:27 PM »
Originally posted by Vudak
I had a nice little 2v1 against some Spit 8's last night...  It was a good time, until the surviving one drew very different conclusions than you and ran away :D

Was I one of those spits??  I know i try not to run if i dont have to.. only if i'm almost out of gas or ammo... for the most part.. Balls to the walls boys.

And to the post about me hosing down. I'm still trying to get my gunnery up to snuff... *sigh*
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:00:31 PM by odin3 »

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
Re: Re: I'm leaning toward the F6F-5, what are you thoughts?
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 06:26:41 PM »
Originally posted by 64kills
well, man the f6f is a realy good plane but when you try to run it just doesn't work yesterday in the MA I had been dogfihting in a f4u-1c cuz i get perks pretty fast with an a6m well we were turn ing and all and i saw that he cut his engine to stay behind me.I took the advantage and got low and ran i made it 2.4k away then turned around and got him then i tryed it in an f6f  that a6m shot me up llike swiss cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got so mad
:mad: :furious :furious :mad:

That is the longest run on I've ever seen. Ever. I had to call for oxygen to read it.
Anywho, the F6F is a much better plane for a newer player, than the F4U, for one simple reason, the F4U is very tricky to land.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Re: Re: I'm leaning toward the F6F-5, what are you thoughts?
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 06:39:56 PM »
Originally posted by C(Sea)Bass
That is the longest run on We've ever seen. Ever. We had to call for oxygen to read it.
Anywho, the F6F is a much better plane for a newer player, than the F4U, for one simple reason, the F4U is very tricky to land.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: I'm leaning toward the F6F-5, what are you thoughts?
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 07:05:10 PM »
Originally posted by C(Sea)Bass

Two words: Differential brakes.
Default keys: C, V (left, right)
You don't have to ground loop ever again.

The F4U in terms of performance is simply a better plane than the F6F. Its dubious stall handling takes away the only real advantage in performance F6F might have had. The other many real F6F advantages, those that made it the major carrier plane in the PTO, are not things modeled in the game and have nothing to do with how it flies.

edit:
not to mention that the F4u has the nice AHII graphics while the Hellcat has perhaps the oldest looking 3D model, with a too low front arch and is missing a few mph. BRING IT UP TO AHII STANDARDS!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:10:50 PM by bozon »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm leaning toward the F6F-5, what are you thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 07:28:33 PM »
Originally posted by bozon

Its dubious stall handling takes away the only real advantage in performance F6F might have had.

You're a good player, Bozon.  Invite a friend over who's never played before.  Get them in the air with Corsair, and then with a Hellcat.  Time how long it takes them to auger.

I'm not going to get into whether it's dubious or not.  I don't have the knowledge to do so.  But I will say I think at least part of the reason it is so widely seen as such is due to good players being able to try things that no one in their right mind would ever even attempt in real life for fear of being killed.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
I'm leaning toward the F6F-5, what are you thoughts?
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 10:49:59 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
The 1D and 4 out-haul the Hellcat slightly, with an extra pair of rockets (the difference would be MORE notable if we had the center pylon w/2000lb bomb + wing pylon 1000lbers + HVARs option on the 1D).  

Lol again with the center-line pylon option. But I must admit, that would be amazingly fun. It'd take a tad more effort to get my fat arse of the CV though. Maybe we'll get it when the perk-ord system comes out.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.