Author Topic: manual trim  (Read 833 times)

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
manual trim
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 10:33:41 AM »
If you are using rotaries for your trims (analog trim) rather than buttons (digital trim), I recommend assigning all three axes.  When I first started using analog trim about a year ago, I assigned only aileron and elevator and used a hat switch to control my rudder trim.  I found that my rudder trim would often be all the way to one side when I first started a flight.  I supposed that was some sort of bug caused by mixing digital trim with analog trim.  I finally just assigned my rudder trim to a rotary as well and have flown that way from then on.  Since there are so few of us who actually use analog trim (most of the discussion in this thread has been about digital trim), I suspect that not many see this "bug."  This behavior could actually have been fixed for all I know as I wouldn't notice it.  At any rate, I don't see any reason not to assign all three if you have the pots available.

For whatever it's worth.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline WaRLoCkL

• Nickel Member
      • http://elitebf2aces.net
manual trim
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 04:47:08 PM »
The main difference is manual trim can be dialed in quicker than auto trim, that is the main advantage.

If u go into a steep dive u will notice if u let off your stick it will actaully try to lvl itself out for a few seconds, that is because your auto trim is still set for a few 100 miles an hour back.

Auto trim is designed to autocalculate your trim settings for the speed u are currently flying at. Hence u should be able to let off your stick and center it and u should fly perfectly strait.

The advantage if manual trim is it can dialed in faster than auto, but if u get use to auto trim then there really is not much difference.

The big key is if u end up in a sustained fight then u can switch to manual trim and set your elevator all the way up for a even harder turn.

also for everytime u are on and off the throttle, and speed changes, u will have to manage ailoron trim on the fly as well.

I belive its preference, if u want a more real feal then go with manual trim.

I use auto trim 99% of the time, but will manual trim to pull out of compression or for that extra little push on a turn.

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
manual trim
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 04:53:12 PM »
I have a button that enables/disables combat trim quickly, that way i can switch to manual trim when a fight comes then switch back when i'm safe... or dead.  In a fight i find that elevator trim is the one i use the most and frankly i hate tinkering with it on a long flight so i switch CT on.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
manual trim
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 05:49:55 PM »
Originally posted by clerick
In a fight i find that elevator trim is the one i use the most and frankly i hate tinkering with it on a long flight so i switch CT on.

Same here only I tend to use the three APs (level, speed, angles) rather than CT.  I did what you describe for a while and just got so used to manual trim, I just deleted the CT button from my HOTAS after it sat unused for six months or so.

Though I agree with what everybody is saying here (manual trim definitely broadens the compression window, etc.), as I said before, there is a lot of personal preference in all this.
The Hay Street Boys