Author Topic: Combat trim  (Read 546 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Combat trim
« on: October 31, 2007, 11:09:15 AM »
I have a question about combat trim. Should it be left on or off, does it depend on the plane and are there any advantages in the way of stick or plane performance?

Thanks

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Combat trim
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:18:53 AM »
For a start read this
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Combat trim
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:32:58 AM »
I just found this and it answers part of the question I guess.  Now off to read  what Lusche posted. Lots there as far as i can tell.....this is gonna take time.

Written by patches1

just to Support REN

CT will constanly adjust trim for the SPEED at which you are CURRENTLY flying and thus will gladly make adjustments without asking you. For instance...if you go into a dive with CT on...it may continually adjust for a bit of nose up trim that you may not wish to have happen when you are diving from altitude to drop bombs upon a target.

CT generally adjusts to about 80% of trim required for the SPEED at which you are CURRENTLY flying, or diving, or climbing.

Try this; go to the Training Arena, climb to 15K in any plane of your choice,
and go into a steep dive over a field, picking out a single target. Manually trim your aircraft for the target you have selected...and a second or two, or three later, hit Combat Trim and see what happens. Try pulling out of the dive and then, hit Combat Trim again (which will turn it OFF). What happens?

Combat Trim can be a friend, or a foe.

First learn to trim manually....
Then learn what Combat Trim does...
Then combine the two...

Just my 2 cents.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Combat trim
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 03:40:17 PM »
There are some planes like the P-38 where combat trim is a hinderance.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline StuB

• Zinc Member
Combat trim
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 03:57:01 PM »
I set up a joystick button to toggle it on and off.

I only mess with it when I am in a high speed dive and am using trim for control.....since I have TrackIr I use the "coolie hat" switch for trim instead of views.

When I am controlling with trim I turn off Combat Trim and then input trim commands (along with regular stick inputs).  

Once my plane is pointed the right way I toggle Combat Trim on to zero the trim settings back to normal.

I mostly fly the 109K4 and this setup gets me out of most 500+ mph dives and helps me roll faster at those speeds as well.
"Facing up to 200 Russians eager to have a nibble at you, or even Spitfires, can be quite enjoyable...but curve in against 70 Boeing Fortresses and all your past sins flash before your eyes."

Major Hans "Fips" Philipp
Geschwaderkommodore, JG 1
206 Victories. KIA 8 October, 1943

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Combat trim
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 04:11:49 PM »
I toggle off and on too.  

I fly Spits, 190's, the F6F-5 and the Yak-9U a lot.  I manually trim elevators down to maintain dive in a Spit and manually trim up to pull out of fast dives with the 190's and the Yak.  Once I'm clear of those situations I toggle combat trim back on (it automatically toggles off once you start trimming manually).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
Combat trim
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 06:45:41 PM »
<---never uses it...to much trouble to bother.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Combat trim
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 06:04:27 AM »
Flys with it off, but toggles it on if I need to retrim and don't have time in a fight.

Ussually happens when I go from high and fast in autopilot straight into a fight, end up low & slow on the deck. Trim is still set for high and fast, controls start feeling mushy, funky. Cycle it on & off and its "closer" to what it needs to be.

Not perfect, not as good as you can do with manual trim if you have time. But better than it was, and with a minimal amount of juggling by me.