Author Topic: Why can't I see the tank that sees me?  (Read 1015 times)

Offline TalonTSG

• Zinc Member
Seeing the enemy
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 11:18:03 PM »
I might have missed it, but I don't see a reply for zooming.

You can locate the enemy in two ways: using your machine gun site, or the main gun. Hit the "z" key for zoom, and on my computer I use the arrow up/down keys and the "[" and "]" keys to get the zoom I want.

Moving up to a point you expect to find the enemy, stop, and shut engine so you won't attract attention. I like to use machine gun site first, in some instances, because you can zoom in but get a wider view. Then using main gun to point toward target and zoom in and aim.

Sometimes you may not have time for MG zoom, and will need to zoom in with main gun and just pan around to try to find enemy. Headphone set makes it easier to listen for tanks rolling around because tanks on your left are louder in left speaker. Headphones make a big difference (at least with a laptop).

Now, once you've figured out how to zoom, you'll still need to learn how to range your fire to hit target. Good luck!

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
Why can't I see the tank that sees me?
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 07:21:02 AM »
oh yea something to add i spot like that from the mg position i also use my twist stick rudder to turn best way to drive for me cause i can see 360
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Why can't I see the tank that sees me?
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 12:33:37 PM »
Even though you may "see" more with ground vis mode and detail lowered, the advantage is , in reality, quite negligible.  

I know I am almost given no choice when lots of fires are lit on a base or the "fog of war" comes down at ports.  Otherwise my frame rate goes in the toilet.  I own a DJ Company and I am running a killer sound card, and more RAM than windows will ever recognize for music editing, mastering, mixing, etc.  Sadly, though, in my line of work an "uber" video card wasn't necessary when I built my desktop.  I do have better performance in the laptops, however because I use them to play music, music videos, and karaoke.  Unfortunately, due to their purpose in life (weddings, parties, mitzvah's, etc), they do not see any internet time (only on local network for library updates and on rare scheduled occasions)    I can't afford to clutter them with unnecessary software.

However, lowering detail and using ground vis IMHO does not give much of an advantage.  Although you my "see" they enemy easier behind hills, trees, buildings, etc  these objects do not arbitrarily disappear physically, only visually.  Even though you may see me more easily behind the tree, hill, vegetation, one may be surprised when one's ordinance hits that "invisible" objects and not the enemy.

I honestly find no more advantage to it than shutting down the engine and having a good listen.

As for the enemy shooting you down when you can't see 'em, SHOOT & SCOOT.  Never stay in one place for more than 3 or 4 volley's or exchanges.  Also, finding a good "hull-down" position always helps.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline what'shisname?

• Zinc Member
Top of Thread Post
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 02:46:37 AM »
I prefer T-34 tank most of the time as if / when I get killed, my opponent doesn't get too much, I can level an airbase town with it and it is fast.  One guy in particular, contributes here a lot, got me 10 miles away, I think (exagerrated) but it was a very long shot and I was moving at top speed.  He got me with one shot.  I think the difference is a hardware performance issue of better PC and a good graphics card and superior German intellect  {:^)  and more than likely---CH Products.

I want to upgrade to a good setup, but I don't know what to buy.  I'd spend up to $4,000.  I know I want XP.  I know I want 2 gigs of ram (1 gig currently).   My Radeon Vision TEK 1300 graphics card (PCI) for my 2000 era Dell desktop is better than what came with the onboard system, but mine is substandard to what most use here and some of why I underperform to MA.  I am totally blind as what works to the best performance hardware in game.  I tank a lot and a lot of the times I do not see my opponent.  

My PC is my 1st experimentation with various upgrades I did solo and I know squat and trial and error gets expensive.  Up to a point I can upgrade, then a better PC is a wiser move.

I did upgrade to a better DSL modem / router via my ISP and all my lag problems disappeared.

If being vulched, I spawn in, get the heck out of there opposite the direct route to vehicle base and serpintine my path in S moves.  I go out and around away from the vulchers (ugly bastages).  2 or 3 times I can't get out, I find another base.  Well, not always.  It is fun to hop in and out of different spawn points to pick off the vulchers, or, attempt to, anyway.

Been playing 8 months.

-+-
WHN
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 02:51:15 AM by what'shisname? »