Author Topic: <insert blood curdling wail>  (Read 1530 times)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
<insert blood curdling wail>
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2007, 02:07:13 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
That happened when I first did the build, took me a week or so to find the other IDE connector. (Yeah, I know, START with the manual, don't use it as a last resort....but what can I say).

Will the drive operate properly as a SCSI, or do I need to go somewhere to re-educate it?

Excellent thought, getback, but I've tried 2 different 40 wire cables and connected/disconnected more times than I want to count.
It will operate correctly. It's just identified as SCSI, it doesn't actually run as one.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2007, 02:14:17 PM »

Excellent thought, getback, but I've tried 2 different 40 wire cables and connected/disconnected more times than I want to count. [/B]

I could have loaded a semi full of computers as many times as I carried my new comp to the kitchen to work on when working on the cables.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2007, 03:33:45 PM »
Originally posted by NHawk
I think we all may be confused on what has and hasn't been tried so here are the combinations. They should all be done on the PRI_IDE connector on the MOBO....

First, before you try anything else you say the DVD is functional now so leave it as is. Connect the new HD to the EIDE connector (all drives made today are EIDE) using the 80 wire cable you bought with the HD jumper set on Cable Select. Then proceed to the note below...

NOTE: In EVERY case, boot, go into bios and set the Boot HD and boot drive order. Every time you move a drive that will change automatically in bios and may not be correct. I still think this may be what caused the original problem. And by removing and adding the drive things just got confused from there.....

Had my fill of this problem, so didn't try the fix till today. Once the boot priority was set, and with the new drive on its own cable, everything worked like a charm. Formatted fine, operates normally.

Thanks for the help, guys -- and a special thanks with an thrown in for NHawk!!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 07:38:15 AM »
Glad to hear it's working!

I was beginning to picture you curled up in a corner with the cables in your hand, convulsing, drooling and repeatedly mumbling "this should work". :)
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 07:46:41 AM »
You must've mistaken Simaril for me three years ago.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.