Author Topic: Yikes! Christmas music 24-7 now  (Read 1168 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Yikes! Christmas music 24-7 now
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2007, 12:27:57 AM »
Ugh MUZAK stunk

Up here, we have one locally owned rock station (owned by Stephen King, the horror author).  Listen to the station for 3-4 hours and you start hearing the same tunes, over and over.  While locals claim to be better than the Clear Channel/big companies, whoever is picking the songs isnt very creative.

I'm restricted by what the radio can pick up.  Once the Lifeflight chopper starts spooling up, there goes a few more stations.

Sadly, upon surfing the dial tonight, its down to twangy rock, 3 country stations or the 4 Christmas stations.  Ugh!

Might be a good night to make some progress in a new book.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 12:38:27 AM »
LePaul, I'd be willing to bet that station is satellite fed and the DJ's are not even in Maine. TM21 produces about 20 different radio formats and beams them to stations all over the country. You may have 1 or 2 live local guys, but the rest are sitting in Dallas spinning corporate playlists.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2007, 12:43:39 AM »
94.9 FM   WHOM    :)

Which does King own? Frank or the Led Zepplin station? :P

I just saw him at the Irving in Fryeburg last week.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 12:46:05 AM by FiLtH »

~AoM~

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2007, 01:23:32 AM »
King owns WKIT (100.3 FM) and WZON, a popular AM station for sports.

http://www.zoneradio.com/

WKIT has local DJs.  I knew the guy who did the midnight to 7am haul.  From what he said, they have a fairly strict playlist since if they go too far off list, they have to pay royalties, etc.

Offline Hien

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2007, 01:43:26 AM »
We have a Couple of Clear stations, they don't usually get that bad.  

Might have something to do with me only listening to one of them... And them only ever playing rock, ever.  

So... yeah... I'm not a big holidays person, food yes, happyfuntimes not so much.

Thankfully, our local stations don't start churning out the Xmas stuff for a while.  It's just recently cold enough to BE winter...

Crazy Texas...

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2007, 02:42:01 AM »
Just sayin it's becoming more widespread. Locally owned stations are turning to SatFeed to get high quality talent and music at a low cost. They have a pretty slick setup and it's hard to tell it's not local. If you ever hear Chaz Mixon on the air, it's a satellite feed from TM21.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2007, 04:37:42 AM »
Well at least on Saturday nights, the House of Hair with Dee Snider gives me 2 hours of excellent music  :)

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2007, 07:24:37 AM »
Thank COD in my 23 years in radio, I never worked for a "All Christmas All The Time" station.  It was bad enough doing 4x an hour up to CHristmas Eve...then most all stations go "All Christmas" Christmas Eve & Christmas Day.

The mentality is this, however:  businesses (stores) will leave it on all day, gettin SOME 8-10 hour mentions in the Arbitron rating diary.  The stupid part of that is that you are letting your customers hear commercials for other stores (and their consequential "sales").

The other mentality is that houswives will leave it on all day while doing holiday related things (trimming tree, cleaning for a holiday party, etc.) and getting another few "long term" TSL (Time Spent Listing) entries in the Arbitron diary.

The REALITY is that most listeners will tune to any format for about 45 minutes before losing interest and scanning other stations...especially during lengthy commercial stopsets....

And the stopsets are lengthy this time of year as most stations will break their 3 minutes or 5 spots rule per stopset to pick up more station revenue.

68ROX

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2007, 08:57:20 AM »
Thank COD for commercial and xmas free stations.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 11:52:43 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Thank COD for commercial and xmas free stations.

What? You don't want to hear Michael Jackson singing Santa Claus is coming to town a few times? How un-American, uh, nevermind.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2007, 12:01:56 PM »

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2007, 01:01:13 PM »
Im not gonna open it :D

Have yet to hear a single xmas jingle at home or in a shop so im blocking the world out for another week :D

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2007, 01:25:34 PM »
Page not found
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Meatwad
Page not found

Seems to come and go, I'll try to find another.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2007, 02:37:37 PM »
Guess Michael ain't as popular as he usta be.

Here's a better one anyhow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9DmSfufSQ

That's a beautiful song and beautifully performed. I can listen to it over an over.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 03:07:42 PM by AKIron »