Author Topic: vs enemy proxy modifier  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Gowan

• Proation 9/22/2016
  • Nickel Member
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2007, 11:09:23 PM »
lol

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2008, 06:49:09 AM »
Murdr, I see this thread only now, due to a link you posted elsewhere....

I totally embrace your idea, let's lobby for it!

(Although it's so fun to fight 1 vs many! :D)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 08:41:55 AM »
I like this idea a lot. It places the emphasis on pilot skill and not on how big a gang you are in.

HTC have attempted to modify the way people fly before by using score incentives like using ENY to promote side switching to the outnumbered side. However the overall numbers a side has isn't really the point, its how many concentrate in one spot. While concentration of force is a sound military tactic, it isn't much fun for either side to be in a totally one sided fight.

I often log onto an arena and find one huge red darbar at one spot on the frontline and nothing to fight elsewhere. Go anywhere near the horde and you'll find yourself dogpiled in no time.

If this idea was implemented I reckon you'd see a slight shift away from hording. The nature of the field capture game means it would still go on. However those more interested in their rank would now have an incentive to go elsewhere.

There would be more small pockets of activity further down the frontline, so everyone would be more likely to find the type of fight they like.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 08:09:09 PM »
Thx for the bump.  Wish I would have thought to slip this topic in the conversation when I was talking to someone earlier today lol.

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 04:04:16 AM »
Quick! Find an excuse and call him again! :lol

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 02:04:37 PM »
Murdr, did you get a chance to read my old thread (that I linked to earlier) regarding this and a couple of other ideas?

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 11:27:12 PM »
Yea, sorry.  I think I was replying to your post awhile back, got interrupted, and never posted.

The rank thing might be fun, but then again many of the best sticks rarely pay any attention to rank.

The reason I jumped straight to proximity range as a factor is that on the large maps (& ndilse) it's not too unusual for the country with the most numbers having to fight local hording situations on the flanks.  Really the only time I have a problem with ENY is when I am fighting off in a corner of the map for hours, we get locally out numbered, but are still ENY limited.

ENY was to address the macro problem of one country consistantly fielding more pilots than the other two combined during prime time.  Perk points and plane selection are already affected by country balance.  I doubt adding points vs enemy to the list would change the country balance issue much.

Obviously I think modfactor3 is a great idea ;)

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2008, 09:19:35 PM »
if it is a vote thing, i vote yes!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
As far as I'm concerned the 'oddball' scenarios are irrelevent.  What is common is the con who simply refuses to engage in an even fight.  What is common is 5+ vs 1 engagments.

What set me off is that last night, I egressed the furball upon spotting 8+ 15k cons comming in.  Four pursuied me.  I dragged them over 1/2 a sector until 2 of them pealed off out of con range.  I turn to engage 2v1 and in no time, the other two come back from outside of con range...4v1, all 4 tried to HO, situation normal.  Again I egress and two enemies give up.  Let me make this point very clear...the fight is now 2v1 over 20 miles behind friendly lines, over 50 miles from the nearest enemy airfield.  So I re-engage 2v1 again.  Guess what?  Two different enemy fighters come in.  They had absolutely no reason to be out in the middle of nowhere.  They had to be alerted to the location by the original pursuiers.  What is up with that?  Calling in 'help' on an already 2vs1, or "hunting"?  Don't matter because either way it was some of the lamest game play I have ever seen in AH.  And overall, it is back to nobody wants to engage in actual combat, but rather is out looking for a free kill where there is little risk.

The fact is, it all pays the same no matter what the tactical scenario is.  More and more AH is being populated by pure gamers rather than flight sim enthuseist.  I say hit the 'game the gamers' and 'teamplay' in their score.  For those who just want combat for their gameplay, this will have little effect, but for those whos modius operendi is to run run run from any unoccupied enemy, and attack only occupied enemy, it will have an effect.

Potentially what I suggested would have a huge impact on the points vs enemy accumulation, but that is still only 20% of fighter rank, and 10% of attack and vehicle rank.  Net effect is, you'll have to do double or more times the work to accumulate rank points if you are a player who's bread and butter is avoiding an actual 'fight' at all costs.

And again 101 scenerios where this is "not fair" is irrelevent.  What is relevent is not rewarding poor gameplay.

this is the best reason to have H2H arenas with a two squad (46) player ceiling, then the one who opens the arena can boot whoever doesn't follow arena guidelines, then you can set the arena up anyway you want to.
I would pay an additional fee for this option. And the dweebie crap can stay in the MA's.
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2008, 06:20:40 AM »
Originally posted by yanksfan
this is the best reason to have H2H arenas with a two squad (46) player ceiling, then the one who opens the arena can boot whoever doesn't follow arena guidelines, then you can set the arena up anyway you want to.
I would pay an additional fee for this option. And the dweebie crap can stay in the MA's.

What you suggest is just to shut your home's door to keep the rotting world outside and say "who cares, I have my own playground".

Having H2H-like rooms won't do any good to the game, it'll just make happy the people that has similar way of playing the game. What Murdr is suggesting is to balance again the gameplay in MAs, where it is needed... if you leave MAs in the hand of the horde and run-fighters, just happy to have your own private little world to play in, this game will die. We need to bring the fights back in MAs. That's the truth.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
I don't care what Gianlupo has to say, it just makes me happy when he posts.  I'm not sure why.

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »
Originally posted by Gianlupo
What you suggest is just to shut your home's door to keep the rotting world outside and say "who cares, I have my own playground".

Having H2H-like rooms won't do any good to the game, it'll just make happy the people that has similar way of playing the game. What Murdr is suggesting is to balance again the gameplay in MAs, where it is needed... if you leave MAs in the hand of the horde and run-fighters, just happy to have your own private little world to play in, this game will die. We need to bring the fights back in MAs. That's the truth.

Ok, good luck with that:aok

Can I have my head to head rooms with up to 46 player limits full control of arenas and a compass in the stock?:D
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2008, 10:24:51 AM »
Thanks. What do you need the compass for? You already have it in each plane.... :confused:

Originally posted by scottydawg
I don't care what Gianlupo has to say, it just makes me happy when he posts.  I'm not sure why.

I don't know if I have to be glad or offended.... maybe it's time for a new avatar.... :D

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2008, 10:36:47 AM »
Thanks. What do you need the compass for? You already have it in each plane.... :confused:

Your supposed to say:

"you'll shoot your eye out kid"    Ya blew your line!

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
vs enemy proxy modifier
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2008, 12:08:35 PM »

I don't know if I have to be glad or offended.... maybe it's time for a new avatar.... :D