Author Topic: Change or progress?  (Read 129 times)

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
Change or progress?
« on: December 16, 2007, 09:35:41 AM »
Change or progress, which do you prefer?  I prefer the latter.

change
1.  to make the form, nature, content, future course, etc., of (something) different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone: to change one's name; to change one's opinion; to change the course of history.

2.  to transform or convert (usually fol. by into): The witch changed the prince into a toad.

3.  to substitute another or others for; exchange for something else, usually of the same kind: She changed her shoes when she got home from the office.

progress
1.  a movement toward a goal or to a further or higher stage: the progress of a student toward a degree.

2.  developmental activity in science, technology, etc., esp. with reference to the commercial opportunities created thereby or to the promotion of the material well-being of the public through the goods, techniques, or facilities created.

3.  advancement in general.

4.  growth or development; continuous improvement: He shows progress in his muscular coordination.

5.  the development of an individual or society in a direction considered more beneficial than and superior to the previous level.
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Change or progress?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 09:45:13 AM »
all progress requires change but not all change is progress unless.....

You can  have progress toward something evil or just plain stupid.

lazs

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Change or progress?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 09:47:45 AM »
Change is inevitable. Progress is a matter of perspective.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
Change or progress?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 10:22:51 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
all progress requires change but not all change is progress unless.....

You can  have progress toward something evil or just plain stupid.

lazs

Originally posted by AKIron
Change is inevitable. Progress is a matter of perspective.

I agree, if you have an evil or stupid goal, then you can progress towards it.  Progress is, indeed, a matter of perspective.

I keep hearing in the political news that some are calling for a change.  I do not hear them calling for change with a goal of progress in the betterment of the nation.

I fear the only change they are looking for is a donkey or elephant drawing the paycheck of a particular office.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:32:07 AM by 2Slow »
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL