Author Topic: who made the best cc weapons in WW2?  (Read 6594 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
who made the best cc weapons in WW2?
« Reply #255 on: January 09, 2008, 10:24:39 PM »
Originally posted by SIG220
That was not my point.  He was claiming that throwing the empty clips could make a ping sound, which is ridiculous.

SIG 220

No, it is NOT ridiculous. My Dad did exactly that, in World War II and Korea. It's all in HOW you throw the clip. And it DOES work. You snap the clip from your fingers.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline SIG220

• Nickel Member
« Reply #256 on: January 09, 2008, 10:37:22 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
No, it is NOT ridiculous. My Dad did exactly that, in World War II and Korea. It's all in HOW you throw the clip. And it DOES work. You snap the clip from your fingers.

OK, point taken.   I've only had experience with the M14, and admit that I have never shot a Garand.

I still find it amazing that soldiers would even attempt to do this.  Battles are not fought one on one.

SIG 220

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #257 on: January 10, 2008, 01:09:51 AM »
The other factor in this debate is the .40 S&W cartridge, which no one has mentioned.

It offers both larger caliber than a 9mm, but close to the same capacity.   A gun that carries 17 rounds in 9mm will typically hold 15 .40 S&W rounds.

Police forces here in the USA are overwhelmingly going with the .40 S&W, since the FBI adopted it as their standard.  

The .40 S&W offers the best of both worlds, in my opinion.

Only extremely manly men like myself shoot the .45 ACP.  However, even I now own a .40 S&W also, since you get can much more compact and lighter guns in that caliber to carry.

SIG 220

Just speaking for myself, I sidestepped the .40 S&W in this because It was originally an argument about two of the main Pistol/Sub-machine gun rounds' of WWII- the .45ACP, and the 9mm Parabellum.

The .30 carbine round is a welcome inclusion, though. And somebody was asking for ballistics' on the 7.62x25 Tokarev round, as was used in the TT30, M-N revolver, and I believe all of the Soviet burp-guns.

7.62mm Tokarev (7.62x25mm) -- 85 gr FMJ, 1550 fps, 453 ftlbs. Sellier & Bellot

It's modern commercial western manufacture, I don't know if that load data is the same for a WWII Russian manufactured round. BTW, that round is not used in the Nagant revolver, it uses a 7.62x38.

This guy has some interesting data on quite a few different ammunition types:http://www.geocities.com/alancook.geo/ammo.htm

This ones' all in Metric, but pretty comprehensive:http://scottgs.dynip.com/pictures/Firearms/Reloading/General%20Cartridge%20Information%20and%20Metric%20Ballistics.htm
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 01:17:15 AM by FrodeMk3 »

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2008, 03:22:08 AM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
Bullet weight, measured in grains, comes into play here.

Most early and standard 9mm. ball, or FMJ, rounds are around 115-125 grains. The .45 ACP FMJ weighs 230 grains, about twice as much. That extra weight translates' into more 'carry through' energy on-target.

BTW, a 9mm projectile measured in standard english measurement is about .357 of an inch. (So is a .38 special projectile; The reason for that goes' back to black-powder days). It may not seem like much, but when you increase the diameter of a .35 round circle by an extra .10 inch, it makes quite a difference.

As to the 5.56mm., In SAE measurement, it is known as a .223, or .22 if you don't want to be so picky with the micrometer. The theory behind the 5.56mm, ever since It wa introduced in the late '50's, is that a 55-grain bullet travelling at 3,500-4,000 FPS would cause wounding, without necessarily killing, Enemy soldiers. DoD studies' had come to the conclusion that a wounded Man was better than a dead one, because wounds' required battlefield medics, Doctors, and nurses to care for him. It was theorized that the logistics' of manpower dedicated to medical support for enemy forces' would be an enormous advantage. Plus, It was also estimated that the average combat-load per soldier could be tripled with the smaller, lighter ammo; Soldiers' that had previously carried about 100 rounds of 7.62mm NATO could now carry something like 300 rounds' of 5.56mm, which also helped improve the logistical situation in the field. It turned out that there were quite a few reasons' to switch.

That made sense! And the 45's quite a bit heavier, never thought it would be so much! So it is a king of total energy. That will also help with penetration even with slower speed. Theory holds.
So, my Tommygun goes on top of the list :D

And BTW, M1 Garand does make a ping when the clip goes out.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #259 on: January 10, 2008, 04:23:02 AM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
Bullet weight, measured in grains, comes into play here.

Most early and standard 9mm. ball, or FMJ, rounds are around 115-125 grains. The .45 ACP FMJ weighs 230 grains, about twice as much. That extra weight translates' into more 'carry through' energy on-target.

It's interesting how in these discussions concerning the favorite calibers of americans turns into arguments that keep turning around. Now it's suddenly the weight that wins. When it's about the .50 caliber versus 20mm argument it's about the velocity. Funny. I don't know about your stand over the .50 vs. 20mm argument, but that was my general observation based on the replies to this thread of the .45 vs. 9mm.

the "carry through energy" is also dependant on the diameter and velocity of the round. The diameter that "might not seem much" does also apply to the "carry through energy". The velocity of 9mm round (*pay attention to velocities - bullets could been loaded for SMG or pistol in mind) is considerably higher than .45's.

Some hundred year ago, when choosing the bullet type for the US army, a test was conducted between .45, 9mm and 7.65mm calibers. The "carry through energy" was from the worst to the best respectively. (IIRC they favored the 9mm, but in the end the .45 was chosen over the recommendation.)

If you want to punch through a bullet vest, you'll go with the 9mm. I'd rather use .40 or .357 though.

Anyway, that's my take just on the "carry through energy".

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #260 on: January 10, 2008, 04:35:41 AM »
My Uncle was a Royal Marine Commando through the war. When asked he always said his favourite weapon of choice by far was the Thompson.

Followed by this.

...-Gixer

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #261 on: January 10, 2008, 04:40:15 AM »
Originally posted by Gixer
My Uncle was a Royal Marine Commando through the war. When asked he always said his favourite weapon of choice by far was the Thompson.

Not much of a choice there, when the competitor is the Sten gun :D

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #262 on: January 10, 2008, 07:06:54 AM »
Originally posted by Fishu
It's interesting how in these discussions concerning the favorite calibers of americans turns into arguments that keep turning around. Now it's suddenly the weight that wins. When it's about the .50 caliber versus 20mm argument it's about the velocity. Funny. I don't know about your stand over the .50 vs. 20mm argument, but that was my general observation based on the replies to this thread of the .45 vs. 9mm.

the "carry through energy" is also dependant on the diameter and velocity of the round. The diameter that "might not seem much" does also apply to the "carry through energy". The velocity of 9mm round (*pay attention to velocities - bullets could been loaded for SMG or pistol in mind) is considerably higher than .45's.

Some hundred year ago, when choosing the bullet type for the US army, a test was conducted between .45, 9mm and 7.65mm calibers. The "carry through energy" was from the worst to the best respectively. (IIRC they favored the 9mm, but in the end the .45 was chosen over the recommendation.)

If you want to punch through a bullet vest, you'll go with the 9mm. I'd rather use .40 or .357 though.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings here, but neither 9MM, 40 Short and Weak, nor 357 Magnum, will reliably penetrate even a IIA (pronounced two A)vest, especially not with a trauma plate. There is a slim chance that a hot +P+ 357 Magnum may penetrate. A level IIIA vest will stop a 240 grain 44 Magnum round. A level IIIA is standard issue for law enforcement. Standard issue for the military is IV, rated to stop a 30-06.

The vest ratings are from the NIJ (National Institute of Justice) and are pretty reliable.

You can up the bullet weight and get penetration in some cases. For example, IF you can find a 147 grain load hot enough, you MIGHT get 9MM to go through a IIA. You can now buy 44 Magnum ammunition that will penetrate IIIA, since some companies now load 300 grain bullets. In STANDARD carry guns, 10MM is the most likely to defeat body armor. The rating standard is a 100% stop, and the rounds are fired over a chronograph. Note that it is rare, unless dealing with true custom high end loads, to get a standard store bought weapon to reach the velocity ratings found on a box of ammunition. Most are around 100 feet per second short, if not more.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:18:01 AM by Captain Virgil Hilts »
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #263 on: January 10, 2008, 08:06:40 AM »
yep.. we are getting all mixed up here with WWII and military ammo in general and what is used out on the mean ol streets of the USA and what myths are flying around.

There was nothing but ball ammo in WWII.. on the street.. mostly hollow points, some good some bad in design rein.  The only thing that they have in common is that you mostly were/are lucky to hit any part of the person you shot at.

In WWII it was best to have 2800 fps with a 30 caliber or better or... if you got down to the 1,000 fps range.. the bigger the bullet the better.. in the small bullets you wanted to create hydrostatic shock.. that ALMOST always happens in a huge way at speed near 2000 fps or so..   not so much at the lower speeds..

for pistols and sub guns.. you will be better off....  9 times out of ten.. with the bigger, slower round.

on the street.. not so much.   We have gotten exotic.   expansion that is fairly reliable    fairly being the operative word.. you still only get to hit whatever you are lucky enough to hit..   with a small round.. 22, 32, 9mm.. it may or may not expand.   if it doesn't.. it will make a small hole and.. most likely just keep going into a car or a wall or whatever..

The big round.. the 44 or 45.. no matter what.. even if it fails to expand... it makes a big hole and expends most of it's energy in the target..  Target makes it sound to easy tho.. like some paper shooting match.. the "target" is normally not even being sighted in at..  snap shots.

The advantage to the big bullet is.. any hit makes a big hole and sucks up energy.. the advantage to the small bullet is that fast recovery from recoil and quick follow up shots.

I have loaded 44 mags to penetrate  level II and III vests.. it is not difficult but.. they don't expand.. they are solids.   follow up shots are not easy for the average person.

lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #264 on: January 10, 2008, 08:17:24 AM »
but.. I have shot the garand and the smle and the 98 mauser and nagant rifles a lot.. own em... I would chose the garand over all of em without hesitation.

The smle is the least accurate of all of em to me.   Also one of the easiest to work the bolt.

sig.. the clip "Pings" when it leaves the gun not when it hits the ground.

I believe that the clip was not a problem with the garand.. you can load a clip at least twice as fast as you can change a mag..  the problem with the clip was that it was 8 rounds instead of ten say and that it was difficult to top off...

If you shoot a few rounds and then have a break.. what do you do?  do you dump the whole clip and load another and now have a bunch of loose rounds or.. do you just go into battle with less rounds or.. try to load loose ammo into the gun to top it off?

Still... for sustained fire the clip is extremely fast to reload..  nothing is faster from last shot to first new shot.   as it fires the last shot the clip ejects... the bolt stays open on the last shot.. you don't do anything but jam a new fat clip into a large opening.. have you seen the slot for the "clips" for bolt guns?  tiny.   and.. you have to open the bolt on the last shot yourself.

As you jam home the garand clip... it seats and... the bolt stays back until you take your hand off the loaded clip.. quickly... or you will get hit with the bolt (m1 thumb).   mostly.. ya gotta give the operating rod a slap to make sure the first round is chambered and you are good to go with 8 more as fast as you can squeeze the trigger.

lazs

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #265 on: January 10, 2008, 08:31:28 AM »
Originally posted by Fishu

.45 wasn't chosen on a whim, nor a Manly "Bigger is better" spiel.

.45 was chosen because it WOULD knock down and kill coked out Filipinos.  All those rounds you espouse didn't even tickle them.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #266 on: January 10, 2008, 10:07:15 AM »
Dont know if its the best cc weapon, but the MP44 is by far the best and most effective looking weapon.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #267 on: January 10, 2008, 11:37:20 AM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
You have no idea who Fackler is, do you?:rolleyes:

I have a passing knowledge of the man, and while I don’t doubt his expertise as a military doctor I must question his knowledge on nannying European legislation and the intricacies of the French cheese industry. However since Dr. Fackler isn’t European that is not surprising. Now, some might think that statement is a bit weird so I will explain it in more detail: Let’s review Dr. Fackler’s criticisms of the Strasbourg Tests:

CHAPTER 4 -- "Strasbourg Goat Tests." Here Marshall and Sanow reproduced the aforementioned anonymous "Strasbourg Tests." In analyzing these purported test results, Marshall and Sanow found an "extremely high rank correlation" with their very own "actual street results." Interestingly, if we compare the shot trajectories in the purported "Strasbourg Tests" with that of the most common shots in humans, we find:

A bullet fired into a goat from side to side, above the heart and behind the shoulder, will pass through or very near the major pulmonary vessels at a penetration depth of three to five inches, and must pass through the mediastinum, either near or through other very large blood vessels.

Conversely, with a shot passing front to back in the human torso, most bullets do not pass near or through the aorta or vena cava until more than six inches of penetration depth in a small slender person and at greater penetration depth in a larger person, or if penetrating at a significant angle.

Due to human anatomy, most shots from the front do not come near major blood vessels. Most go through perforating just lungs near their periphery or just loops of bowel.

Given these facts, the near perfect correlation of Marshall's random torso "one-shot stops" with the purported goat shot results is strong evidence that the anonymous "Strasbourg Test" results have been fabricated or doctored; or the "one-shot stop" results have, or both have.

Some might argue that the "Strasbourg Test" results could be from a real experiment; but one planned with incredible incompetence.

Dr. Fackler seems to be criticizing that the goats were shot from the side and trough both lungs, and also that the bullet would pass through or near major pulmonary vessels. According to the test document one of the main purposes of the test was to observe the effect of systemic shock to the cardiac/vascular system obviously requiring the bullet to pass through or near major blood vessels.

Secondly, he seems to be ignorant of European nannying laws regulating how animals may be killed with firearms. Shooting through both lungs is in fact the only legal way to shoot medium and large sized animals in Europe, requiring a side or front quarter shot. This is of course to minimize the risk of having wounded game animals wandering around the wilderness for hours or days before succumbing to their wounds. Unless the testing company got special legal dispensations (unlikely), the test was done in the only way it could have been done legally.

Thirdly the tests were not done to find the absolute stopping power of a cartridge, but the relative stopping power. In other words the test result for one cartridge is meaningless by itself. The result is only relevant relative to the results of the other cartridges. In this context it is really irrelevant how the animal is shot as long as all shots are made in a scientifically consistent way. The bullet that does more tissue damage to the goat’s lungs will cause the animal to drown in its own blood faster. No correlation to human targets were done in the tests except for the choice of animal (goats are popular as human analogues in military testing).

A few things, however, do not ring true: for example, they mention great difficulty in finding enough goats for the study. Yet, strangely, each of the more than 600 goats found purportedly weighed within four pounds of 160 pounds. Anybody familiar with large animal experimentation realizes that here Marshall and Sanow apparently fell into another "too good to be true" trap.

Here I suspect Dr. Fackler is deliberately being obtuse or misleading. France is the world’s biggest cheese producer and has hundreds of thousands of registered dairy goats in milk production; the total goat population may very well be in the millions. The testing body set a number of strict parameters on the acceptable attributes of the test animals (size, weight, deceases etc.) to ensure minimal variances in test results from different animals. They did apparently have difficulty in finding 600 goats that fit the parameters. However, Dr. Fackler turns this around and wants us to believe that the testing body had problems finding 600 goats in all of France (lol), and that it is “strange” that they all weighed within four pounds of 160 pounds.

Authors are often very competitive, and sometimes takes great offence when a rival author publishes data that conflicts with theirs. Unfortunately this seems to be the case with Dr. Fackler as well since he goes to great lengths to insinuate that his rivals are liars and frauds. Dr. Fackler is rude and unprofessional in his comments and criticisms…

The only people who think the "Strasbourg Tests" are real are the usual crowd of crackpot "magic bullet" believers and the pathetically incompetent editors of consumer gun magazines like Guns & Ammo. I suppose we'll soon see anonomous{sic} reports "proving: that Elvis is alive and conducting one shot stop experiments on unicorns. And, of course, someone will believe that too.”

- Dr. Fackler

… and obviously cannot refute the Strasbourg tests without resorting to irrelevancies and insults.

Dr. Martin Fackler immediately started crying "Fraud!" and issuing encyclicals about "bullet salesmen." He and his IWBA minions had been heaping scorn and derision upon Evan Marshall and Edwin Sanow since they had had the temerity to publish the first of three successful volumes about Handgun Stopping Power.

What was especially ironic was that Dr. Fackler, with a high level of access, never once allowed as how goat testing was popular in the military community, nor mentioned that this was the type of thing which might have been done at the Institut Saint Louis near Strasbourg, France. He preferred, it seems, to huff and puff, posture and rattle sabers.”

- Dean Speir, author of over 600 articles in periodicals such as Guns Magazine, Combat Handguns, Petersen's Handguns, American Handgunner, The New Gun Week, Gun & Shooter, Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement, Shooting Industry, American Firearms Industry, Machine Gun News, Practical Shooting International, Law Enforcement Technology, Police Product News, the late lamented The American Guardian, The Shotgun News, Germany's Visier, various DBI Books, and, in a misguided moment, even Women & Guns.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #268 on: January 10, 2008, 11:38:55 AM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
Now I will admit, I didn't know there were still armies out there equipping infantry with SMGs other then I thought probably the Israelis did. That is interesting, why does your nation chose to do this? (honestly curious here, if you don’t want to pollute the thread more feel free to PM )Gs?

The Norwegian army’s primary infantry weapon is the AG-3 (Norwegian version of the H&K G-3). The AG-3 is chambered for the 7.62 NATO round and although it is selective fire the recoil of full auto fire is excessive. Over penetration of the 7.62 round is also a problem in urban combat and a hazard to friendly forces. The Ag-3 also only has a 20 round magazine and is over a metre long. In what we call “sharp missions” or better translated as “live fire missions” the AG-3 is supplemented with MP-5’s in units that operate in urban areas.

Norwegian soldier with MP-5 in Kosovo.

Norwegian soldier with AG-3 in Afghanistan.

The AG-3 is on its way out of service with our army, soon being replaced with the H&K 416 in 5.56N. This will reduce if not eliminate the use of the MP-5 in the infantry. As you mentioned, It will of course continue to be used by vehicle crews, military police and in other support roles.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #269 on: January 10, 2008, 11:39:38 AM »
One would not want to shoot the .30-06 round full auto from a lightweight gun.

SIG 220

That depends on your definition of “lightweight” in this context. The .30-06 and its replacement the 7.62 NATO are fully controllable from a full auto battle rifle in a prone position with a bipod. The Germans even made machinegun versions of the G-3 battle rifle.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 11:49:24 AM by Viking »