Author Topic: War birds Vs Us  (Read 4482 times)

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
Re: Re: Re: War birds Vs Us
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 01:38:28 PM »
Originally posted by MajIssue
I am interested in what your conclusions are dhyran... could you expand on your post with specifics?

Thanks in advance

no, sorry,

it just took enough time and effort to do it, trying, testing dicussing, i would need hours to explain it in the full closer look up. So if you like to meet me at the eurocon, we can have some beer and i can explain it all :rolleyes: :)

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
Re: Re: Re: War birds Vs Us
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 01:43:45 PM »
Originally posted by 5PointOh
And his trust slightly smaller sidekick ZoosCrew:aok

:aok :aok :aok :aok :aok
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 02:27:28 PM »
I was an active WB pilot when HT and Pyro were bought out by iEN.  That was way back in 1998?  I'm not sure.  Maybe earlier than that.  Besides the fact that the community entered a general state of panic, there was a noticeable change in how the product was developed and managed.  You really got the feeling that the new ownership did not appreciate that it had bought a high-fidelity flight simulator, and instead viewed the product as mere entertainment like other computer games.  Wildbill was laughable in his attempts to convince the player-base that he cared about the same things they did, and that he understood force-based flight models just as well as HT.  It is a long, sad story.

Ironically, one thing that really seemed to drive people away from WB was something I really liked: the rolling plane set.  The whining and wailing was insufferable.  Consequently, AH suffers from the same defect as the original WB: the utter lack of use of its mid-war and early-war aircraft.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 02:33:06 PM »
Originally posted by Anaxogoras
I was an active WB pilot when HT and Pyro were bought out by iEN.  That was way back in 1998?  I'm not sure.  Maybe earlier than that.  Besides the fact that the community entered a general state of panic, there was a noticeable change in how the product was developed and managed.  You really got the feeling that the new ownership did not appreciate that it had bought a high-fidelity flight simulator, and instead viewed the product as mere entertainment like other computer games.  Wildbill was laughable in his attempts to convince the player-base that he cared about the same things they did, and that he understood force-based flight models just as well as HT.  It is a long, sad story.

Ironically, one thing that really seemed to drive people away from WB was something I really liked: the rolling plane set.  The whining and wailing was insufferable.  Consequently, AH suffers from the same defect as the original WB: the utter lack of use of its mid-war and early-war aircraft.

I think that the Eary-War and Mid-War solves that problem for those who really want to "fly" within those time frames, and not jam it down the throats of those who don't want to "fly" within those time frames.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 02:35:19 PM »
the utter lack of use of its mid-war and early-war aircraft.

We have the Early War dedicated arena, Mid War dedicated arena, Late war dedicated arena, and rolling planesets in the AvA.

Utter lack I'd have to disagree with :)

They are there, it's up to the players to take advantage of it, nothing any code will fix.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 02:36:56 PM »
the utter lack of use of its mid-war and early-war aircraft.
===
Addressed with the Early War and Mid War arenas....

It seems about as good a situation as your going to get.  RPS was great but I think HTC really found the best compromise with the E, M and L war arena concept.  The nice thing about it is that no planes from earlier arenas are disabled as you progress through to late war.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 03:01:45 PM »
Originally posted by Anaxogoras
Consequently, AH suffers from the same defect as the original WB: the utter lack of use of its mid-war and early-war aircraft.

I fly many EW and MW planes in the LWA's, as do many others.  It's not the utter lack of use as much as the utter lack of skill for many to even try these planes and I don't really blame them.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 06:17:09 PM »
In the earliest versions of WB there was a mid-war arena, but it was mostly used once the late-war arena was full.  So the way AH has things set up isn't anything new.

As for ramming things down the throat, the argument can be reversed to say that early/mid war fans have the late-war arena shoved down their throats, because it's the only place where you can consistently find a fight.  That's just logic.:cool:

I'm not calling for a RPS for AH, I know the majority wouldn't like it.  But it's a nice example of how the majority is rigid and won't branch out and try the unfamiliar, all the while saying "it's my $15," "I like the P51D so get lost," etc.  I like all the stages of the war, they are all fun... It is doubtlessly for the good of all WW2 sim pilots to try all stages of the war; most never will....but now I'm really digressing to a different topic than the original thread.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline ABDCWOT

• Nickel Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 08:17:11 AM »
SHEEP

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 08:33:33 AM »
(DeForrest Kelly Voice On)

RPS is............... he's..... .........gasp,cough,.......Dammit Jim its DEAD!

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 08:43:42 AM »
Friday Squad Operations
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 12:35:28 PM »
Well there's a rolling plane set now in the Axis Vs. Allies arena and personally I love it. It provides a great challange, and judging from my squad, we're there to stay!

It's a great change, and actually makes GOOD use of the AvA now.
Rolling Thunder

Offline Skull-1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 01:10:57 PM »
- Hit sprites in WBs are better.

- Ack is better.

- Scoring is better.

- Fifty Calibers are better.

- Maps are better.

- Bomb fuse settings rule.

- Kills are more of a challenge there--one hit doesn't blow the whole wing off.

_________

Everything else in WBs is lame.

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2008, 04:08:02 PM »
Originally posted by Skull-1
[B- Fifty Calibers are better.

- Kills are more of a challenge there--one hit doesn't blow the whole wing off.

_________

Everything else in WBs is lame. [/B]

I'm assuming you're talking about the 6X50's on the pony D? Of course they're better, they're freakin lasers! There's NO dispersion whatsoever, and that allows you to take off parts (mainly the entire elevator) in one short burst at D15 (1.5K).

Seems silly to me, to be drilling planes a mile out with convergences that insane. As far as 1 hit blowing off the wing, you're correct. That's because WB's doesn't model the HE shells of most cannons in the game. Instead a few .50's takes off the elevator. Which is just as good as taking off the wing.

WB's was very frustrating to play with it's flight models and damage models. That's why i'm here. =)
Rolling Thunder

Offline JimmyZ

• Zinc Member
War birds Vs Us
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2008, 05:46:43 PM »
I miss "Otto" calling out con locations on text and covering you while in the bombsight. Oh and there was absolutely nothing better than busting up a vulchfest by upping the "Blood Dragons".:D
484th (BGH) Anything with less than 4 engines is a fighter.:D
AHXARL: USMC/71 Racing team

CTHULHU 2008 "Why vote for the "lesser" evil?"