Author Topic: You got your mini MA..  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2008, 04:45:54 PM »
I think that's awesome. Seems like the setup is growing on people and that's a great thing!

Hopefully someone steps up as Allied Commander. I'd do it but I have no knowledge base to add and I'm afraid there'd be some serious ownage from TK and the Axis side.

Not that i'm afraid of getting owned, I just would hate to have allied pilots shooting at me as well as axis ones!
Rolling Thunder

Offline XAKL

• Copper Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2008, 09:40:21 PM »
Why don't we have one of the Staffers as the interim acting Commander until someone steps up.  I also believe having one Commander is pointless because that person can't play all the time.  You need to have XO, and start a chain of command..etc....etc...

For the Staffers you've got to introduce new planes every other day.  Dragging this war with limited set of planes will kill this arena.

Offline DaddyAck

• Silver Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2008, 01:38:40 AM »
If I remember right, I think more planes will be added over time in accordance with how quickly the objectives are met by either side.  But it is stated in the write up how the planes will be introduced.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2008, 06:00:10 PM »
I'm not even back in the game, yet, and I got Larry (Truekill? Really?) pegged as lonely, misuderstood and starved for attention. Anyone else wouldn't drag out a stage death to three full acts. :D

p.s. How can you be Axis C.O. when you surrendered the first ten seconds into the war? :cool:

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2008, 06:09:32 PM »
The numbers were a little unsettling. Although I agree its not what the AvA should be I do applaud the effort of the staff. I will not blast the effort but it has turned into a little MA. I am not the one to say it is good or bad. That being said I do not like it. I will continue the effort of flying 6 v 20 only for the pure enjoyment of CRUSHING THE HORDE. The ANTI_HORDE has found its way into the AVA.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2008, 06:29:46 PM »
Jamusta,

I've been in this AvA war when the bish are the hoard and when the rook are the hord and lucky enough when the big numbers were even. So isnt it a bit schisophrenic to compalin about "HOARDS"? The numbers are extreamly fluid if you have a bit of pateince to wait for the shift to even or your favor.

So are you only complaining about hoard when it's not your side thats the hoard? Same question to all of you complaining about the hoard. I noticed no one from the bish complaining when they were 25 to 12 and rolling over the rook defence with impunity. I learned to hate AM6 and 109E back shooters during that. An hour later sides evened up and I was killing AM6 and 109E again. Oh! and no one on the JG54 complained on 200 that the sides were uneven while they stomped the rooks to the curb.

If this is a war with objectives, then doesn't that then dictate we fly as if we are at war? Pigs on the Wing agreed to fly allies. We have caught our fair share of hoard. But we keep upping and fighting. Isn't that the real test of honor and game play?

We gave our word
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2008, 06:37:25 PM »
Bustr the fact that you would mention that shows you are not in AvA much when I am. I switch sides repeatedly to even numbers so i deserve the right to complain. I assure you that if it 25 to 12 in favor for axis I am allied.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2008, 06:52:28 PM »
Thats ok we didn't have a choice and weathered the hoard thinking it is part of the requiremnt of this war. Or so that was out of understanding  what we signed up to do. Stay on one side for the duration of the war. Or did we misunderstand the original request by the war creators?

So for this war are we supposed to sign on to a side for the duration? Or can we hop over to the bish when it's 25 to 12 to give our kesters a rest from the 20mm whoopin they take? My squad took a vote on which side to sign up knowing we could get hoarded at times based on the war rules we thought we read.

It's not always a picnic leaving all 2600 .303 in  enemy planes or all my .50 on snap shots running from multiple AM6 and having to run home with no kills. This seems to parallel some of the allied frustrations in 1940-41.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2008, 07:04:58 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
I'm not even back in the game, yet, and I got Larry (Truekill? Really?) pegged as lonely, misuderstood and starved for attention. Anyone else wouldn't drag out a stage death to three full acts. :D

p.s. How can you be Axis C.O. when you surrendered the first ten seconds into the war? :cool:

Hmm, if you're not even in the game, but come here to post about people who are... Maybe your attention starved Arlo.:p

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2008, 07:04:58 PM »
Well now im confused. I was just told in ava after switching that i cant switch back for 40 min. Is this true. And if we are suppose to be on 1 side for duration then I will shut me trap. and go back axis

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2008, 07:20:36 PM »
That is a problem Jamusta, I don't see the harm in being able to switch sides quicker. It would help those interested in balancing out the arena do so. I know some may worry about spies, but sometimes the side balance gets out of whack quickly. It might be better to allow switching say at 10 mins?

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2008, 07:25:33 PM »
I think the point of signing up for a side was to kind of curb the switching, and give a "team" feel to things. Though I'm always happy when someone switches to make the teams more even...I do understand if they don't.

After all it's what we signed up for. Stay flying for your side, earn the medals you deserve. I certainly won't complain about the uneveness, you just have to fly smarter and have better SA.

I'd hope that spying would be something we wouldn't see here.
Though that might be a lofty expectation. =)
Rolling Thunder

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2008, 07:55:52 PM »
Originally posted by Shifty
Hmm, if you're not even in the game, but come here to post about people who are... maybe [you're] attention starved, Arlo.:p

Well ... could be. But I believe my drama isn't nearly as overcompensational. :D

"You people here are all 'doody-heads' for trying this. I'm disgusted and leaving!"

"And I'm still disgusted ..."

"And still disgusted ... "

"Don't tell me to move on .... "

"I'm just flat disgusted .... "

"I volunteer to be Axis C.O.!"

Hmmmmm .... maybe I could pull it off!

:D

Offline 68falcon

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2008, 07:59:48 PM »
I also was under the impression that once you signed to a side you stayed with that side. How are they going to award medals and such if everyone keeps jumping around?
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
You got your mini MA..
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2008, 08:21:38 PM »
I would suggest making all such event designs somewhat fluid rather then rigid .... requiring less rigid thought process in certain aspects of design, anyhow (for practical reasons). The war can still be won or lost by one side or the other but the players can still move about and the medals can be awarded for specific achievements on either side. This leaves room for both the conventional wargamer, who could pick a side, even a unit (for a time) and stay statically immersed to try to enjoy a specific "character career" (if you will) ... and ... the player who wants to experience some diversity throughout the campaigns as they unfold (perhaps even being the sort who volunteers to switch sides, for balance sake, on a regular basis anyhow and merely enjoys the game for it's mere dogfighting qualities).

I don't really see pre-registration for the entire event as critical as, say, a good design involving an evolving war. Have what the players do in game affect the industrial and development aspects of their opponent's side as each month (or season or year) of the war unfolds (in each theater). Bombing certain factories could slow production .... or create a setback in developing the next fighter or bomber or tank to be released. The factories can be delegated for specific duties by the command groups (of course, in secrecy and, most probably, selected due to their difficulty in attacking). Command groups could also dedicate limited information gathering resources to determine the best strategic targets to attack (this could be simulated between groups utilizing online random number "dice" generators for success in determining precidely what factory is working on what).

Personal glory can be custom designed to the player's desire. If they are dedicated to making it a win for the Allies or the Axis, their uniform reflects ... well ... uniformity in it's salad. If they are more dedicated to being the ones who fill in (granted, having pretty much no access to the upper level of strategy for one side or the other) then their salad is mixed (tossed, if you will).

Sure, as illustrated, any player that plays "balancer" or prefers such diversity should say so from the beginning and not be part of the command structure or planning group of either side .... and .... conversely .... all players who want to have a role in developing the tactics and strategy of either side should remain loyal to it (unless a "turncoat and traitor" aspect is to actually be incorporated into play).

Argh. So much for kibitzing from the sidelines. Go Navy! :D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 08:43:55 PM by Arlo »