Author Topic: Bomb arming vs altitude  (Read 881 times)

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
Bomb arming vs altitude
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:13:38 PM »
Here's a question for all you 11lb brains out there.  If a bomb needs to travel 1000 feet to arm up, one would think that you would need to be at least 1k above the target.  Does airspeed effect the distance which the bomb travels?  Can I drop a bit lower if I am going fast enough so the bomb will travel 1k feet? If so is there a quick estimation of airspeed vs altitude?

thanks
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Bomb arming vs altitude
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:15:42 PM »
When I am bombing in my 234 I usually drop at 600. I think speed does play a role in the bomb arming.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Bomb arming vs altitude
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »
I think as long as the bomb travels 1000ft through the air then it will blow when it hits the ground. So, yes, you can drop at lower alt if you're going faster.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Bomb arming vs altitude
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 07:30:20 PM »
Bombs do travel further in the horizontal, the faster your plane is travelling. You can even toss bombs by flying at high speed and releasing them while in a slight climb. I'm not aware of any tables calculating this, but it could be done. The formulas aren't terribly complex, but I can't remember what they are for the life of me.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Bomb arming vs altitude
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »
I've released 500lb bombs off of an A-20 from less than 100 feet AGL before, and had them detonate.  I was doing in excess of 250mph IAS, pitched back about 10 degrees and lofted them in.  

You may be able to find some of the loft bombing formulas on the web.  Its pretty much a simple ballistics exercise (geometry).

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
Bomb arming vs altitude
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:13:07 PM »
Originally posted by SpikesX
When I am bombing in my 234 I usually drop at 600. I think speed does play a role in the bomb arming.

As in the case above isn't that altitude shown in yards not feet so therefore making it well above the 1000ft needed to arm ?

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Bomb arming vs altitude
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:36:08 PM »
Originally posted by Stoney74
Its pretty much a simple ballistics exercise (geometry).

indeed, but nobody has posted the math yet :)
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Bomb arming vs altitude
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 06:19:28 AM »
Originally posted by xbrit
As in the case above isn't that altitude shown in yards not feet so therefore making it well above the 1000ft needed to arm ?

Yes, I usually go in a shallow dive.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Bomb arming vs altitude
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 07:22:47 AM »
Yes speed makes a difference. And Yes angle makes a difference.

Diving in at a perfect 90 degrees you'll have to drop higher than you would dropping in at 45 or less. Bomb doesn't care what its orrientation is. As long as it has the time/distance from drop to impact to arm.

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
Bomb arming vs altitude
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 11:31:48 AM »
thats pretty much what I though.  Was looking for some rough estimate formula...perhaps I will try it off line for a bit and see what I can come up with.  I think acft type shouldn't be anissue...only speed and alt.
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Bomb arming vs altitude
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 12:20:31 PM »
Airspeed does affect it and is the primary component of the distance required to arm the bomb.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Bomb arming vs altitude
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »
Reminds me, is there some way to turn the crosshairs on in offline mode? That would be the simplest way to see how much of an effect speed and angle have on jabo runs, but I haven't seen a setting for it. Is it only available in the TA?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Bomb arming vs altitude
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 05:20:51 PM »
You'd need some basic calculus to determine the precise distance traveled based upon the initial speed, altitude and angle of release in conjunction with gravitational acceleration - a bit complicated although probably simpler than it would actually be in real life since I don't *believe* (I could be wrong) that air friction against the bomb is modeled in the game, which would introduce terminal velocity as a factor.    ( I believe this because your bombs dropped from any altitude always seem to travel exactly the same distance as you do, such that you are always directly over the bomb strike when it strikes. In reality, they should fall farther behind as they lose the forward momentum.)  

However, a quick and dirty calculation is easy - a very rudimentary approximation can be simply done from the pure dive angle using the formula minimum altitude = 1000*sin(dive angle)  - especially as dive angles tend to be fairly steep. A more precise approximation would be to resolve the velocity at the time of release into it's forward and downward components, and use the classic distance/time/acceleration formula s = ut + 1/2*a*(t)2  to determine time to impact, and then solve for the the distance traveled along both vectors between the initial release and the impact.

Someone who still remembers how to do calculus would have to give you the precise formula to account for the parabolic path, however, if you wanted "exactly exact".

Given that you don't know precisely your angle and only your approximate speed and altitude and only the approximate altitude of the target I'd say that the quick and dirty simple formula - i.e. at a 45 angle a release at 707 feet would cause the bomb to travel the requisite 1000 ft in order to arm, and at a 60' angle, 866 feet is required, etc.  is more than sufficient.

Although if you can judge your angle of approach, the altitude of your target,  and keep track of your altitude precisely enough to actually take advantage of knowing that the minimum altitude to release in a 60 degree dive is 866 ft not 1000 (or about 0.4 seconds at 250 mph, and you're likely going faster) and still drop on the target and not hit the ground along with your bomb, you're better than me...

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:51:17 PM by Ghastly »
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
Bomb arming vs altitude
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Reminds me, is there some way to turn the crosshairs on in offline mode? That would be the simplest way to see how much of an effect speed and angle have on jabo runs, but I haven't seen a setting for it. Is it only available in the TA?

I believe its in Arena options-->Flight mode flags->somewhere in there :confused:
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
~Hells Angels~
Solar10