Author Topic: Respect  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Respect
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 07:58:03 AM »
Let's all get along.... we should up from a CV in a good seaplane... say a P-40 with torps taped on and go drop them on the closest town. We'll all be leet and equal. I have dibbs on the theater! I like to see the popcorn poping after a good hit.

PS do not forget your knife...... that duct tape is tough stuff.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline acfireguy26

• Nickel Member
      • FW
Respect
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 08:29:53 AM »
It really amazes me when I see what people type to others or say over vox in game. If these people were on the street and were that disrespectful and rude there would be alot of tardlets walking around with black eyes and knotted up cabages from the attitude adjustments they had received.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Respect
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 08:42:28 AM »
Respect in the game, and respect on the boards are two totally different things.

In the game I think there should be a certain level of respect displayed to each other. The mods are there....sometimes... to try and keep the peace, but I think there are a couple problems with them. There are not enough of them. Do we need to be baby sat 24/7? right now I'd have to say yes. Once things got back under control, most likely not.

To get thing under control there are two things needed from the mods. First, they have to be impartial. To many times I've seen one guy get mutted, and the other side continue on causing trouble. The second, they have to be willing to Piss "customers" off. This is something HTC would have to approve. If someone is continues to cause trouble the mod should be able to repeatedly boot someone to the point of suspending their account. Some 'bad apples" just aren't worth $15 a month.

If the penalty is strong enough, and given out consistently eventually people, even the kids, would learn what is acceptable.

The message boards are another problem. It is way to easy to hide behind a shade. If it were me, I'd wipe the membership clean and have everyone subscribe with their Call sign as there ID. This way people could be held "accountable" for their conduct. If you are not a subscriber to the game and there fore don't have an ID you would be locked out from ALL threads except one for people asking about the game.

Strict? maybe, but how many people leave the game due to running into the same "A" holes night after night? How many more people would sign up after their 2 weeks if there wasn't any "crap" spilling over on 200?

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Respect
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 08:45:33 AM »
Originally posted by acfireguy26
It really amazes me when I see what people type to others or say over vox in game. If these people were on the street and were that disrespectful and rude there would be alot of tardlets walking around with black eyes and knotted up cabages from the attitude adjustments they had received.
Ya know, that's what I was thinking.

Though early on in the game I tended to talk too much trash (cause I had nothing else), I realized that though some trash talking was expected, you still had to be respectful ("yo mama..." jokes aren't good).

I rethought my actions and decided I would act as if I was playing the game of Risk with someone.  Sure bravado and chest thumping is ok, but getting personal isn't and could lead to physical contact.

I have have wished many times I could be face to face with some of these clowns (esp the Ykdork guy).  I am guessing they would be talking so much trash then as they do through the protection of the internet..
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Respect
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 08:53:50 AM »
I am very cautious of the term "respect".

Firstly I have to note that respect as oft used in the US is totally different from the one that this  English boy was taught, but even then the term in the UK is now used quite differently to the extent that we have a political party of various extreme views called "Respect".

Respect as an honorific should be highly valued IMO and not cast about lightly or even granted to  (or removed from) a generality or massed group of individuals due to some percieved idea of what they are or how powerfull they may be.

If I respect some one I have come to know them first.

Certainly no one has the right (IMO) to demand respect.

All very vague stuff so lets move onto "consideration"

Well there is some out of date concept!!!! I can see most readers wondering where this guy came from? I mean we dont talk about this stuff any more do we ?........... we are much meaner, leaner, faster, folk now to concern our selves with such irrelvances as consideration.

We dont of course have to be "nice soldiers"  (tm ACCS) all the time. We can pursue the full gambit of banter , p taking and general derisery coments given and recieved in the spirit of comeradry that we may all aspire to share.

However I believe we can even than be considerate of how others may take what we type and whether it is actually appropriate in the circumstances. This does not mean that we have to live to rules of considerate behaviour......rules are inconsiderate IMO. What it means is we apply consideration to what we do.

What we do see is the average age of player steadily getting younger and we do have a growing share of "squeakers" playing the game. These less mature players show the full range of social maturity from OK young people to idiots who have yet to inter act out side the play ground.........

Further we have our share of so called adults who seem to be trapped in the mentality of  their school play ground and have morphed this view of life into every thing else they seem to participate in. This form of fellow player also has increased access to games such as AH.

So our community changes............ not with time, but over time due to increased access from other sectors of society and its various levels of maturity.

But a community it is.. and the best way to change it or preserve it is by example.

We all do inappropriate stuff from time to time, none of us can demand respect but maybe we can give by being considerate.

"ask not" etc etc
Ludere Vincere

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
Respect
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 09:00:15 AM »
Tilt,

I agree but....

Not to split hairs, the word that comes to my mind is "civility". In a competitive environment I feel courtesy as literally defined is a bit of a luxury.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Respect
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 09:14:13 AM »
Originally posted by Thruster
Tilt,

I agree but....

Not to split hairs, the word that comes to my mind is "civility". In a competitive environment I feel courtesy as literally defined is a bit of a luxury.

Well yes it is, good manners, courtesy, civility are all social strictures IMO.

There is no reason to deny them or enforce them they are gifted from the user and they can be subject to different definitions of appropriateness or even application.

They are forms of behaviour that may be subject to a rule set.

My point is that we do not have to subject our behaviour to rule sets if we are considerate of others in what we say and do. We merely have to say to our selves "will our actions cause inappropriate harm or offence" and be satisfied with the answer whilst being ready to change if it turns out we reached the wrong answer.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
Respect
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 09:40:02 AM »
My apologies, I suffer from the occasional tendency towards an odd kind of dyslexia where I see a word and somehow transpose another in it's place. Usually when I'm trying to point out some barely significant detail.

You never mentioned courtesy, and your point about the drift in the utility of certain terms is right on.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Respect
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 09:46:23 AM »
Originally posted by Tilt

My point is that we do not have to subject our behaviour to rule sets if we are considerate of others in what we say and do. We merely have to say to our selves "will our actions cause inappropriate harm or offence" and be satisfied with the answer whilst being ready to change if it turns out we reached the wrong answer.

Unfortunately some people aren't taught what is "inappropriate harm or offence". Should we have to be the teachers? We might

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Respect
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 10:02:35 AM »

Originally posted by Tilt

Originally posted by The Fugitive
Unfortunately some people aren't taught what is "inappropriate harm or offence". Should we have to be the teachers? We might

Everything I needed to know in life I learned in Kindergarten. Perhaps we should make some people repeat the low level schooling.

HiTech

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Respect
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2008, 10:06:52 AM »
internet communication has a odd way of perverting normal human behavior.   This board is ripe with examples but I am sure there are thousands of others just like it.

No doubt there is a clinical explanation for it, probably has alot to do with the lack of any real consequences for abhorrent behavior.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Respect
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2008, 10:11:34 AM »
Unfortunately, it does fall on those of us that have been in the game to control ourselves as well as try to help the newbs as a lot of the nasty posts are either replies to requests for help, or replies from the newbs thanking us for behaving like "A" holes.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
Respect
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2008, 10:11:48 AM »
So I assume everybody would rather I had towed the line and given a disingenuous "Sorry".

I wonder if he also went to everyone of his neighbors and coworkers and told them he wouldn't be around for a while because of his mother.

Respect is a two way street.  I don't feel these boards should be used for a personal diary.  Has anyone considered respecting others before they choose to post something.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
Respect
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2008, 10:14:36 AM »
It's been my experience (with the few exceptions), you get pretty much what you give.

The others are just ignored.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Angrist

• Nickel Member
Respect
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2008, 10:18:49 AM »
Originally posted by Yknurd
So I assume everybody would rather I had towed the line and given a disingenuous "Sorry".

Nope...you could have just as easily closed the thread and kept your thoughts to yourself.:aok