Author Topic: arena monsters  (Read 1676 times)

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
arena monsters
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
Just curious what the dominant planes are in the EW and MW arena?

Are they just the perked planes, or are there unperked birds that you feel should be perked and aren't.

I just figure there must be planes that you see alot of because of there speed, firepower, etc.

Thanks,

Boner
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
arena monsters
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:45:46 PM »
EW? Hurricane IIC.

Any plane with such a dominance in LW would have been perked long ago. In EW, it hasn't even ENY 5.

Edit:  

Tour 95, EW arena:

All kills by planes: 4161. Hurri IIC had 1401 of them (34%!). K/D 1.97!
Yet the horde can still fly it because of ENY 10.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:59:58 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
arena monsters
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 12:50:02 PM »
I have not encountered a dominat airplane in the MW.  shuff in the P38 is one I try to avoid and slapshot in F6F.  Those guys will shoot me down if I give them half a chance.

One thing that has dominated my experience in the MW as of late has been Guido77 who consistently warps so bad its seven shades past pathetic.   There are a few other guys that warp very predictably but none as bad as guido77.

edit: Hurrc2 dont bother me in MW, those guys are usualy of intermediate skill and can be avoided pretty easily.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:52:05 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
arena monsters
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:50:22 PM »
If you see a IIC a HO is in your future. :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
arena monsters
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 01:00:22 PM »
I still think the handling of the Hurricane and Bf110 are overmodeled in AH.  I don't have proof, but my gut feeling is that if the handling in AH is accurate then the Bf109 and Spitfire would have been reduced to secondline status as development focused on the Huricanes and Bf110s.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
arena monsters
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 01:39:32 PM »
Argh...I thought this was a thread about the Giant squid that used to be in the very center of the Pizza map in AHI :lol

To tell you the truth, Karnak, the thing is, People want to play the HurriIIC's game as it is in AH- Furballs' at less than 10k.

In real life, alot of Spit, 109, FW, P-51,47,38 fights' were higher-15, 20k. In the ETO, especially later in the war, they were centered around Buff formations' that flew as high as 30k. Take the AH HurriIIc up to 20k, and dogfight a Spit IX or an Me-109. The fight changes dramatically.

For that matter, if you want a giggle, challenge someone in the LW who usually flies nothing but LA-7's to a duel at one of the High-alt fields (15k). Take the fight up high, and watch what happens to the LA-7.

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
arena monsters
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 01:40:16 PM »
The 110, is a dump-truck, as far as handling.  Over-modeled, I think not.  As for the Hurricane, It was prized for its stability as a gun platform.  The thing is on rails until you get to within a razors breadth of a stall.  Over-modeled, maybe, but not by much.

The reason you see the Hurricane, and 110's at the top of the EW and MW choice lists is simple, FIREPOWER.  The thumb twitchers want to dispatch their foes quick, because they have little ACM skill.  95% of the time they couldn't last over 3 turns in an ACM engagement, so they HO for all their worth and hope their cannons will kill you before you kill them.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
arena monsters
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 02:07:38 PM »
Iron_Cross,

The Bf110 out rolls and out turns the Bf109. It out rolls and nearly out turns the Spitfire.  It is about as fast as either.

The Hurricane should be more stable, but should it roll that much better than the Spit and 109?  It has a 42ft wingspan to the Spit's 36ft and 109's 32ft.  It has cloth ailerons just like the Spit I.  Yet it suffers almost no roll penalty for speed.

As I said, I don't have proof, but these things just do not match the respective descriptions of WWII pilots who flew both the Spit and Hurri such a Stanford Tuck.  The Spit, which was supposedly so responsive like wearing a fighter is a unresponsive brick in AH whereas the Hurri which usually is only praised for being a stable gun platform is an absolute delight to fly.

Something just seems off to me.  But I have no proof.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
arena monsters
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 02:25:16 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Iron_Cross,

The Bf110 out rolls and out turns the Bf109. It out rolls and nearly out turns the Spitfire.  It is about as fast as either.

Do you think about what your typing before you type it? :rolleyes:

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
arena monsters
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 02:42:25 PM »
Originally posted by Motherland
Do you think about what your typing before you type it? :rolleyes:

Yes.  Do you?

And I am not talking about a Bf110G-2 compared to a Bf109K-4 compared to a Spitfire Mk XVI compared to a Hurricane Mk IIC.

I am talking about the respective fighters before we get the German and British decision to focus development on the Bf109 and Spitfire respectively.  I am talking about the Bf110C-4b compared to the Bf109E-4 compared to the Spitfire Mk Ia compared to the Hurricane Mk I.  The Hurricane Mk IIC compared to the Spitfire Mk Vb is also in question.

Stanford Tuck commanded 257 Squadron in 1940/41, flying Hurricane Mk Is and then Mk IICs.  When he was moved to command a three squadron wing in 1941 he was very happy to be back in Spitfires, specifically he was switching from Hurricane Mk IICs to Spitfire Mk Vbs, exactly the two we have in AH.  In AH is the Spit Vb significantly better than the Hurri IIC?  Is it better at all?

EDIT:

What do you think a Bf110 would perform like with the DB605 of the Bf109G-14 or K-4?  How about a Hurricane powered by a Merlin 66, 266 or Griffon 65?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 02:45:08 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
arena monsters
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 02:55:12 PM »

I am talking about the respective fighters before we get the German and British decision to focus development on the Bf109 and Spitfire respectively.  I am talking about the Bf110C-4b compared to the Bf109E-4 compared to the Spitfire Mk Ia compared to the Hurricane Mk I.  The Hurricane Mk IIC compared to the Spitfire Mk Vb is also in question.

When you word something like you did, you made it read like you were comparing the 110 to the 109 and the Spitfire. there was no clue at all in that sentence that vs. the Spit you were talking about the Hurricane.

The 110 does not outturn or outroll the 109E (though they are very close in roll rate). The Emil is faster up to about 17k and has a better climb rate.

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
arena monsters
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 02:56:10 PM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
Take the AH HurriIIc up to 20k, and dogfight a Spit IX or an Me-109. The fight changes dramatically.

For that matter, if you want a giggle, challenge someone in the LW who usually flies nothing but LA-7's to a duel at one of the High-alt fields (15k). Take the fight up high, and watch what happens to the LA-7.

The other day I was buff hunting and encountered a bish hurricane at 17k in the LWA.  I turned a few circles around him with my 190D just to see what would happen.  It got me laughing so hard I was almost blind sided by a 51D! :lol
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
arena monsters
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 03:01:49 PM »
Motherland,

In ever BoB scenrio and setup we ever do in AH, the Bf110 and Hurricane demolish the Spitfire and Bf109's K/D ratios.

Originally posted by Jappa52
The other day I was buff hunting and encountered a bish hurricane at 17k in the LWA.  I turned a few circles around him with my 190D just to see what would happen.  It got me laughing so hard I was almost blind sided by a 51D! :lol

So?  You are ignoring what I am talking about.  It wouldn't go nearly so easy for you if you replaced the Hurri's Merlin XX with a Merlin 61 or 70, or with a Griffon 65.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
arena monsters
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »
Motherland,

In ever BoB scenrio and setup we ever do in AH, the Bf110 and Hurricane demolish the Spitfire and Bf109's K/D ratios.

That would be for another reason then for roll rate and turn then. The 110 cannot do either better than the 109E.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
arena monsters
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 03:21:06 PM »
Motherland,

So?  You are ignoring what I am talking about.  It wouldn't go nearly so easy for you if you replaced the Hurri's Merlin XX with a Merlin 61 or 70, or with a Griffon 65.
:huh

...I thought the point of this was the aircraft as modeled in RL and in AH, not some fantasy paper-ship. He wasn't ignoring what you were talking about; He was giving an example of what I myself had pointed out earlier, e.g. That alt changes' things drastically. Did Stanford Tuck spend his whole RAF career in -5k furball's with Planes' of every nation in the conflict attacking him? I think not.  I'm fairly sure that he lasted as long as he did by keeping his aircraft in it's performance envelope-which tended to be higher than what we fly in AH, I believe.