Author Topic: Bomber Points  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Bomber Points
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:13:04 AM »
I am a fairly good Bomber Pilot in that I hit the target 8 out of 10 times in all the heavies and I kill cv's regularly. What I notice though is some people get much higher damage per sortie and accuracy than I do. Can anyone reveal the mysteries or why their scores are much higher. Is it what they Bomb. I assumed the strategic targets have most value. Is this correct?

Is there any data on how HTC values bomber targets in AH?
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Bomber Points
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:36:05 AM »
Originally posted by Yarbles
What I notice though is some people get much higher damage per sortie and accuracy than I do. Can anyone reveal the mysteries or why their scores are much higher. Is it what they Bomb. I assumed the strategic targets have most value. Is this correct?

Yes. Hitting strategic targets maximises your hit% and score, hitting fields wrecks it. Therefore bombing hit% is probably the least meaningful single stat in game.

For maximum scoring effect, attack cities with large bombs ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Bomber Points
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:47:58 AM »
How about HQ and Ships?

Are cities better than Factories but factories better than fields and where do the above come in this?

I like the way score leans toward the strategic as otherwise this tyoe of Bombing might be overlooked. The ideal sortie I suppose is Lancs where you set a route and exit sttrategy which does not involve firing you guns?
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Bomber Points
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 08:48:25 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Yes. Hitting strategic targets maximises your hit% and score, hitting fields wrecks it. Therefore bombing hit% is probably the least meaningful single stat in game.

For maximum scoring effect, attack cities with large bombs ;)

Here's what you do. Take one Lancaster with one 4k bomb. Drop only the 4k bomb on the town or city or some factory and rtb.

Let me warn you in the end it is meaningless and you will go back to doing what you enjoy, and that seems to be bombing cvs and bases.

For me, there is nothing better than helping and working with my squadies.

This should be in the wish list. I would like to see the scoring different. Obviously, bases are more important than the factories in the game. The scoring should reflect that.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:51:46 AM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Bomber Points
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:50:20 AM »
Think singular lanc with big uns or stuka time on innocent civilians at the city.   Then re-arm two or three times so it counts as the same sortie.  So in 3 drops you could kill 60 buildings hence over inflated hit %.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Bomber Points
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 08:57:51 AM »
Originally posted by Bruv119
Think singular lanc with big uns or stuka time on innocent civilians at the city.   Then re-arm two or three times so it counts as the same sortie.  So in 3 drops you could kill 60 buildings hence over inflated hit %.

And as such there are quite often a great many kills to be had over friendy towns with enemy airfields close-by.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Bomber Points
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 09:12:32 AM »
Basically the bigger concentration of buildings grouped together so you can kill in one drop the better.

In terms of gameplay the large maps have "Zone" fields.   These are capturable and the strats will swap over if taken.   If you were to level the city first and then go about smashing the radar, training and ammo factories.  The enemy airfields attached to the zone field once porked will take much longer to come back up.

So looking at it strategically it would make it easier for a team to capture airfields within a specific area of the map but the amount of effort it would take would require alot of missions and squad co-ops.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Bomber Points
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 09:14:40 AM »
Originally posted by Xasthur
And as such there are quite often a great many kills to be had over friendy towns with enemy airfields close-by.

My favourite bomber fun recently is to take b17's go 7k  3 passes on town pretty much get it all dead.  If any fighters up I get kills if no-one is about go gunship style and finish the remaining buildings off.

Usually people up though and I have fun shooting em down.

;)
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Bomber Points
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 09:17:46 AM »

Cheers Bruv

Presumably town buildings arn't worth anything like as much as city buildings. Kind of silly though that there is an advatage in flying one bomer over 3. Do you re arm exactly the same as in a fighter and is it very difficult to get on the pad?
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Bomber Points
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 09:27:40 AM »
i'm not 100% whether a town building or city building have the same point score  Lusche??

Obviously hit % it doesn't matter.

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Bomber Points
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 09:30:23 AM »
Originally posted by Yarbles
Cheers Bruv

Presumably town buildings arn't worth anything like as much as city buildings. Kind of silly though that there is an advatage in flying one bomer over 3.

Advantage is relative...

Flying single Lanc vs. Lanc formation  gives you a minor advantage in hit% ad a cost of much less overall bombing score points. Your damage per sortie is higher, but it can be a long tedious process utilizing that. And taking a formation does not prevent you from rearming. You drones just stay on the ground after first rearm ;)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Bomber Points
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 09:34:27 AM »
I got out of the strategic game completely. Yes, I know when you get big attacks going with multiple sets of bombers it can impact game play but for the most part its a big yawn. It also appears that many of the good bomber hunters have gotten out of it to.

Everything I do now in bombers is geared towards either base protection or base captures. If our CV is operating anywheres close I behead the ords on the closest enemy bases in KI-67s and almost always succeed. And its guaranteed to not help my score much but who cares?

Some of these guys almost everything they do they do to protect their ranks or increase it. Yes I know they are very good sticks either way but I wonder if they are really having fun?

AH has done a terrific job modeling these bombers. Most are real sweethearts to fly. Fly them they way you want and forget about scores and ranks. Or, like the top ranked guys, you can up bombers 10 or 20 times a month, climb to 25,000', and bomb strats that nobody even knows are there. Then YOU can be ranked #3 in bomber ranking without ever even shooting an enemy down.:lol
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Bomber Points
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 09:35:30 AM »
i'm not 100% whether a town building or city building have the same point score  Lusche??

Obviously hit % it doesn't matter.

Bruv
~S~

I am not sure... I believe city gives more points, but I wouldnt put my money on that. I think I will do a test today or tomorrow.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Bomber Points
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 10:11:44 AM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
I                    Some of these guys almost everything they do they do to protect their ranks or increase it. Yes I know they are very good sticks either way but I wonder if they are really having fun?

AH has done a terrific job modeling these bombers. Most are real sweethearts to fly. Fly them they way you want and forget about scores and ranks. Or, like the top ranked guys, you can up bombers 10 or 20 times a month, climb to 25,000', and bomb strats that nobody even knows are there. Then YOU can be ranked #3 in bomber ranking without ever even shooting an enemy down.:lol

God Point I tend only to fly strategic when I am stdying for and exam (no Iam not a squeeker, i have to maintain my investment liscence) or doing something around the house. I leave them on a climb etc for 15 20 min at a time. That way its great fun ;)
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Bomber Points
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 10:15:51 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
I am not sure... I believe city gives more points, but I wouldnt put my money on that. I think I will do a test today or tomorrow.

Please let me know the result.

The problem with bombing towns over cities is bombing towns could do more harm that good to you side.
DFC/GFC/OAP