Author Topic: Naval Blockade anyone?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »
Originally posted by bsdaddict
It's their oil, isn't it?  Why not drill in Alaska, rather than start another war?

He nationalized it all last year.. It would be the same as having our govt take control of all foreign owned assets in our country. I've been expecting a hostel take over in his country every since Chavez started acting like a nut job. I kinda figured a "revolution" would start up sponsored by our govt.

I'm almost certain the only reason he's still alive is because he's been so public and in the news. Otherwise I'm sure he would have been taken out by now.
"strafing"

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2008, 11:31:35 AM »
Boycotting CITGO primarily serves to hurt independent American petroleum marketers. CITGO does not operate any company ops. CITGO has also been one of the better companies as far as taking care of its marketers, and it has some excellent marketers. It's a shame they have Chavez looming over their operations. Chavez is going to end up ****ing over the golden goose he uses to bribe the poor.

BTW, sat in on a presentation by Imperial Oil (Canada) on it's oil sands projects this week. Amazing stuff. Some of the sands have a viscosity higher than peanut butter, and the process involved with extracting the sands then converting it to bitumen or synthetic oil is pretty intense. It requires strip mining (often); a lot of energy and a lot of water. As long as crude stays above $40 to $50 bbl though it can make sense. There is even talk of using nuclear reactors for the energy component, though nuclear has some steep up front capital costs. Also, a lot of pipeline work needs to be done to fully exploit the oil as well as refinery enhancements to process. Of course, another significant source of oil sands in the hemisphere is Venezuela :(

Charon

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2008, 11:39:24 AM »
Originally posted by crockett
He nationalized it all last year.. It would be the same as having our govt take control of all foreign owned assets in our country. I've been expecting a hostel take over in his country every since Chavez started acting like a nut job. I kinda figured a "revolution" would start up sponsored by our govt.

I'm almost certain the only reason he's still alive is because he's been so public and in the news. Otherwise I'm sure he would have been taken out by now.

I thought he nationalized some domestic oil assets as well.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2008, 11:55:46 AM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
I thought he nationalized some domestic oil assets as well.

Yea it wasn't just Exxon. It's why I've been expecting him to blow up in a car or get shot for quite some time now. You just don't "steal" that kind of money from those kind of companies and not pay the piper.
"strafing"

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2008, 11:56:07 AM »
Originally posted by skernsk
You could assassinate a president, or invade my country and take over Fort McMurray, hell drop a few nukes here and there for good measure.

Or

Park the big ol SUV and use less fuel.  I dunno, that might be too tough, its easier to just go to war I suppose.

One thing for certain, fuel will be going up in North America, and there aint a gawd damn thing we can do about it.

Why even bother invading Canada. we could just go up and take the oil, they wouldn't care, especially if it is hockey season.:D

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2008, 12:52:41 PM »
Originally posted by Charon
Boycotting CITGO primarily serves to hurt independent American petroleum marketers. CITGO does not operate any company ops.

I understand that.  the stations are independently owned by americans...but the fact is.......what runs through their pumps is 100% chavez iol........ and in this case.......I perfer to kill the message and the messenger. the operators have the option to go with someone else, I'm sure...even under penalty...so that's their choice to make.

Kudo's to 711 for doing this and dumping Citgo already.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:32:28 PM by ZetaNine »

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2008, 01:16:22 PM »
isn't Chavez giving millions of gallons of heating oil to the poor in our own country?   Kinda funny.

Cant say i agree with his choices of taking over the oil inderstry in his country,  But he is not the first to do it either,  Russa did it a couple years back.  When they decided privatization of iol is not good for their country

Its the chances you take when you operate in a country.   Companies get fined and closed down when they do something not in the interest of the country they operate in.

Chavez  got elected because he talked about creating social programs to help his country,  including getting more of the money from there own natural resources..

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »
I am working on a few long term projects for the Fort McMurray area dealing with tar sands transportation via pipelines.  There are some pretty high dollar projects happening with many long term outcomes. The projection on three of the projects I am working on is a deal for 24" ID abrasion resistant pipes worth a few billion dollars.  We know that our material will outlast anything else up there on the abrasion resistant side of things but we can not guarantee we will be able to meet expected requirements on delivery.

The problem with a lot of that area is the companies that are investing heavily up there are owned by the Chinese government and they are tossing money around like it is sand on the beach.  A pretty good chunk of that oil up there will not make it into North America since the rights have been purchased by the Chinese. The only way to secure it for North America is for Canada and the US to agree to jointly nationalize the fields there but then you create an issue just like you have in Venezuela.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2008, 05:06:26 PM »
Lets look at this from a more of a financial standing. Venezuala has about $65.94 billion in its GDP. Exxon has that much money in its bank account.

I think we know who is going to win here.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2008, 05:12:22 PM »
70 % of Venezuela's oil exports go to the US, who is sticking who?

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2008, 05:35:12 PM »
$5 a gallon?

Oh the humanity!

When you're paying $2 a litre, let me know. You might get some sympathy! ;)
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Naval Blockade anyone?
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2008, 05:39:48 PM »
Let Chavez cut off the flow of money to Venezuela and he may join these guys.

Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.