Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2008, 01:51:31 PM »
Did the barren in NY just tip the 100$ mark, or did i hear wrong?

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2008, 01:52:58 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
You heard correct sir.  

I'm assuming you meant barrel not barren
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2008, 01:53:39 PM »
Originally posted by Tigger29
I diagnose and repair cars for a living as well.  I am an ASE L1 certified master technician with 15 years of experience.

There are two reasons I like to use it.  For one, my truck absolutely loves the stuff.. runs great.. has more power.. smoother.  Plus "bragging rights" to having something different...

Now as far as producing less power.. yes and no.  While gallon per gallon, ethanol has less energy than gasoline (thus making it less efficient), but in theory a vehicle can crank out more power using it... but you have to use MORE of it.  This is why using E85 typically results in a 10 to 15.. to 20% decrease in economy.

Quick question: whats the emissions difference between E85 and regular gas?
Do you still have / need a catalytic converter?

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2008, 01:54:45 PM »
Originally posted by trax1
You heard correct sir.  

I'm assuming you meant barrel not barren

hehe yeah barrel :)

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2008, 01:55:37 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen

$100 a barrel oil courtesy of OPEC telling the world they might have to drop production a bit.  Did I mention how much having an illegal price-fixing oil cartel in charge of world energy really bites?

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2008, 02:01:20 PM »
Originally posted by EagleDNY
$100 a barrel oil courtesy of OPEC telling the world they might have to drop production a bit.  Did I mention how much having an illegal price-fixing oil cartel in charge of world energy really bites?
Thats why we need more ethanol production here in the U.S, I know people say it's just as bad for the environment as crude oil is, but ethanol has a couple pluses to it that crude doesn't have, one it's renewable so we can make more of it when ever we need it, takes the Earth a few million years to make more crude oil, secondly we can tell OPEC to go to hell.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2008, 02:08:07 PM »

A great incentive to move to other fuels and less consumption before it gets worse. Nothing is done over night, but anyone who buys a NEW car now would be a fool if he buys a guzzler.

With the "low" dollar everyone "loses" really. The sellers of oil gets less real income and the american consumers has to pay more.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2008, 02:14:32 PM »
Yeah If I were to purchase a car now a days fuel millage would probably be my number 1 thing to look for in deciding on which car I'd want to get.  I'd really look hard at those new hybrid cars that get like 50+ mpg.

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2008, 04:25:46 PM »
I've heard that in Saudi Arabia they pay around 20 cents U.S to completely fill there tanks.
in suadi arabia they have all the oil they want, y should they have to pay more than 20 cents?
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Gas Prices
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2008, 04:54:02 PM »
Originally posted by Tigger29
I diagnose and repair cars for a living as well.  I am an ASE L1 certified master technician with 15 years of experience.

You are both correct and incorrect.  In the long run, yes ethanol is more expensive.. both to use and to produce.  The decrease per gallon cost is offset by the loss of fuel economy.

There are two reasons I like to use it.  For one, my truck absolutely loves the stuff.. runs great.. has more power.. smoother.  Plus "bragging rights" to having something different.

Two... It supports local farmers more so than middle eastern oil.  This is not for a political discussion at this time though, and I don't use it for political reasons.  All I know is I like it.. my truck likes it.. and even if it costs a bit more, I'll still continue to use it.

Now as far as producing less power.. yes and no.  While gallon per gallon, ethanol has less energy than gasoline (thus making it less efficient), but in theory a vehicle can crank out more power using it... but you have to use MORE of it.  This is why using E85 typically results in a 10 to 15.. to 20% decrease in economy.

To classify it as an "all around really bad idea"... well this is more opinion than fact.  As technology evolves and we're able to produce E85 more efficiently and from more products than CORN... well heck look at South America.. they are using Soy.. then there's switchblade alcohol.  If they can essentially use WEEDS that nobody is going to in their right minds consume or use for anything else than throwing away... then how is this an overall bad idea?

The problem is that this technology will never get developed if nobody supports it.  Our current methods of using Corn may be inefficient, but it is a "stepping stone" for our country.  The USA is driven by business.  A business is not going to develop a product (unless mandated by the government, and we all know how well that works out) that has little or no demand.  If people keep discounting E85 as a viable solution, then no one will invest in it and it will die away.

If we DO show this to be a profitable, viable option, they will explore further technologies, and eventually will be using weeds and garbage to fuel our cars.  Now.. is THAT a bad idea?

same approximate experience here.....areound 18-20 years, ase L1, state emissions repair license, brakes, suspension, electrical, heating, a/c, engine repair, state inspection license engine performance....i think that's it....

if i thought it would work better, then i'd back it in the blink of an eye....but brazille, i believe did try to use only ethonol...and they've reverted back to using gasoline if i recall.....
 i like the idea of hydrogen...again, if i remember correctly, there's a company in norway that's been using hydrogen in their vehicles since the 60's. they've got converters powered by the sun, about the size of a large refrigerator, that extract hydrogen from water, and they do it safely....when it's burned in the cars, the only thing to come out of the tailpipe is water. sounds much more efficient than ethonol.......and i understand how to make more power too........built a 9 second camaro for track only, and a 12 second mustang(100% street legal in NJ). the ethonol doesn't burn as hot, and i think this is why more is needed........
 i'll google some of the things i just mentioned when i get home tonight.....but please..keep these things comming! good conversation...and we all learn from it.....i never thought of the weeds idea.........

<>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Gas Prices
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2008, 04:55:06 PM »
Let the American Farmer and the market work on Ethanol for a while.  I don't doubt that the production efficiency will increase as they figure new methods of production.  Whether it comes from switchgrass, or genetically engineered corn, or raw sugar - I'd rather give the money to the farmers than to the oil dictators of the middle east and south america.  

The really bad idea is to leave ourselves at the mercy of an illegal price-fixing oil cartel (OPEC).

EagleDNY
$.02

true true.........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2008, 05:28:12 PM »
The worst idea is to pay massive subsidies on ethanol that cost you more than just buying oil, and put up your food prices as well.

A much better idea would be to buy a car that uses less fuel, that way you cut the amount of money you are sending to the Arabs, cut your bills, and don't increase the cost of food.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Gas Prices
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2008, 05:36:19 PM »
Originally posted by Nashwan
A much better idea would be to buy a car that uses less fuel

But we Americans need 0-60 in under 5 seconds and be able to haul pallets of groceries.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »
Lazs says we will never run out of oil. What's the problem?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2008, 06:42:10 PM »
Plus Europe is small compared to the U.S, we have to drive farther, and your car makers have been making your cars have great gas millage.
Funny how you have a few solutions to the American "problems", but you fail to mention them.   Albeit, in a passing sentence.

Oh yeah, since that explosion at the Texas refinery, gas went up .15 immediately.    They ought to get about 2-3 weeks of "free money" out of it.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC