Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 2302 times)

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2008, 10:04:22 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
Take into account that the amount of uses for Crude is increasing.  

Again.   You've made my point even more valid.    Once it's gone, it's gone for a long time.   Amazing how the same argument can be debated and folks still are left with the same fact.
There was another thread on here a few days ago and people were actually trying to argue that the planet will never run our of crude oil, and that the Earth will replace it, and that oil wells that have already been drilled are already starting to fill back up, utter nonsense.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2008, 10:24:07 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
You know knurd, I hate people that misrepresent the facts, too. You might want to retake reading comprehension 101 and take a manners course while you're at it.

Really?  Out of that "I don't think anyone can say how much oil we have or when we will run out or even if it is possible to.", you get "We won't ever run out of oil."?

I'd call it a lack of reading comprehension, but I think it's more likely that's just what you wanted to get out of reading it.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2008, 10:34:14 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
Take into account that the amount of uses for Crude is increasing.  

Again.   You've made my point even more valid.    Once it's gone, it's gone for a long time.   Amazing how the same argument can be debated and folks still are left with the same fact.

those are global numbers for proven reserves. as prices go up, profitability of getting more difficult oil does as well, and were always finding new oil.

canada actually increased its proven reserves of crude by 100 million cubic meters from 2001 - 2005 (statscan)

between tar sands and oil shale, canada and the US has 3.2 trillion total barrels of oil (wikipedia, and confirmed with other sites as best i could)
only a few hundred billion barrels are easily recoverable, and less than that with any degree of profitability...even at 100 a barrel. i cant find accurate numbers on the oil shale, but theres at least as much of it recoverable as there is tar sands...

47 billion of crude in canada (according to stats can)
21 billion barrels of crude in america. (according to several results on google)

canada and america consume 7.8 billion barrels of oil a year (according to the CIA world fact book and a slightly shakey conversion from million barrels a day to barrels a year). thats 12 years to every 100 billion barrels of oil,

canada has enough proven crude to last itself 40 years, if we stop exporting...more because that would be disastorous to the economy.
 we can get will into the next century with the tar sands.

america can feed itself for 3 years on its own oil.

between us, we have 8 years of our own oil for our own demand. this is at 2005 consumption.
with oil sand and shale...60 years.

we could get 100 years if we were the only oil consumers, and milked the current reserves of ourself, iraq and saudi arabia.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2008, 10:34:38 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
Really?  Out of that "I don't think anyone can say how much oil we have or when we will run out or even if it is possible to.", you get "We won't ever run out of oil."?

I'd call it a lack of reading comprehension, but I think it's more likely that's just what you wanted to get out of reading it.
Have you read the thread that he is quoting lazs from?

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=226974
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2008, 10:48:06 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon
those are global numbers for proven reserves. as prices go up, profitability of getting more difficult oil does as well, and were always finding new oil.

canada actually increased its proven reserves of crude by 100 million cubic meters from 2001 - 2005 (statscan)

between tar sands and oil shale, canada and the US has 3.2 trillion total barrels of oil (wikipedia, and confirmed with other sites as best i could)
only a few hundred billion barrels are easily recoverable, and less than that with any degree of profitability...even at 100 a barrel. i cant find accurate numbers on the oil shale, but theres at least as much of it recoverable as there is tar sands...

47 billion of crude in canada (according to stats can)
21 billion barrels of crude in america. (according to several results on google)

canada and america consume 7.8 billion barrels of oil a year (according to the CIA world fact book and a slightly shakey conversion from million barrels a day to barrels a year). thats 12 years to every 100 billion barrels of oil,

canada has enough proven crude to last itself 40 years, if we stop exporting...more because that would be disastorous to the economy.
 we can get will into the next century with the tar sands.

america can feed itself for 3 years on its own oil.

between us, we have 8 years of our own oil for our own demand. this is at 2005 consumption.
with oil sand and shale...60 years.

we could get 100 years if we were the only oil consumers, and milked the current reserves of ourself, iraq and saudi arabia.
To think that were gonna be just alright, and no need to worry about crude oil is shortsighted, no matter what we need to start getting ready for the day we have no crude oil left, the earlier we start getting ready for this the better off our country is gonna be.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2008, 11:11:40 PM »
Originally posted by trax1
To think that were gonna be just alright, and no need to worry about crude oil is shortsighted, no matter what we need to start getting ready for the day we have no crude oil left, the earlier we start getting ready for this the better off our country is gonna be.

sure. now i'll actually do a post you could respond like that to...

we have 50 years to do it.

start? START? we've already started...there is a lot of public interest in, and a lot of research going into this...do not think these efforts (and oil exploration efforts) will not increase in time, or yeild results.

without even trying, like we have started to in the past several years...

well

50 years ago we were getting 12mpg and 100 hp from a gasoline engine...
even 10 years ago, we could get  3 times that mileage, from a engine half the size, at better power ratings...

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2008, 11:15:01 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
I'd say it was pretty much dead on. I could have pulled the quote about oil magicly refilling.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2008, 11:22:54 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon
sure. now i'll actually do a post you could respond like that to...

we have 50 years to do it.

start? START? we've already started...there is a lot of public interest in, and a lot of research going into this...do not think these efforts (and oil exploration efforts) will not increase in time, or yeild results.

without even trying, like we have started to in the past several years...

well

50 years ago we were getting 12mpg and 100 hp from a gasoline engine...
even 10 years ago, we could get  3 times that mileage, from a engine half the size, at better power ratings...
Well from what you posted you made it sound as if you believed that theres no worries because we have all this oil.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2008, 11:47:55 PM »
Well from what you posted you made it sound as if you believed that theres no worries because we have all this oil.

well, if my natural optimism comes across in my writing style to the point that you feel the need to make a negative comment on it...when its contents are based on hard numbers and facts then there is little i can say or do about it.

Offline superpug1

• Probation
  • Silver Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2008, 11:57:53 PM »
Gas prices suck. my poor trucks only gets 9 to 12 mpg at the moment. She has an exhaust leak i gotta get sealed up. When she is running good, i can get 18 outa her.  If this stupid city had a decent public transit system i would gladly use it

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2008, 12:05:07 AM »
Originally posted by EagleDNY
Quick question: whats the emissions difference between E85 and regular gas?
Do you still have / need a catalytic converter?

Honestly... the newer cars that are flex-fuel are going to burn pretty darn clean to begin with, so the emissions difference is really not going to be that much, although E85 (85% grain alcohol) is going to burn cleaner.

And YES you still need a catalytic converter.. this is MANDATED by Federal law.  Keep in mind flex fuel vehicles can run on 100% gasoline (E0), or 15% gasoline (E85), or anywhere in between.

So even if Ethanol was magical and produced zero emissions (still not the case), the simple fact that you COULD run regular fuel would require the converter.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Gas Prices
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2008, 12:58:23 AM »
Well the good thing about it is it's a renewable energy source, unlike fossil fuels.

check these links..............

http://www.livescience.com/environment/051011_oil_origins.html

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38645

i've only partly read them...i'll read them more thoroughly tomorrow after work....but i've heard from others before this that this may be true......don't know yet though.........

<>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2008, 01:47:01 AM »
Originally posted by CAP1
check these links..............

http://www.livescience.com/environment/051011_oil_origins.html

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38645

i've only partly read them...i'll read them more thoroughly tomorrow after work....but i've heard from others before this that this may be true......don't know yet though.........

<>
Thanks for posting those links, I hope it turns out to be true.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Gas Prices
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2008, 08:46:09 AM »
no fair..  I didn't even get to answer before everyone beat up grocery boy?

I did say that we could run out of easy to get oil.   there is no way that we can run out of oil tho.. we can make the stuff from coal if we have to.. we can drill in the ocean.

the fact is that we will have to change our ways as it gets harder and more expensive.   this is natural and normal and part of progress and should be handled by the free market.. there is no earth crushing rush to do it.  it is not like we will "run out" in 30 or 100 years or.. as I was told.. by 1990.

We will "run out" of the easy to get stuff.

We somehow survived the "running out" of buffalo hides that were the only way to keep warm in our horse drawn buggies..  we survived the leather crisis that would have made it impossible to make any more buggy whips...

We will survive this..  I don't think looking into the future 50 or 100 years and saying what we will need or even have is very accurate.

It has been accurate so far at a rate of oh....  0 frigging percent.   A logical man would go with the odds..  

The rest of you can just get in your skycars and leave.

lazs

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Gas Prices
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2008, 03:58:54 PM »
Thanks for posting those links, I hope it turns out to be true.

i do too....as at the age of 45, i still haven't grown up......i have to have my fast cars..........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)