Author Topic: Landing  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: Landing
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 01:50:51 AM »
With landings like that, in the 80th not only would you qualify, but probably be made the instructor of landing procedures.

:)

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 05:58:12 AM »
WRONGO!!!

the good landings are full stall landings. if you have time to land properly, then ideally, you WANT to hear the stall horn just before/as you touch down. you can still land without stalling, but you need to be pitched nowe up slightly..as if entering a stall.
i always use full flaps, and flop ont o the runway in a stall, since i never rearm, i dont mind losing my engine. i usually rtb w/ 4, MAYBE 5 BUT get killed half way home :(
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 07:10:51 AM »
i always use full flaps, and flop ont o the runway in a stall, since i never rearm, i dont mind losing my engine. i usually rtb w/ 4, MAYBE 5 BUT get killed half way home :(

at least you get them. i was on for the firstr time last night in weeks......spent more time LOOKING for a good fight than fighting. kept getting tag-teamed, or finding ack hiders/ runners, or bomber astronaughts. i think the most kills i got in one run last night was 3..........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Cee64E

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 01:13:47 PM »
  I've been flying flight sims and RC planes for years and one thing holds true through all of it: Practice.  There are a few things to remember though.  At low speeds and high angles of attack, throttle controls your rate of decent.  Ideally you want to fly your whole approach with your nose on the horizon, but sometimes gravity doesn't pull hard enough for how fast you're going so a little nose down is ok.  The main thing is to get your speed down enough to be wheels and flaps down as you cross the end of the runway.  Rudder slips work well, I've even done that when rolled onto one wingtip to slow down AND lose alt fast.  The trick is in the flare, that little bit of nose up you give it just before you touch down.  Ideally you should just start hearing the stall buzzer come on as you touch down.  If you hear it before touchdown, give the throttle a little goose.  Once you're down, use rudder to keep you going straight.  Remember that pulling back on the stick locks the tail wheel and makes tracking down the runway much easier.  Just be sure to wait till your speed bleeds off before yanking the stick back or you'll hop up just high enough to stall and crash.  My final advice is to practice your landings in something that has a nose wheel.  Tri gears all handle better on the ground than tail draggers.  Good luck and good practice
R2, did we just blow up a gas station?

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 01:34:49 PM »
Landing is overrated...just belly the sucker.
Excellent brakes that way too!  :rock :D
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline Chewybacca

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 09:59:06 PM »
try to have a good angle. not to steep not to low. Dont stall. Press spacebar to brake, turn off engine.
 :salute
100th Bomb Group [H]
When life gives you bombers, bomb the hell outta everyone.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 11:03:29 PM »
I will draw you a picture  :noid

Go from here :                                                                   __
                                                                                | __/     \______/|
                                                                                |\___    _______ |
                                                                                      /   /O          o
                                                                                     /_ /

To here :
                                                                                        __
                                                                                | __/     \______/|
                                                                                |\___    _______ |
_____________________________ _________________________/   /O_____o_______________
                                                                                      /_ /

:rofl

Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 12:10:33 AM »
  I've been flying flight sims and RC planes for years and one thing holds true through all of it: Practice.  There are a few things to remember though.  At low speeds and high angles of attack, throttle controls your rate of decent.  Ideally you want to fly your whole approach with your nose on the horizon, but sometimes gravity doesn't pull hard enough for how fast you're going so a little nose down is ok.  The main thing is to get your speed down enough to be wheels and flaps down as you cross the end of the runway.  Rudder slips work well, I've even done that when rolled onto one wingtip to slow down AND lose alt fast.  The trick is in the flare, that little bit of nose up you give it just

i'm an r/c pilot too.....for about 7 years now. i have everything from a small electric corsair(lipo powered outrunner) to an 80" P51D. i have a world models T34 tht just about lands itself, a scale t34 that flys wonderfully, and an extra 300 that i absolutly love. my overall favorite though is the pony. it has a saito 4 stroke, is capable of 150 actual, and looks incredible doing a show pass, or a big slow barrel roll.

i've got 3 helis, and 2 trucks too :D

anyway, the foward slip is good for landing in a hurry...but don't forget.....this person was having trouble with basic landings. that's why i was teling him to actually fly a proper pattern and do it off line. that'd let him get good, very quickly, then he could advance to the harder stuff.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Cee64E

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 05:37:22 PM »
i'm an r/c pilot too.....for about 7 years now. i have everything from a small electric corsair(lipo powered outrunner) to an 80" P51D. i have a world models T34 tht just about lands itself, a scale t34 that flys wonderfully, and an extra 300 that i absolutly love. my overall favorite though is the pony. it has a saito 4 stroke, is capable of 150 actual, and looks incredible doing a show pass, or a big slow barrel roll.

I'm extremely jealous.  I've been flying RC semi regularly since the 70s.  Always had to do it on a budget though so I scratch built a lot of half-a planes.  The biggest one I own now is an original Duraplane 40 that I use to train new pilots.  I have a few of the Cox ARFs and a Global Gas Stick 10 with a thundertiger 15.  I just recently got an AxeCP heli but I'm a little nervous about flying that one yet.  Need more sim time. :D  If you want speed i used to have an Ace GLH2 with a Cox TD .051 that could hit 100 going into a pylon turn... :aok
R2, did we just blow up a gas station?

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 08:04:32 PM »
flying is mans 2nd greatest thrill.
landing is man's 1st greatest thrill :aok

every part of the flight is an option, except for the landing.
the 2 most usless things to a pilot are the air above him, and the runway behind him
 :D
2 most useless things to me r my used bullets, hit or miss, and the tower id ont wish to see, but probably will....I R TEH UBER NOOB!  :D
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 11:30:59 AM »
Here is Rolex's excellent write-up on Landing at Airfields from the Trainers' Website.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 12:22:07 PM »
I have a BIG problem with landing.
When I go down with about 80 mph and gears out I touched the ground and kind of make 3 or more summersaults (forward flibs) :uhoh
can ANYONE help? :cry I tried everthying and did everthying as described on the website. :huh

Sounds like a born SAPP member.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »
Pretty much the same for all planes i fly...... Landing gear comes down at just under 200 .............Land with one notch of flaps and just a little throttle......YOu want to be above the stall speed of your plane about 125 .... If you come in with just a little throttle it makes all the differance in the world. As soon as your down gently reduce throttle to 0 hit both brakes at the same time. RAISE flaps and gently pull back on stick.  As u reduce throttle you will have to move the rudder so plane will stay straight....

If you want to land with "training wheels"... Line up straight with runway.... gear down ...HIT "X" key ...and just throttle back and adjust flaps so u dont stall... You want to start your aproach speed between 140 and 110. and you want to be reall low on the runway....
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline patsfan110

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 01:43:26 PM »
what i do is tilt back a lot and once you touch the ground, start trying to stop.

Offline EvlPrsn

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 02:59:22 PM »
as long as ur on the runway, its a good landing   :aok

on a more serious note, how is it that u can take off and fly, but not land?  last time i had trouble landing a plane was when i was about 7....
If i said anything to offend u, plz ignore it.

also, if i say anything stupid or rude, it was probobly too late at night and i was half asleep, so ignore that too.

oh yeah, its all just my opinion, so if ya dont care, just keep it to urself, cuz if u dont care, i sure wont!